what model velvet drive do i have?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

poczatek

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Lil' Toot
Vessel Make
Marine Trader 34 Double Cabin
I have what I believe is a velvet drive straight drive transmission in my 1974 34 marine trader mounted to a lehman ford 120 hp diesel engine. I think it is the original engine and transmission. Maybe 70c or 71c, no tag so I really don't know. P.O. is not available for help. In my research I can only find shift levers that are vertical and move fore and aft for shifting. Mine has a horizontal movement lever mounted on top of the transmission, moving left and right, rather than the vertical one on the side. I plan to measure the distance from the bell housing to the flange; but I'm not near the boat presently to do that. Can anyone identify what Transmission I have with the information I've provided so far? Thanks for any help.

Look in your engine and documentation. It's gotta be in there somewhere.
Or find a group of owners and ask them.

To me, direct drive is 1:1, I doubt that is what you have, There will be a reduction somewhere in the neighborhood of 2.something:1

I'm trying to figure out if it is a 70c, 71c or which one it may be; and I haven't found any tags or numbers on the transmission yet. I'll look a little closer today. I don't have any paperwork for the engine or transmission. The part that has me stumped, is the shift mechanism mounted horizontal on the top which turns left and right, rather than vertical on the side moving fore and aft which all the images of these transmissions that I've seen show to have. I have not yet run up the engine or transmission yet; as I just purchased it a few months ago in dry storage. When i use the term direct drive, maybe I'm using the wrong term, I mean straight rather than V-drive.

Best bet, hunt for an owners' group.
You might be pleasantly surprised if you do a Yahoo or Google search. Start with "Marine Trader 34". You will no doubt find some for sale and maybe more. It's out there, you just have to figure out how to ask the question for the search. "Transmission specs for Marine Trader".

I am guessing the Marine Trader is no longer made, I really dont know.

If you spend enough time on a computer search, you might find a copy of the documentation, for a price.

Thanks Old Dan. I've been searching until my eyeballs were bugging out last night; but I'll go to the boat today and look closer for some ID numbers. I did find a velvet drive site that gave some dimensions to measure from the bell housing to the flange on the rear that may id the transmission. I can not for the sake of me, find any pics with a top mount mechanism.

Thanks Old Dan. I've been searching until my eyeballs were bugging out last night; but I'll go to the boat today and look closer for some ID numbers. I did find a velvet drive site that gave some dimensions to measure from the bell housing to the flange on the rear that may id the transmission. I can not for the sake of me, find any pics with a top mount mechanism.

Here's a start, tells you the yard, location and who imported them....

BoatUS - Boat Reviews - Marine Trader 34 Double Cabin

Owners' association

Home - Marine Trawler Owners Association

Post a photo of the gear.

Here is a photo of my set up. A bit newer and on a 135 but probably similar. Looks like my shifter moves in a verticals plane ie forward and back. The reduction gear is the large unit after the actual transmission. The I’d tag is close to the forward cable attachment on the trans case. May be covered in dirt and hard to see. It will contain the model no, reduction ratio and the serial no.

Aw, attaching a file is indeciferable to normal humans�� sorry

Another try.

Attachments

• 6A06FD7B-20AE-4A63-B07B-5046177413C8.jpg
    6A06FD7B-20AE-4A63-B07B-5046177413C8.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 146
In the library section of this forum under manuals, there is a Borg Warner Manual. It lists the actual dimensions for each model. Theres not much difference but it may help.

in 2000 I needed a replacement of one of my BW VD units. My mechanic had no difficulty accessing whatever information was needed to source the replacement. Find a good mechanic. Ask for his help.

Privately owned trany shop I've used for decades to service all my vehicles... in 2006 rebuilt one of our boat's 71C Velvet Drive BW's. Jim and Steve had no problem getting parts.

I've also seen BW VD's of different model #'s advertised on Craigslist and EBay; some already rebuilt, some not.

Paragon transmission

You are describing a paragon transmission it may have an internal gear reduction. Try to find a marine transmission mechanic or rebuilder like Maryland Marine Transmission in Churchton MD.

Zowns!!! That is the information he needed!!
Thank you for finding it.

Dan - "Zowns" That's a new one to me!! Cool word. :thumb:

I've had the address for many years. Also copied entire link and have it in a folder on computer as well as printed out and aboard boat.

Got pretty much same scenario for all items used on our boat. We do not plan to sell this Tollycraft till can't get aboard any longer. Plan that to be 25 more years! So... figured I'd better have plans available for everything.

Last edited:
velvetdrive

You don't have a velvetdrive. The picture you posted shows a Paragon transmission.

Looks like a velvet drive to me...

velvetdrive

Ski, You are correct. The picture shows a VD. Sorry. The original poster said that his shift lever was on top and that's what made me believe that it was a Paragon. The picture posted was from a different boat and poster. I still think the OP has a Paragon. It would help if the OP would post a picture of HIS transmission.

I'm trying to figure out if it is a 70c, 71c or which one it may be; and I haven't found any tags or numbers on the transmission yet. I'll look a little closer today. I don't have any paperwork for the engine or transmission. The part that has me stumped, is the shift mechanism mounted horizontal on the top which turns left and right, rather than vertical on the side moving fore and aft which all the images of these transmissions that I've seen show to have. I have not yet run up the engine or transmission yet; as I just purchased it a few months ago in dry storage. When i use the term direct drive, maybe I'm using the wrong term, I mean straight rather than V-drive.

I think the BWVD's are 71C or 72C, not 70C. Being behind a Lehman 120, you might find that the model is not a straight-through transmission, rather it may be a drop center model, that is, the output is lower than the input, a rather important fact. Here is a link you may find helpful.

Home

If your transmission is a drop center model, the model number may be 10-14-000-006.

Or try/ this.

Is the photo of YOUR gear box?

Mystery solved. I have a paragon transmission. Well, it's been in the boat for 40 years and working so I guess they must be ok. I've never had one of these before. I wiped off a bunch of oil/dirt and found R12663 JFC; which I've determined is a paragon. I'm not sure exactly which paragon, but I will find out. Boat was built in 1974.

Thanks for all the input; I appreciate it.

Note: there is a possibility of catastrophic failure in some Velvet Drive trannys if an internal drive lock nut is not properly secured.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom