View Single Post
Old 10-21-2011, 08:04 PM   #9
johnma
Guru

City: Philadelphia
Vessel Name: Dreamers Holiday
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
RE: Dock Lines (Spinoff from Labeling Lines)

DVD,

at our marina we have a fixed forward spring and aft spring. When backing into our slip, I angle the swim platform close to the dock and stop the boat. My wife gets off and places both spring lines over the cleat as i go by. Once they're on, I'm in. Stern and bow lines go on next.

However, you're right about east coast marinas. They're all different with long fingers, short fingers, no fingers. If I'm familiar with the marina I'll have whatever lines work best ready to go. If I haven't been there before I have bow lines, stern lines and spring lines ready on both sides of the boat.

The most important thing I do when travelling is look at how the other boats are tied up and find out what the tide range is. We're from Philadelphia also, (7' tide). We also often go to the Chesapeake (2' tide). Last weekend a guy brought his boat up from Annapolis to our marina on the Delaware to winter store at high tide and proceeded to tie off tight to the piling and left. we grabbed him and showed him the error of his ways.

John

390 Mainship, Philadelphia
johnma is offline   Reply With Quote