Trawler Prospect

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pedro

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
Cranchi Mediterranée 50 (Just Sold)
Hi friends, I am a longtime boater with experience in sailing and motorboats. I am contemplating buying a trawler for Ocean cruising, and hope to find some of my answers in this forum.

So far I have no idea what to buy, except that I wand something with 50' waterline or more.

Hi friends, I am a longtime boater with experience in sailing and motorboats. I am contemplating buying a trawler for Ocean cruising, and hope to find some of my answers in this forum.

So far I have no idea what to buy, except that I wand something with 50' waterline or more.

Hum a few more bars about what "ocean cruising" means to you.

Miami to FLL? Miami to Nassau? Miami to England? Miami to Hawaii?

-Chris

How about Miami to Rio, ultimately.

Well sir. Put this on the very top of your list of must haves: Very large fuel capacity. Second thing on you list: Very good fuel economy.

I haven't as yet started to visit boats, just studying in the net. What appeals to me right now is a Nordhavn 55.

Welcome!

If the N55 is within your budget, look at the Kadey Krogen 55 Expedition. I don't know if the waterline length meets your requirement, but I can't imagine it not meeting every other one you might have.

Best of luck!

I haven't as yet started to visit boats, just studying in the net. What appeals to me right now is a Nordhavn 55.

Based upon my experience with the N46, the 55 should be a excellent ocean going boat.

Make sure you get active stabilizers too. Coming down from LI on my 46, one night was moderately rough. The waves were coming back to pilot house windows, and the stabilizers were working like a champ.

The ONLY down side of a Nordhavn is the 8-9knt speed. It may take you a while to get 'there' but you will be safe, secure and comfortable. The Nordhavn will survive the storm long after you have tied yourself to the helm chair.

Check on the bow thruster HP (maybe 'up' it for wind and current) of the bow thruster and give consideration to a stern thruster too.

Oh, and the 'get home' engine too.

You can still find some 46 for sale, if you hunt around. I spent big bucks reworking the forward stateroom to include a full length hanging closet and lots of usable drawers, on the starboard side. Raised the port berth about 4 inches for additional storage making it about 3-4 inches wider, more than doubled the HP of the bow thruster.

The KK and American Tugs are great coastal boats but, in an offshore storm I'm not sure if you would be comfortable on either of those boats. Difficult if not impossible to install active stabilizers.

The KK and American Tugs are great coastal boats but, in an offshore storm I'm not sure if you would be comfortable on either of those boats. Difficult if not impossible to install active stabilizers.

Dan, cmon! Have you read about this TF member on a KK 42?? I'm sure he would have something to say about your "coastal boat" comment as he's crossing the Atlantic! Lol

https://dauntlessatsea.com

Dan, cmon! Have you read about this TF member on a KK 42?? I'm sure he would have something to say about your "coastal boat" comment as he's crossing the Atlantic! Lol

https://dauntlessatsea.com

Granted there are exceptions to every rule and the 42 no doubt has a draft of about 4ft. So I guess it should be possible to install active stabilizers.

Every successful cruise depends upon planning and skill.

I still vote for the Nordhavn but, if you cant find a suitable Nordhavn, the Kady Krogen is more than worthy of considering. Get out there and seek them out.

Last edited:
If the N55 meets your objectives, consider a much newer N52 for the same money. Read James Hamilton's blog site about the N52 Dirona.

Welcome Pedro! First off, I have to admit to being a bit envious of you for having both the time and money to be able to consider long term ocean cruising.

I am but a coastal cruiser myself, but if I was looking at boats for your purposes I would also be looking hard at the Nordhavn and KK as others have mentioned. Good luck with the search and your future adventures.

.....The KK....are great coastal boats but, in an offshore storm I'm not sure if you would be comfortable on either of those boats. Difficult if not impossible to install active stabilizers.

A lot of Krogens have stabilizers. Over 48’ most do and are active stabilizers.

Granted there are exceptions to every rule and the 42 no doubt has a draft of about 4ft. So I guess it should be possible...

The design draft of a KK42 is 4’7” at half load. At full load it’s almost 5’. Active stabilzers are very common on the KK42.

I wouldn’t rule out the KK55 Expedition model. It has great livability and is a passage maker. Twin 158 hp John Deers with each drive train having a skeg to protect the shafts and rudders. At 8 knots, 2400 mile range with a 10% reserve and at 7 knots 4300 mile range.

Puzzled by that comment. So many active stabilizers doing regular duty on all lengths of KK’s, save for the gunk holing Manatee 36 (only 3’2”) and there’s even two successful examples of that.

Are you following the 90/10 rule? Buy the boat for how you'll use it 90% of the time. We looked at NH and KK for a few years. Settled on the KK for 90% of the time we will not be in rough seas, far in open blue water, days from land. The KK should do fine crossing to Bermuda, the caribbean loop, maybe beyond, with a little weather planning, and perhaps toughing out a few bad circumstances over many years. The other 90% of days we're happy with the KK floor plan and ride.

Have friends that have had NH 55 and 64 and loved them.

Hello Pedro,

If also considering the exit strategy, the Kadey Krogen or Nordhavn probably offers you the most flexibility and speed when the time comes to sell. I have seen many very nice (mostly steel) passagemakers languish on the market for far too long.

Best Wishes

Since I plan to buy an used boat, but not so old that would require a lot of work, wouldn't it be possible that in the end availability will dictate the choice between the two brands? At present I am searching the US East Coast only, for boats 2010 and newer.

Since I plan to buy an used boat, but not so old that would require a lot of work, wouldn't it be possible that in the end availability will dictate the choice between the two brands? At present I am searching the US East Coast only, for boats 2010 and newer.

Excellent point. If you have your heart set on a particular model, but can’t find one to buy, it doesn’t do much good.

American Tug, Stuart FL
Greg Clark
401 862 1777

See what used boats he has in stock.

American Tug, Stuart FL

Greg Clark

401 862 1777

See what used boats he has in stock.

Does he handle boats other than AT? While I really love the ATs, I don’t think they would fit Pedro’s requirements.

Pedro, Go to the boat shows. Here are 3 near you:
Miami February 15-20
Trawlerfest-Stuart, FL March 8-11
Palm Beach March 22-25

Does he handle boats other than AT? While I really love the ATs, I don’t think they would fit Pedro’s requirements.

Guess you need to call him and find out.
Please tell him the owner of Kinja suggested you contact him.

Are you following the 90/10 rule? Buy the boat for how you'll use it 90% of the time. We looked at NH and KK for a few years. Settled on the KK for 90% of the time we will not be in rough seas, far in open blue water, days from land. The KK should do fine crossing to Bermuda, the caribbean loop, maybe beyond, with a little weather planning, and perhaps toughing out a few bad circumstances over many years. The other 90% of days we're happy with the KK floor plan and ride.

Have friends that have had NH 55 and 64 and loved them.

I think though you can't necessarily stick to the 90/10 rule if your goal is crossing oceans. You must still find a boat capable of handling the 10%. Now, I think KK has boats that can.

Two comments on Nordhavn. They have many boats, especially in the 62' range, that have done a significant amount of ocean crossing so clearly very capable. However, they would also like for you to believe they're the only ones capable. KK is. I've seen a lot of Selene's that did. Then you get into builders like Outer Reef, Horizon, and Cheoy Lee that have the ability plus smaller builders like Bering who can build boats that can make crossings.

I would say to find a boat that will do what you want but make sure it's one that still is good for the 90%. If that 90% is the ICW then it eliminates larger Nordhavn's with 7' drafts.

Since no one has asked yet, I'll be that guy! What's your budget?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom