Old 02-17-2018, 07:42 AM   #10
OldDan1943
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
I haven't as yet started to visit boats, just studying in the net. What appeals to me right now is a Nordhavn 55.
Based upon my experience with the N46, the 55 should be a excellent ocean going boat.

Make sure you get active stabilizers too. Coming down from LI on my 46, one night was moderately rough. The waves were coming back to pilot house windows, and the stabilizers were working like a champ.

The ONLY down side of a Nordhavn is the 8-9knt speed. It may take you a while to get 'there' but you will be safe, secure and comfortable. The Nordhavn will survive the storm long after you have tied yourself to the helm chair.

Check on the bow thruster HP (maybe 'up' it for wind and current) of the bow thruster and give consideration to a stern thruster too.

Oh, and the 'get home' engine too.

You can still find some 46 for sale, if you hunt around. I spent big bucks reworking the forward stateroom to include a full length hanging closet and lots of usable drawers, on the starboard side. Raised the port berth about 4 inches for additional storage making it about 3-4 inches wider, more than doubled the HP of the bow thruster.

The KK and American Tugs are great coastal boats but, in an offshore storm I'm not sure if you would be comfortable on either of those boats. Difficult if not impossible to install active stabilizers.