Why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lou_tribal

Guru
Vessel Name
Bleuvet
Vessel Make
Custom Built
I am sure the that title looks enigmatic but here is the question, not really related to trawlers but a bit in a way.
A lot of people (me included) posting here are recurrent, daily or almost, user, poster or whatever I can call them.
So the philosophical question.
Why?
Why are you involved in this forum?
Is it only for informative purpose?
Is it because you feel part of a community or "family"?
Is it only by curiosity?
Is it only because you have nothing else to do?

I will answer for myself. I am here to learn from you. To get support from more experienced people. Because I am interested in knowing what people loving trawlers think and do. And because I think this " community" is really cool and fun.

What about you?

L

I'm also active on C-Brats, The Hull Truth, Wall Street Oasis and some other finance forums.

Obviously the initial reason for me to join those forums was for info/insight from other like minded folks. But then after that I did embrace the community aspect (especially on C Brats and the Northeast subforum on THT). I have even formed friendships with some outside of their forums.

But then on some other boards I don't feel the love at all! Lol. The internet can lend itself very easily to little keyboard cowards and other random silliness (I've been part of it too! Sometimes it's hard to turn the other cheek). But that's to be expected I guess (most of the forums are public and free). Condescending comments and braggadocious personas are the worst.

Anyway, I'm a new member here and have found lots of VERY informative threads and helpful TF members. Good content here for sure!

Last edited:
Gives me something to do that is boating related while my boat is in it's winter hibernation.

Even though I have been boating 50+ years, I can always learn something new here. Until a few weeks ago I had no idea my hot water tank had a anode in it. Now I have it on my schedule to check yearly. It's also fun to pass on what I have learned to the new guys.

I also need to check every day to see what's new in the anchor world.

Found this forum when looking for our first boat and peering up at a steep learning curve. Stayed because of all the information available through the search function, people were quick to respond with answers to my questions, and have made (and even met a couple) new friends.

Most of all the above and Ive even been able to help a few out. Not to mention, meeting up with a bunch of great people that I probably wouldn’t have met.
So in short, I give a little, but gain so much more.
Thank You TFer’s!!

I am sure the that title looks enigmatic but here is the question, not really related to trawlers but a bit in a way.
A lot of people (me included) posting here are recurrent, daily or almost, user, poster or whatever I can call them.
So the philosophical question.
Why?
Is it only for informative purpose?
Is it only by curiosity?

I will answer for myself. I am here to learn from you. To get support from more experienced people. Because I am interested in knowing what people loving trawlers think and do. And because I think this " community" is really cool and fun.

What about you?

L

For me, it's pretty much like you said Lou. A community of common interest - such as a club one might attend where all share the same or similar hobby - but in this forum, we can share our interest with folk all over the world. neat eh..? :D

Last edited:
It is a community, we get to meet,sometimes in person,more often by message.
But most importantly,it`s a conduit for exchanging and sharing information, and knowledge. You can learn,a lot. Conversely,you can share your knowledge when it helps someone, so they learn too.

Hi,

Just about everything you "Lou tribal" thought, the main focus was to learn the new and community that like Trawler boats and lifestyle and see how people think about things in your culture in the US.

The main reason was when I was changing a boat and I had decided to buy a Trawler type, so finding information directly from users because, for some reason, the Trawler boats are not popular, so there was no information.

Something to get, to give something, it makes this a real active forum interesting and best of all is in a good spirit, not a nasty and hostile conversation.

NBs

Last edited:
Interesting questing...

Is it [STRIKE]only[/STRIKE] for informative purpose?
Yes, but not only..
Yes, in part...
Is it [STRIKE]only[/STRIKE] by curiosity?
Partly...
Never. I'm here in spite of having much more productive things that I should be doing (and no, it isn't binge watching Battlestar Galactica on Amazon)

Before I joined, I already new you only needed one engine and which anchor to choose. But there were other things such as "Salon or Saloon" that I was in doubt about. I have net some good like minded people that share this same adventure. Have learned a great deal about many interesting cruising areas that I likely will never get to. Certainly there is a great wealth of information here and hopefully I've been able to help one or two others along the way.

Ted

Opinion from a newby:

The forum is a launching point for learning. The threads themselves are good for learning from others doing and living the life. The discussions give alternatives, or prove and disprove theories; and even the thread drift usually has something of value (or include a welcome respite of humor)

In the past few months I've grown my theoretical understanding enough to apply what I see or read to a growing nautical picture. Following your discussions is easier and more interesting because I've gained that minimum of knowledge

As Winter winds down I'll be able to spend some more dock time just dreaming and seeing who'll talk to a landlubber. And hopefully a bit of more hands-on to validate what I've read, forgotten, understand (and correct what I misunderstood).

Owning an actual boat is still in the future, but I have access to local Yacht clubs etc, to get hands on training as that date gets closer.

But even before all that, this forum does good by teaching and pointing out new questions that need answering. Besides, reading and participating here is fun, so all this process from starting from zero isn't an onerous chore but an enjoyable journey.

I find it entertaining.

For all the information available on this site. Now if I could remember 1/2 of it I would be very happy.

I like talking and reading about boats. My non-boating friends do not.

200w.gif

To learn from everyone else and make my cruising more enjoyable. And if I can do the same for anyone else - bonus! Develop some in-person friendships I wouldn't have otherwise made - lottery win!

JustBob
M/V Mahalo - Blog

easy answers

* It appears that I'm actually working :)

and, there is no one around within a 6 hour drive to ask about salt water boating.

As a lifelong sailor who was never what one would call "handy" with small outboard motors, and recent convert to a small "trawler" (actually an old Scandinavian-style motor cruiser) I'm here to learn as much as I can about boats powered by inboard Diesel engines.

I thought this was an Amway meeting.

Why? Because this is the only forum that fits my particular interests right now and targeted to real substance of boating across a wide variety of regions in a variety of boats. And it is probably the only forum these days with a bunch of addicts that I know of on the net where everyone gets along. :thumb:

Great!! A forum for a bunch of addicts. Law enforcement will be checking us out for sure now!

Back
Top Bottom