Data Logger?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arthurc

Guru
Vessel Name
Sea Bear
Vessel Make
Kadey-Krogen 54
I’m just finishing out my electronics on the retrofit and was wondering if anyone has built or setup a data logger to track/store all the readings off n2k and 0183? Specifically I was thinking about a simple windows app that just pulled nmea off my rosepoint Nemo device (n2k to TCP) and stored it in a table. Would be super interesting to be able to go back and look at temp readings over time on the engine/mechanical systems. Would also give very specific engine usage/rpm data.
I’m using costal explorer and haven’t looked to see if it does that but I don’t think so, will be moving to TimeZero Pro in the next few weeks as I’m an all Furuno boat and the integration is awesome.
Doing so requires a bigger PC so I’ll have a spair PC to do data logging and act as a backup.

Thoughts?
AC

Yeah I saw that but I think much of the value is being able to look at the data easily, transferring via a usb stick means you almost would never look.

Looks like I will be building one, ill keep this group updated. The more I think about it there are a few combinations of inputs/sensors that when combined could lead to really interesting diagnostic or early failure warning. Examples are:

Stuffing Box Temp, RPM, Water Temp

Water Temp, Pre-Engine Water Temp, RPM

EGT, RPM

Alternator Case Temp, Ambient Air Temp, RPM

Im sure there are a bunch more, curious if anyone else has thought through this. building all those models feels like a great project during a longer trip on the boat :)

AC

Well that was a short-lived dream... It turns out that since there isn't yet a standard for getting NMEA 2000 into TCP both the Rosepoint NEMO and Maretron units use proprietary protocols, looks like ill be shelving this idea until the OneNet standard is released. The RosePoint folks were quick to say they are eager to support it so hopefully this year.
AC

Maretron has one ready to go but maybe part of the satisfaction in your case would be building it yourself.

https://www.maretron.com/products/vdr100.php

The good thing about the VDR100 is that it records everything on the N2K bus. That's every single message. The bad thing is that the software tools for it really suck, almost to the point of being unusable. And it only works with a limited set of USB storage devices because it can't provide enough power to them.

I have used it to capture data for a few experiments, and it did the job, but was quite painful to do. Even exporting data to excel proved problematic, not because of the VDR, but because it choked and crashed excel because there was so much data.

Yeah thats my understanding from reading about it as well, I think until the standard is out and we can selectively choose messages and polling interval this won't be worth the project time. All that said the more I think about it the ability to look at correlations between various sensors could be a huge step forward in failure prediction.
Maybe it will get released before my 3 week trip this summer...
AC

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom