Found my trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Adagio43

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Brigadoon
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 32
I have finally made the transition from sail to power. Just closed on a 2002 Nordic Tug 32. She is located in Florida and Come April I will be moving her to Florida. Looking forward to life at 9 knt’s.

Attachments

• 2084C242-4AEB-4F5F-BB8D-214F7307CA80.jpeg
    2084C242-4AEB-4F5F-BB8D-214F7307CA80.jpeg
    93.8 KB · Views: 213
Nice boat and welcome aboard. You'll be moving her from FL to FL. Actually with our state that can be a long move. Care to disclose from where to where?

Nice boat and welcome aboard. You'll be moving her from FL to FL. Actually with our state that can be a long move. Care to disclose from where to where?
BandB
My mistake. It’s from Melbourn FL to Groton, Ct via Fort Lauderdale. I know I’m going south to to go north but I need to get the rug and cushions replaced. So, Lauderdale first and then CT.

Where you paying sales tax?

Sail to steam

Looking forward to life at 9 knt’s.

That would be about 4 kts faster than you are used to.

Just kidding :lol:

That's a great looking Nordic. My wife loves and wants a 32 Nordic.

Congratulations, good looking boat. I like the top over the cockpit. What motor does she have?

Toot toot congratulations!

To be a seaworthy fine boat, you will certainly enjoy NT. In my opinion, you can save a lot of fuel if you have enough 7kn speed.

NBs

Toot toot congratulations!

To be a seaworthy fine boat, you will certainly enjoy NT. In my opinion, you can save a lot of fuel if you have enough 7kn speed.

NBs

I agree there. At 32ft, 9 knots is some way above her hull speed. So although she could do that, fuel consumption would probably be somewhere in the vicinity of double what it is at 7kn, as NBS above points out.

Lovely boat though. You will have a great time with her. As someone who also came from sail to power, while I loved sailing, as one gets older and less subtle, and the family get larger, and even grandchildren come along - power is good - very good. :thumb:

Good boat. But wished they had railings and wide decks wrapping around the whole boat.

Good boat. But wished they had railings and wide decks wrapping around the whole boat.

"wide Decks wrapping around the entire boat." another viewing angle, wide Living space, more space and if hell out of the high seas, it is more stability buoynce if the deck is pressed underwater.:thumb:

When you have side doors, they will replace the walk around and make the single hands so easy.:whistling:

NBs

Please explain.

Mark, I think NBS meant that with pilot doors both sides, walk-around decks are less important, and the positive trade-off is not only increased interior volume, but that volume translates into more buoyancy laterally if the side decks are submerged in foul weather. That is, contributes to a better self-righting moment.:)

Nice looking boat, congratulations.
Richard

Congratulations that’s a good looking boat.

Good choice. I wish you many happy cruises.

Congratulations, good looking boat. I like the top over the cockpit. What motor does she have?
Thanks. She has a 220 HP Cummings 6BT repowered in 2007.

I agree there. At 32ft, 9 knots is some way above her hull speed. So although she could do that, fuel consumption would probably be somewhere in the vicinity of double what it is at 7kn, as NBS above points out.

Lovely boat though. You will have a great time with her. As someone who also came from sail to power, while I loved sailing, as one gets older and less subtle, and the family get larger, and even grandchildren come along - power is good - very good. :thumb:
I am looking forward to finding the right RPM/KPH/GPH for me. But you are right about moving from sail to power. At 72 my ocean crossing days are over. Time to sit back and enjoy the ride but I will miss the thrill of the boat healing to a breeze and taking off.

Congrats! Nordic was in our top three before we found our AT, love those Nordics and that blue hull is beautiful!
Wait, you're a Florida resident but moving the boat to Groton...?

You have to pick between side decks and interior space. You can’t have both in 32’. Dual pilot house doors give me good access to the fore deck and most importantly, the midship cleats. I rejected a very nice Camano 31 because it didn’t have any pilot house doors. As a single hander access to the rails and foredeck was more important.

Congrats! Nordic was in our top three before we found our AT, love those Nordics and that blue hull is beautiful!
Wait, you're a Florida resident but moving the boat to Groton...?
Yes, Groton, CT. I live aboard in the summer and return to my home in Florida for the winter. I have been very lucky in life.

Mark, I think NBS meant that with pilot doors both sides, walk-around decks are less important, and the positive trade-off is not only increased interior volume, but that volume translates into more buoyancy laterally if the side decks are submerged in foul weather. That is, contributes to a better self-righting moment.:)

An Aussie translating for a Finnish dude.....I love it!!!!

An Aussie translating for a Finnish dude.....I love it!!!!

:lol::thumb:hi,

A good interpretation of this meant stability in the matter.

Single hand sailing side doors can be accessed quickly to put doging lines, long side, med style or bow first attachment vs twisting behind side decks, i know both of them do not have a narrow perspective on the case because my old boat had wide decks around the walk but no side doors .

Taste things ...

NBs

Pilot doors don't substitute for walk-around decks: they compliment each other. ... If one's worried about side decks being submerged, one shouldn't have large windows but instead large scuppers. ... If you want volume, just check out the latest cruise ships carrying 5000 or more souls.

You have to pick between side decks and interior space. You can’t have both in 32’. Dual pilot house doors give me good access to the fore deck and most importantly, the midship cleats. I rejected a very nice Camano 31 because it didn’t have any pilot house doors. As a single hander access to the rails and foredeck was more important.

I lean toward boat handling rather than living space.

There is a narrow "side deck" on the NT 32/34's. It's about a foot wide and you can shuffle forward and aft holding the rails along the salon roof. Side doors make docking easy in slips with finger piers. I just step out of starboard door with mid-ship line in hand, onto finger pier and cleat to pier before setting dock lines at stern and bow... easy-peasy (I dock bow in). Side doors also make it easy going forward for anchor work or mooring pick-up. Cruising between 7 and 10 knots, you can anticipate an average 2 GPH fuel burn (my average burn rate over 13 seasons). A steady 7 knots should come in less than 1.5 GPH. To Peter B's "9 knots is some way above her hull speed" comment, my semi-displacement NT32+, 270 HP 6BTA wide-open throttle at 2600 RPM tops out at 18 knots. Per Cummins, the sweet spot on my 6BTA is 2200 rpm, meaning I could run all day at about 12-14 knots (wind and weather permitting). Granted, at that speed, I'd be burning about 12 GPH, but nice to carry that speed if trying to run away from some weather. I normally cruise around 9 knots.

Groton. Sub base or Gales Ferry marina? Great cruising grounds at your doorstep and the Nt32 is an ideal New England boat to do it in! Congratulations.

I lean toward boat handling rather than living space.

You like side decks. Others have a different opinion. Whatever works. Curious though, when would not having an aft side deck cause a major issue in regards to boat handling if access to the forward and midship area is accessible as explained by others?

OP, congrats on your new boat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom