Help Finding a Special Piece of Gear

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dirtdoc1

Vessel Name
Ann-Elyse II
Vessel Make
North Pacific 45
I sold it with my boat and now cannot find one because I can't remember the name of it. It's basically a snap hook that has a built in rope clutch that is activated by a thumb lever. It's a very clever piece of gear but very hard to find. It's made of stainless steal and it connects to the end of a rope with the built in clutch rather than using a regular snap hook with an eye that you have to splice the rope to.

Does anyone have a clue of what I'm trying to describe? I apologize for doing such a poor job of it. I've been emptying drawers, searching through catalogues, looking online and am at my wits end. Then I thought of the Trawler Forum! Somebody there must know of it.

Last edited:
Sounds like a device for rock climbing...not a carabiner...a...can't think of it

I'm not sure what you're looking for, but here's one interesting.

NBS

Or Buoy hook

Last edited:
Looked there.

No.

No.

I have the mooring rod or whatever it's called. It works but you have to keep it clean and oiled. It's also a brilliant piece of gear.

The device looks like the devices that you guys have shown except it accepts the end of a rope in the clamping device on the back of it. You can open the clamp up to pull more line through it. When you release the clamp the rope is held tight and cannot move no matter how hard you pull on it. It looks like a snap hook or hook clip but is thicker and has the clamping device built into the back of it. That way you don't have to splice a line to the eye. You just open the clamp, pull the line through and let go and the line is held in place. The harder you pull on the line the tighter the line is held in place. Now you have a clip on the end of your line or anywhere on the line that you choose. It's brilliant! I don't know why they aren't more widely used. I bought a few of them but they all went with my old boat. I may have to call the guy that bought it and ask him to get the name off the thing. That's how I found it online. I don't remember how I got the first one.

This is driving me crazy but thanks for trying!

Last edited:
If you don't have a picture of it, can you draw a sketch of it and post it?

Ted

Camjam cord tightener?

In The climbing world releasable rope clutches are call ascenders.
There may be different configurations available

https://www.rei.com/c/ascenders-and-descenders?r=c&origin=web&ir=category%3Aascenders-and-descenders&page=1

I made a Mast climbing rig with a pair of them a few years back.

Rope clutch on Amazon?
https://www.amazon.com/YGROW-Adjustable-Hanger-Ratchet-Capacity/dp/B078RR9R41/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1518629246&sr=8-14&keywords=rope+clutches

These guys also make smaller versions for use with Paracord etc. Handy for tensioning covers, shades etc.. (Camjams) I use a pair to tension my front sunshade triangle..

https://www.niteize.com/collection/Tie-Downs-and-Bungees.asp

NCJLA_Feature_04_l.jpg

Last edited:
In The climbing world releasable rope clutches are call ascenders.
There may be different configurations available

https://www.rei.com/c/ascenders-and-descenders?r=c&origin=web&ir=category%3Aascenders-and-descenders&page=1

I made a Mast climbing rig with a pair of them a few years back.

Rope clutch on Amazon?
https://www.amazon.com/YGROW-Adjustable-Hanger-Ratchet-Capacity/dp/B078RR9R41/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1518629246&sr=8-14&keywords=rope+clutches

These guys also make smaller versions for use with Paracord etc. Handy for tensioning covers, shades etc.. (Camjams) I use a pair to tension my front sunshade triangle..

https://www.niteize.com/collection/Tie-Downs-and-Bungees.asp

NCJLA_Feature_04_l.jpg

Heron,

That's basically what it is but the one that I'm looking for is all stainless steel and made for marine applications. But that is definitely on the right track!

Thank You!!

Anything here look like what you are looking for? What are you going to use it for?
https://www.defender.com/category.jsp?id=2358485&path=-1|118

Are you back home? Was 10 days of boat show enough for you?
Dan

Hey Reb,

10 days at the boat show was more than enough. I had a great time until the last day when a couple of parents were happily watching their teenage son run my recliner back so far that it got jammed in the wall storage bin. I don't know how Trevor does it.

I'm back home in sunny CA but I miss my boat. I hope all is well with you.

Cheers!

You are looking for

An ascender

Benthic2!!!!!

That's it. A Danik Hook. You got it Benthic! Thank You soooo much!

THIS SITE IS SO AWESOME!!

Last edited:
25f1a62d-7031-423b-a564-62c654328571_1.04028f4d9c0394e98c1622c5888334e0.jpeg

This doesn't look stainless....but it says it is...(but its from Walmart)

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Slide-An...-8-to-5-8-Line-Holds-Up-to-8-000-lbs/46891100

Benthic,

I can't believe it's from Walmart either! I have owned this gear and can assure you that it is stainless steel. They are heavier looking in person. They are actually quite heavy. That can be an issue if you're using it for light applications but if you want to secure the anchor or something that requires strength the stainless Danik Hook does the job. They also make them out of high impact black plastic. I use both. They are great for people who can't splice. I bought a splicing kit and book and ruined more line. I finally gave up when I discovered the Danik Hook. Thanks again for your post!

Cheers,

I use a truckers hitch. There is one attached to every single line I own. ;)

And what is that?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trucker's_hitch

It's the predecessor to the ratchet strap. It allows you to put tremendous tension on the line without introducing slack through slippage (e.g a taughtline hitch would slip under high tension). However the hitch is very 'breakable' (can be easily untied after being put under high load (unlike a bowline).

Now admittedly, I'm not 100% clear on how the OP is using the Danic hook. It looks very much like the hook portion can be attached, then tensioned fairly easily. Hence my parallel to a trucker hitch.

That is a very cool knot. I forget how to do it though. My father in-law was a trucker and showed me how to do it years ago. You make a loop a couple feet up from your cleat and run the line from the cleat up through the loop then pull hard back to the cleat. It allows you to get the line really tight. Something like that anyways.

I'm not using the Danik Hook for that purpose. I use it on the end of a line that I don't want to tie to something. It's great for connecting one end to an anchor and the other end is lashed to a cleat to secure the anchor during cruising. Same use for the life raft leader.

Last edited:

one of my most used knots both on and off the boat...

my claim to fame may be tying a bazillion things on top of cars, trucks and trailers over 40 years both recreationally and professionally and never lost anything on the road.

hence loving the truckers hitch. :)

Benthic,

I can't believe it's from Walmart either! I have owned this gear and can assure you that it is stainless steel. They are heavier looking in person. They are actually quite heavy. That can be an issue if you're using it for light applications but if you want to secure the anchor or something that requires strength the stainless Danik Hook does the job. They also make them out of high impact black plastic. I use both. They are great for people who can't splice. I bought a splicing kit and book and ruined more line. I finally gave up when I discovered the Danik Hook. Thanks again for your post!

Cheers,

Looks like a handy piece of gear. My only question would be if it affects line strength much. That is the advantage of a splice over most knots. However, most of the time our line is oversized for the job to keep it comfortable to handle.

..I'm not using the Danik Hook for that purpose. I use it on the end of a line that I don't want to tie to something. It's great for connecting one end to an anchor and the other end is lashed to a cleat to secure the anchor during cruising...
I use a simple snap shackle for that. However, it is a nice piece of kit and could help me secure a tight line to brace a crane mast.But I doubt Walmart ships here, a search is in order.

Walmart is just another online sales channel these days like eBay or Amazon.

When sold directly by them as opposed to third parties, their return guarantee is excellent, for large/heavy stuff they've even let me return online purchases to a B&M location.

Amazon's really shafted me a few times in the past year, so they're now much lowrr down my list of preferred sources.

Walmart is just another online sales channel these days like eBay or Amazon.

When sold directly by them as opposed to third parties, their return guarantee is excellent, for large/heavy stuff they've even let me return online purchases to a B&M location.

Amazon's really shafted me a few times in the past year, so they're now much lowrr down my list of preferred sources.

I've never been a Walmart fan. However, them taking over from smaller retailers isn't all their fault. The small retailers often failed to respond. So, I now applaud Walmart and their aggressive response to Amazon.

They've matched Amazon's free shipping but without the cost of Prime. They've offered return to store like Costco. And they've purchased several online businesses including Jet. As a result, their sales are up, not down.

Amazon has been aggressive in their marketing and their strategy, but I’ve not seen any evidence of them being predatory. Walmart definitely is. I try to avoid doing business with them unless absolutely necessary.

Amazon not predatory?

Really?

Being predatory is demanded by investors, bit late now to start trying to save small businesses or prevent monopoly / ogilopoly at this late stage.

Amazon not predatory?

Really?

Being predatory is demanded by investors, bit late now to start trying to save small businesses or prevent monopoly / ogilopoly at this late stage.

Buying Whole Foods not predatory? Becoming a huge seller of appliances? Their desire to be selling every product?

However, I believe they've lost some of their edge and advantages and that's now opened up opportunities for others. No one is going to beat them but plenty of room then left for well run retailers to also succeed.

For those with new products, Amazon has opened up opportunities as you can get your product in front of the huge market at a reasonable cost.

Perhaps the book that is needed for others is "How to Thrive in a Time of Predatory Retailers." All the gloom and doom doesn't always come true. Many retailers had very good years in 2017. All are not mismanaged.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom