Coot 35

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aviatohi

So just as I am getting the logistics together on a Mainship 400 purchase a boat much closer to what I truly have been seeking pops up. I know some basics about these but wondering if some owners could chime in? I've never given thought to a steel boat but this one gives me the warm and fuzzies. Wondering what one might expect from a 13 year old Seahorse make.

2005 Seahorse Coot 35 Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

There were 2 of these for sale in my area, I believe one still is (Port Angeles, WA). I have not looked at them closely but I like the lines.

We have a version that of the same JD engine, and although we have owned it a short time - I like what I read and how it operates.

If the boat makes your heart sing, there is not much else to worry about.
:D

Best Wishes

Mark... Where are You???!!! :D :popcorn:

Last edited:
He'll get there guys. Give him time. Might be out communing with nature and with all the trappings of the city life turned off. If so, good on him.

aviatohi, search "Seahorse" on www.boatpoint.com.au.The boat was listed for auction in early December 2017. Perhaps it did not sell, or the buyer is reselling. Markpierce (mentioned above) loves his.

Wifey B: Mark loves two type boats. Cruise ships and his Coot. :D

Have directly answered Aviatohi's personal question to me. ... My naturally-aspirated 4-cylinder JD "sings" and runs as smooth as a sewing machine.

Last edited:
He'll get there guys. Give him time. Might be out communing with nature and with all the trappings of the city life turned off. If so, good on him.

Yeah, spent time on the southern Mendocino Coast (Gualala) in one of St. Orres cabins (my only Internet connection is with a desktop computer at home), then celebrating second son's 35th birthday, and anticipating Valentine's Day. Life is busy.

Last edited:
So just as I am getting the logistics together on a Mainship 400 purchase a boat much closer to what I truly have been seeking pops up. I know some basics about these but wondering if some owners could chime in? I've never given thought to a steel boat but this one gives me the warm and fuzzies. Wondering what one might expect from a 13 year old Seahorse make.

2005 Seahorse Coot 35 Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

This boat went up for online auction in December. Opening bid was AUD$89,000, but there were no bids. I would have bid if it was closer to home.

The Seahorse Coot looks like a great boat. My only disappointment is the 'wet head'.

Maybe one that is a few feet longer would include a separate shower and you will have more space to fill up with parts and clothing and and and. But you get the boat you want and ignore my comment. I bought a 34ft and in hindsight, the 42 would have been better. I am very happy with my boat but potential sailing partners.... well let's say, I had one come on board spent 5 minutes looking around and determined too small, not enough closet space. LOL Her loss.
I offered 1/2 the closet and a drawer. I think she remembered my 46ft Nordhavn too much. LOL

Last edited:
age, that "as is" does get my negative attention.

Yes. The 'as is' got my attention too, especially after the write up about it handling well in a monsoon yet now is for sale for a higher price than a failed auction with no bids. Too many connotations here. That's how my brain works even though I'm aware that it may be nothing. It is a very nice looking vessel regardless.

FYI. Fat fingers and overzealous word correction software conspire to make my posts interesting, to say the least. Age has nothing to do with it with those two culprits looking to sabotage what I type. :)

OP, would I be correct in assuming that the Seahorse Coot is giving you the "warm and fuzzies" because it's better looking than Mainship 400? To me, pilothouse type boats are the best looking. But there is something that might matter to you on the smaller ones and that is the saloon being much lower than deck level. On most larger ones, the saloon is deck level or slightly higher and the pilothouse raised. On deck-level saloons, you have a much better view of the outside in a seated position whereas on lowered saloons, you have to stand to get a good view. To me a good view is seeing the water. Maybe something to look at when you tour the boat.

There is (was) a Coot for sale in town. Not to be critical but what surprises me is how small the interior is. Wide side decks and low freeboard means no accommodations under the side decks. So the interior is only as wide as the house.

There is (was) a Coot for sale in town. Not to be critical but what surprises me is how small the interior is. Wide side decks and low freeboard means no accommodations under the side decks. So the interior is only as wide as the house.

Wifey B: Tradeoff. Wide decks with high rails mean less space inside. Rides big, lives tiny. :ermm:

Thanks for the feedback. I think what will happen is I will aim low on the Mainship since it is very new to the market. If that owner says no I will aim lower on the Coot. Both pending inspection. Apart from the trip "home" most of the trips would be inside the Bay of Thailand and average about 100 nm each way. The Mainship would be slightly quicker on that, and has additional speed when necessary. But I'm sure the Coot could get the job done as well as having more ruggedness when dealing with some of the more remote parts of Thailand (and fish traps just below the surface). Just wonder what the Seahorse products are like 13 years down the road and how many corrosion issues I am looking at since it sounds like the boat has not been used in a year or two. The broker has said some "non structural" steel elements will need cutting and replacing. That doesn't concern me as much as the hitherto unknown structural damage which is probably occurring. Considering the following photos.

3.jpg

2.jpg

Capture.jpg

Last edited:
Not being a steel boat-hull proficient boater this input is simply due to common sense and memories regarding other steel items I've owned concerning land based venue.

Also... I well recall the rust problems with "Steel Craft" pleasure boats back in the 1950's on Atlantic coast.

Man o' Man; that type if rust problem in photos would make me check the entire boat really well. I'd be hard put to purchase a boat with few years on it that is already rusting that badly... even if only in a few spots.

Just saying!

The Seahorse Coot looks like a great boat. My only disappointment is the 'wet head'. ...

:confused: My Coot 35 has a separate shower compartment.

Most of the space under the deck is occupied by fuel and water tanks. Under-floor space below the settee benches has storage space. There is storage under the port seat in the pilothouse as well as many nooks and crannies, cabinets, and hanging closet.

Man o' Man; that type if rust problem in photos would make me check the entire boat really well. I'd be hard put to purchase a boat with few years on it that is already rusting that badly... even if only in a few spots.

Just saying!

One needs to stay on top of rust inspection and remediation.

One needs to stay on top of rust inspection and remediation.

In your view... how bad do you consider the limited photos of the rust I provided earlier?

I have a feeling, that considering the total lack of care for the bottom of the boat, that the rust issues in this boat may be tremendous.

In your view... how bad do you consider the limited photos of the rust I provided earlier?

I have a feeling, that considering the total lack of care for the bottom of the boat, that the rust issues in this boat may be tremendous.

The problem is "limited photos".....

While its easy to assume a total lack of care....maybe not so.

Lots of rust is ugly, but a lot of rust comes from very little actual steel, so strength isnt necessarily lost like delamination in glass boats.

So without going over the whole boat and seeing how easy or hard would it be to get to every nook and cranny....almost silly to even suggest an opinion.

When disassembling a steel boat to completely redo the interior to satisfactory, building new almost is the better answer unless you are doing the work, have the place out of a marina to do it and have the time.

Wood rots… Fiberglass delaminates… Steel rusts. Different material quality and grades and construction procedures and overlay protection modes for each material substance has a lot to do with good product condition longevity. Personally, I favor well-built fiberglass for boats regarding least time consuming need for maintenance and repair. :speed boat:

Carbon Steel and Alloy Steel

Most carbon steel is not well-suited for marine environments, however, there are several marine grade carbon steels available. AH36, DH36, and EH36 are all examples of commonly used marine grade carbon steels approved by the American Bureau of Shipping. These grades will have slightly more alloy elements such as manganese and chromium compared to their ASTM grade counterparts, which helps achieve higher strength and more corrosion resistance. There are also marine grades of alloy steel as well. Grades MD, ME, MF, MG, and others can provide the strength that normal alloy steel is known for, and have also been approved by the American Bureau of Shipping for use in shipbuilding applications. Applications: structural shipbuilding and other offshore structural requirements

Following wiki link has a few stats on rust in/on metals.
Rust https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rust

My gripe about steel boats is they typically add up to 12" to the draft compared to a plastic boat.

Thanks for the feedback. I think what will happen is I will aim low on the Mainship since it is very new to the market. If that owner says no I will aim lower on the Coot. Both pending inspection. Apart from the trip "home" most of the trips would be inside the Bay of Thailand and average about 100 nm each way. The Mainship would be slightly quicker on that, and has additional speed when necessary. But I'm sure the Coot could get the job done as well as having more ruggedness when dealing with some of the more remote parts of Thailand (and fish traps just below the surface). Just wonder what the Seahorse products are like 13 years down the road and how many corrosion issues I am looking at since it sounds like the boat has not been used in a year or two. The broker has said some "non structural" steel elements will need cutting and replacing. That doesn't concern me as much as the hitherto unknown structural damage which is probably occurring. Considering the following photos.

3.jpg

2.jpg

Capture.jpg

I think its best to give that wounded COOT a pass. Obviously not well maintained and I suspect the zincs have been spent for awhile. The bottom may be seriously stressed. Properly repaired she could exceed a new boat price.

The COOT listed on YW located in Singapore is fine, but shipping really rules this one out for U.S. buyers. Anybody for island hopping a 35' boat across the Pacific? Yep, that's what I thought.

Cap Sante recently sold a blue/grey Coot that was very well maintained. i don't know the selling price.

A new COOT 38, slightly bigger than Mark's, will be in the April Pacific Sail and Power Boat Show in Richmond CA. It has an island queen and separate shower. This show used to be strictly sail and is now power and sail.

Mark is right, COOT side decks are the tank tops.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom