Have Chevy Trucks Forsaken The White Collar Men?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
th

You guys are too good. You should take your comedy act on the road. That would at least get you the hell off of TF!

Just kidding of course. I'm sitting here and loving it.

Who needs a truck?

We have a 1996 Buick Roadmaster Estate wagon.

The last body on frame , the last of the greats.

Smooth quiet and holds 4x8 sheets of ply or wallboard with ease.

Tows a trailer to the dump, we don't worry about scratches loading or unloading.

In SW Florida trucks are in for kids , but I will keep the roadmonster with its Corvette L1 engine/tranny package .

At 75 being seen as cool hardly matters , being comfortable matters more.

Those are very nice warwagons, still look good and are easy to add some musclecar parts. I had a neighbor that had one, complete with a bumpersticker stating: You just got smoked by a stationwagon. It could back that statement up. Performance and utility.

Even if not modded, they are a beautiful and unique looking landyacht.

Well, the GM pickup truck advertising really spoke to me. I just couldn't resist going out and buying a big double cab 2500HD 4X4 GMC pickup. It has a DuraMax diesel engine and an Allison transmission along with 440hp and 910 ft/lbs of torque. This will pull my hogs to market in style. This truck sits so high now that I can barely climb up in it, and this is before adding oversized tires. Just the way I like'm

When the air police and mileage police were measuring vehicles, sadly the station wagons pulled down the CAFE.

So the car folks built the SUV a truck standard , to have it measured with the looser truck rules.

As bright as an air pump to put air into the exhaust so the exhaust would be less dense,1070 style.

Happily the new tiny tiny engines with a couple of turbos and perhaps a supercharger can pump out great HP, and meet CAFE requirements , so the Station Wagon is coming back!!!

MB and Volvo have nice practical units , for about $70K , about what a fancy truck costs .

I have 07 Dodge ram 5,7hemi 4wd. And a 2015 Mercedes Vito, service once a year,the Vito is my third,and last, never a problem on three different cars, since 2007.190hp diesel automatic gear, easy to load, haul like a Russian bear, and super, no fun and boring. My Dodge. One broken wheelbearing, front studs broke, cooler leak,water pump leak, thermostat lid, leak. Gearbox slipping and making noises, plus service every 3000 miles. So I have spent about 5 k, the last three years on my Dodge. And I love it, the Vito has to go, I don't need a van any more, but I will buy a new Dodge, that's for shore. Even that my Vito is easier to load, more mpg, and higher quality. I buy cars motorcycles and boats, with my heart. Not with my brain, and i always will.

I buy cars motorcycles and boats, with my heart. Not with my brain, and i always will.

We buy business cars with our brains and personal cars with our heart. Have some SUV's but no truck. Never owned a truck. Never plan to own a truck.

X2 on the Ridgeline, alomaria. Employees get F250s - I get a Ridge Gen 2. Terrific vehicle. If CJ5s count as trucks, I haven't been without a pickup 40+ years. Having a pickup allows me to have go fast cars with little or no hauling capacity as my other vehicle.

Drive a 2017 Colorado diesel, far and away the most civilized vehicle I have ever owned and been driving since 1970. Avg mileage is about 26 and I get over 30 on the highway. The ads I see almost always have various folks in them.

I've had a string of Chevy pickups, the last being a 2000 V-8 Silverado

Traded it for a 1993 Dodge with a Cummins 5.9L Diesel. The Chevy never could decide which gear would work best for towing our boat over the Alleghenies or Rockies heading for one coast of the other. The Dodge has the torque to tow up any highway grade in third gear without slowing. I don't watch Chevy truck commercials anymore.

PS: The Dodge ruins on waste vegetable oil, which I get for free.

Traded it for a 1993 Dodge with a Cummins 5.9L Diesel. The Chevy never could decide which gear would work best for towing our boat over the Alleghenies or Rockies heading for one coast of the other. The Dodge has the torque to tow up any highway grade in third gear without slowing. I don't watch Chevy truck commercials anymore.

PS: The Dodge ruins on waste vegetable oil, which I get for free.

FYI: The new Dodges are using the Allison 100 transmission. It's the same transmission that GM's Duramax diesels use. It has the ability to handle the higher torque numbers. With the new emission standards and the higher pressures of the common rail engines and closer tolerances of the injectors, I think about 10% ethanol is about all the vegetable fuel you can burn. I'm sure you know what DEF is. Drive on, brother.

Last edited:
Didn't know Dodge was using the Allison now. Great move!

I definately see more of the small trucks on the road. Bought a GMC Canyon longbed about 6 months ago, and love it! The Chevy truck I had before always seemed a little "too big" on me (5 ft 7, 240 lbs)!

I've got a 1989 chevy s-10 6cyl 5sp 4wd single cab. Bought it for $1500 needing an engine rebuild. Bought it 16yrs ago. It hauled the Cummins engine for my boat (2100lb with gear), so after it handled that figured I would keep it.

GF likes to drive it too. She is better at the clutch than I am!!

Named the "Blue Mule". Small, strong, can carry anything, and bucks. Worst clutch I have ever had, no way for a smooth launch. It will either shake, stall, rev or squawk the tires.

There is no vehicle on the market now that could replace it. Little trucks now are huge in comparison.

Ha ha! I have an '83 S-10 as a yard ornament. I can't bear to get rid of it. I paid $300 for it in 1999 and had to tow it home. Spent a great summer rebuilding the engine and then daily drove it for 6 more years. It was originally owned by a little old man and now it is again. No A/C, no power anything ( and no power) eventually got old and so the Ridgeline. Agree the clutch is a bear. Now it's a planter.

Named the "Blue Mule".

‘White Line Fever’... one of those movies that you remember somewhat fondly seeing in the seventies. Then you see it again now and you are like... really? That sucked. :)

" Now it's a planter."

Purchase a similar one , and it becomes a parts source.

My Dodge 3/4 ton with the 220 HP Cummins and manual 5 speed just turned sweet 16 (2002). With 446,000 miles on it, wife wants to know when I'm going to replace it. I'm thinking not before it reaches the age of majority (21).

Ted

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom