Help Identifying Switch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ctjstr

Vessel Name
"Convergence"
Vessel Make
Camano Troll
Can anyone help me out with identifying what this switch controls? its on the left side of the dash on my 97 Troll. Its got 3 wires on the back side, and they disappear before I can identify them.

thank

toni switch in Camano.jpg

thanks. I'll have to find what its hooked to. Whatever it is, its not obvious.

I just bought a tone generator from Fluke that would be good for tracing the wires without taking the bulkheads apart. I just replaced my main AC and DC electrical panel and there are a couple of unused wires that I want to find out where they go and maybe what they went to. I suspect that they don’t really go anywhere since everything does work now, but I am curious.

The Fluke tone generator was not very expensive, just about $60 on Amazon. Should be a handy tool to have aboard. Was going to try it today but my helper got sick so it will have to wait until later.

Having use a tone generator on my job for 20 years (not every day), I want to point out that using one to trace wires can be tricky and requires a bit of knowledge and experience. The tone can radiate to other conductors or be transferred by the wire you want to trace having a direct or indirect connection to other conductors.

My point is, use some other identifiers to determine if this is actually the wire you think it is. Color, gauge, manufacturer, etc. Also where it is on the boat.

thanks all. If I can ever make it back down to the boat, I'll get to work on figuring this out.
toni

You're in the water right?

yup. Day Island Yacht Club in Tacoma in a boathouse. Speaking of being in the water....,I did have one of my dogs fall into the drink today. Lost her footing and fell between the boat and the boathouse walkway. Surprised the heck out of her, and me. Had a struggle dragging her up since I'm still dealing with this busted up arm and she weighs about 60 lbs. No one worse for wear. Her pride was hurt and I got pretty soaked. The other dog just stayed in the salon and slept. How come this stuff happens so often in the winter?

Did get a couple projects mostly complete though. I build a shelf for the engine room, behind the engine where that deep keel recess is. Makes good storage. Also got the pieces made to act as a cover for that recessed floor area next to the head. Need to carpet those two pieces and will be good to go on that. Also found a used Fusion radio and started taking the old stereo out for replacement, before I ran out of gas. Made Farley, the wet dog, ride home in the back of the truck. Serves her right for getting me wet. Other than the bath, not a bad day.

Did you figure out what the switch is?

well lo and behold, got it figured out. At the camano gathering this weekend on Lopez Island, I walked around with a photo and although no one had a similar switch Jamey (who posts here as JHance I think) hooked me up. Suggested it was related to the depth finders. Bingo. My two depth finders work with one transducer and this switch switches from main station to the flybridge. (and yes, I wondered why I kept having problems with one of them, but no, not smart enough to figure on my own)

mystery solved

thanks all

toni

Great, glad you figured it out! How was the Camano "rondy" ? Good weather?

Great, glad you figured it out! How was the Camano "rondy" ? Good weather?

fantastic. Quite warm during the days, 80ish, and cool in the evenings, in the 60's. Could not have been better. We took three slow days headed up from Tacoma: first to Seattle Elliot Bay Marina...nice place. Then short hop to Pt. Ludlow. Again, nice place which happened to be hosting a Nordhaven gathering. Talk about nice boats... Then on to Pt. Townsend near the straits of Juan de Fuca. Nice old marine port. We loaded our bikes on the foredeck and road all over seattle, pt townsend and then Lopez Island. Lots of smiles all around. Came back on Sunday, which made for about a 10 hour day.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom