Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If she is like my boat, she LIKES it.
Dirty little thing. [emoji87][emoji41]

Same same but different. Head aft on the Starboard side now.

IMG_8803.jpg
IMG_8804.jpg
IMG_8805.jpg
IMG_8806.jpg
IMG_8807.jpg
IMG_8809.jpg
IMG_8810.jpg
IMG_8811.jpg
IMG_8812.jpg
IMG_8814.jpg
IMG_8815.jpg

Steady as she goes... Captain! :thumb:

You seem to have made a lot of progress while you wee off the forum. welcome back. Do you have a launch date in mind?

Mod mini-edit. Errr, I think you meant were..?

Last edited by a moderator:
Gave the aft cockpit a bath then did some final finishing of nicks and imperfections with some Dolphin Glaze. Monday I’ll sand those areas then that area is FINISHED and ready for paint.

IMG_8830.jpg
IMG_8831.jpg
IMG_8851.jpg
IMG_8852.jpg
IMG_8853.jpg
IMG_8854.jpg
IMG_8855.jpg

Gave the aft cockpit a bath then did some final finishing of nicks and imperfections with some Dolphin Glaze. Monday I’ll sand those areas then that area is FINISHED and ready for paint.

Matt...

What application technique you going to use for painting?

And, will different boat sections require a different technique?

Also, how many coats and what brand paints you planning on???

She's getting closer all the time! What a pretty gal!!! :dance:

Last edited:
Keep plugging away Mate! Your making progress and were all behind ya!

Cheers

Greetings,
Mr. H. You're doing a marvelous job BUT the words; boat and finished, should never be used together.

Matt...

What application technique you going to use for painting?

And, will different boat sections require a different technique?

Also, how many coats and what brand paints you planning on???

She's getting closer all the time! What a pretty gal!!! :dance:

Gday Art

Mate everything will be sprayed. I’ll be using a devilbiss compact gun with a 1.3 Cap Needle and Nozzle on a 10ltr pressure pot.

The technique is the same; 1 light dust coat, wait 20mins for it to flash off, spray a medium coat, wait 30mins to flash off spray another coat and see what the coverage is like and possibly spray another coat.

The hull will be done first up to the gunwhales on day one then the following day from the gunwhales up to completion.

I’ll be using Jotun Hardtop ultra (polyurethane) on top of the Jotun Pengard HB Epoxy primer.

My boy and I taking time out and watching sailrite videos on YouTube trying to learn how to make rear curtains on my new LSZ-1 ultrafeed sewing machine for SOLSTICE

IMG_8856.jpg
IMG_8857.jpg

Gday Art

Mate everything will be sprayed. I’ll be using a devilbiss compact gun with a 1.3 Cap Needle and Nozzle on a 10ltr pressure pot.

The technique is the same; 1 light dust coat, wait 20mins for it to flash off, spray a medium coat, wait 30mins to flash off spray another coat and see what the coverage is like and possibly spray another coat.

The hull will be done first up to the gunwhales on day one then the following day from the gunwhales up to completion.

I’ll be using Jotun Hardtop ultra (polyurethane) on top of the Jotun Pengard HB Epoxy primer.

WOW - You've got it programed! Thanks for letting me/us-all know more about your artistry.

Only thing I can say... is... wouldn't it be more sanitary to do from top down so mist-gravity wouldn't mess up what's below it? Just a thought - you're the pro... something I'm not when it comes to painting application such as you mention.

Can hardly wait to see your painted creation!!

Cheers - Art

WOW - You've got it programed! Thanks for letting me/us-all know more about your artistry.

Only thing I can say... is... wouldn't it be more sanitary to do from top down so mist-gravity wouldn't mess up what's below it? Just a thought - you're the pro... something I'm not when it comes to painting application such as you mention.

Can hardly wait to see your painted creation!!

Cheers - Art

Yeah I hear ya brother but I’m spraying across 2 days so 6 of 1 half a dozen of the other whether I mask up the bow first or the superstructure first. I’m spraying outside so overspray won’t be as controlled as is would be in a booth ;-)

Yeah I hear ya brother but I’m spraying across 2 days so 6 of 1 half a dozen of the other whether I mask up the bow first or the superstructure first. I’m spraying outside so overspray won’t be as controlled as is would be in a booth ;-)

Understood. :thumb:

Today the 800ltr water tank and the 800ltr Diesel tank got some attention by means of relocated filler necks and welding up of the old inspection ports. No sanding this afternoon. Case of the ol CBF’d.

IMG_8875.jpg
IMG_8877.jpg
IMG_9033.jpg
IMG_9034.jpg
IMG_9040.jpg
IMG_9043.jpg

Geeeezzzz, Mate you always have the coolest tools. Tig/MiG welding with fresh air hoods!!
Just amazing.

Geeeezzzz, Mate you always have the coolest tools. Tig/MiG welding with fresh air hoods!!
Just amazing.

Lol that set up isn’t mine unfortunately. I borrowed it from one of the welders my boss uses. It’s costing me a fishing trip on the boat once she’s done. Was a nice unit to use.

Lol that set up isn’t mine unfortunately. I borrowed it from one of the welders my boss uses. It’s costing me a fishing trip on the boat once she’s done. Was a nice unit to use.

You're gonna have plenty of mates to chose from for any type assistance during Solstice's first months of water operations. What a great swap-n'-trade for tools etc as you build... "A day fishing"! :thumb:

You're gonna have plenty of mates to chose from for any type assistance during Solstice's first months of water operations. What a great swap-n'-trade for tools etc as you build... "A day fishing"! :thumb:

Yeah trade where you can mate. I’ve done work on peoples boats for fishing trips etc. I did one last week for a mate. He needed some fibreglass work on his transom so we worked out a scuba diving deal. I haven’t been diving in ages so worked out well.

IMG_9051.jpg
IMG_9052.jpg
IMG_9053.jpg
IMG_9054.jpg
IMG_9056.jpg
IMG_9055.jpg
IMG_9057.jpg
IMG_9058.jpg

Nice looking little runabout fisher/diver. You are magic on boats... and most other material items too - I Bet!!

Back to final sanding and paint prep this afternoon

Matt me mate!

Word "final" holds similar scope and breadth to the terms/words "all", "never" and "forever". "Final" can be a good-fun thing, a feeling of relief, or possiably bring sadness... maybe even joy. Such a mobile context of various emotions does the term/word "final" successfully and singularly enable a person to emote.

In this case... if I may say so... in your case... in the context of your "final sanding" and paint prep I conjecture the emoted, gleeful meaning of "final" makes you want to have a big fn' assed party! :thumb:

Get It On - Bro!!! :speed boat: :D

She’s a work of art brother! Can’t wait to see your ideas come to life

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom