$ 1.29 project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FF

Guru
Many boats do not have overhead lights that are operated by a wall switch .

So operating them requires feeling for the tiny of/on switch .

This can be a PIA for the owners , but a Super PIA for guests attempting to navigate in the dark.

Removing the tiny lever switch and installing an old style pull chain switch can improve the std of living for all.

what about the red light

My last boat had bulkhead switches, this one only on the fixture itself. I hate it. I'd wire in some sort of remote but don't want that much parasitic load on the house bank all the time. The wires run through inaccessible places, so hard wiring new switches is not an option.

It's a really poor design, not sure why so many boats are set up this way.

Yes that's pretty spendy. I'm guilty of not looking at the price after searching for piezoelectric light switch.

I attended a talk some years back by a high end yacht designer who thinks well outside the box (sorry, I don't recall his name). He used piezoelectric devices in his designs. One was piezoelectric light switches to place switches anywhere the owner wanted without having to pull wires. He did a number of other clever things with piezoelectric as well. A creative thinker.

My boat has floor level LED courtesy lights throughout the boat. There is enough reflected light to see the other lights switches. The effect is similar to aisle lighting in a movie theater or on an airplane.

Ted

I just saw a ‘light switch’ where the switchplate is all LED so it lights the area. Battery powered surface mount.
I thought...what a great idea, but where would I use this..

Wow! I did not know how lucky I am my 36 Island Gypsy has bulkhead mounted switches for all overhead lighting. Nice feature, also seems a 3way switch arrangement to light the salon from near both port and starboard doors. Besides that the hanging locker in the forward cabin has a door switch to illuminate the locker upon opening the door. Boat also has 6 exhaust blowers--2 in engine compartment- one in each head--one in the shower and one above the cooktop.

Lucky Me--just sayin JohnP

Okay,
Nobody wants to talk to you now...��

Yes. Dang you re lucky!

Somehow, I just never considered wall switches...
Never had them on a boat.
Now I want them.

I have wall switches for my 12 volt lighting but a couple of them are very oddly placed.

I also have wall switches and a couple 3 ways. I assumed it was on all boats. Now that I think about it her first owner was an electrician. That explains the very neat color coded labeled wiring. He must have put the switches in also.

I also have wall switches and a couple 3 ways. I assumed it was on all boats. Now that I think about it her first owner was an electrician. That explains the very neat color coded labeled wiring. He must have put the switches in also.

Wifey B: I never even thought some didn't, either. :)

Back
Top Bottom