Present 42 Roll Call

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Of course I go looking for a "traditional" and come up with one that has Lehman 225s...:)

1987 Hartmann Palmer Sundeck Trawler Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

The only reason I am posting on this thread is the Present 38 and 42 have always been VERY high on my list and hence I have shopped them heavily. The traditionally styled 38 are very hard to find. The boat above is labeled "Hartmann Palmer" but it is the same as a Present/CHB 38...although maybe with bigger engines. I lean towards the 38 simply because of size. The 42 is GIGANTIC!!! The 38 seems like about the same boat just scaled down a bit...and quite handsome I might add. Anyway....for what it is worth to people interested in this boats. Search CHB....Chung Hwa...Hartmann Palmer...etc.

Quite a few differences between the Hartmann Palmer and our Present 38. We don't have the side doors, the front cabin is a centerline, not V-berth, the heads are different. The info from Jack Sarin was that he thought there were about 20-30 of these built. The 42 is a stretched version of the 38. I don't know if his numbers included the 42 or was just for the 38. I have seen 38s listed on the West Coast as Nautiques which is the yard that built the 38. The Nautique 38 is the same as the Present 38. Our 38 has the Nautique logo on the front deck and the wiring diagrams we got with the boat are by Nautique Yachts in Taiwan.

Bob

Quite a few differences between the Hartmann Palmer and our Present 38. We don't have the side doors, the front cabin is a centerline, not V-berth, the heads are different. The info from Jack Sarin was that he thought there were about 20-30 of these built. The 42 is a stretched version of the 38. I don't know if his numbers included the 42 or was just for the 38. I have seen 38s listed on the West Coast as Nautiques which is the yard that built the 38. The Nautique 38 is the same as the Present 38. Our 38 has the Nautique logo on the front deck and the wiring diagrams we got with the boat are by Nautique Yachts in Taiwan.

Bob

I am sure there are differences. My only point was the boat I posted was also sold as a Present 38. Have you seen the traditionally styled 38s that I am talking about....IOW the Present 38s that look exactly like this Hartmann Palmer?

As far as I have been able to find out, Present was the name of a guy in New York state who was either a broker or dealer and put his name on the Nautique 38. He may have done the same with the Hartmann Palmer. For me, there are too many structural differences for the two to be the same design. But who knows?

Bob

Hi folks. Resurrecting this thread because I'm considering a Present as my next boat here on the next 6 months or so. There is a Present 40 near me that I will check out in a week or so. I've also been on a 42. Haven't seen any mention of the 40 in this thread. Does anyone know of any distinct differences between the 40 and 42 besides scale. I have seen pics of the bow and the 42's bow is more vertical than the 40.

Sorry, not familiar with a Present 40.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Looking at a Present 35 (to buy) and cannot find any info at all about the boat/brand. Any ideas or suggestions where information might be found?

Thanks,

Hello...
Over the weekend I happened to have a tape measure in my hand at the EXACT time I thought to myself: I wonder how much headroom this aft cabin has??
Turns out it and the saloon are both sporting 6' 3.5". Not bad. For those more "vertically endowed" than I- this could be a good thing?

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Got our Present 38 up for sale. Decided we are not power boat people, want to go back to a sail boat. The question has come up about the fuel tanks, what are they made of. I put a magnet to one and it was not magnetic. I would think that rules out black iron. Thumping them makes a metallic noise so I'm thinking AL or SS? Anybody know for sure what their tanks are made of?

Bob

Can you please call me my cell is 985 768 6019 my name is Tim Thompson I am buying a 42 ft Present sundeck trawler and would like to ask you a few questions before I make a finale decision if you could call me at your earliest convince because the brokers clock is ticking thanking you in advance Tim

Hello...
Over the weekend I happened to have a tape measure in my hand at the EXACT time I thought to myself: I wonder how much headroom this aft cabin has??
Turns out it and the saloon are both sporting 6' 3.5". Not bad. For those more "vertically endowed" than I- this could be a good thing?

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

You seem to be very knowledgable of your yacht as this is going to be my first purchase was hoping you could help me I am buying the same boat I live in Slidell La and I personally know mike the knife please call me 985 768 6019

PM sent

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Howdy All,
I just purchased a 1986 Present 38, twin Perkins 225 hp Turbo Diesels.
Located in Florida, so far so good. maiden voyage from the Keys to Central Florida went well, plan to move aboard Full time in December.
Regards to all...

Welcome aboard Captain JJ!!
Good to have you on board!

Forky
1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

my 42 trader

I also own a Tarquin trader 42 year 1988 interior designed by Tony Chappell from the UK
Hull and interior compared to your vessels looks very similar mine is moored in Spain and I have a list of work on going to bring her back to her former glory properly spending too much money but this is my baby and the last boat I will own

Welcome aboard Chris!!
Any pictures you can post??

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

1987 Present 38'

I'm looking at a 1987 Present 38'.
It has a pair of 300hp Cummins. The owner thought they came with the Cummins but not sure. Most I've seen have the Volvo or Lehman and a few with Perkins. Anyone else have the Cummins?

Welcome...38 Present sedan, single 135 Super Ford L. Fish PCP..twin 300's and Cummings 5.9. I envy...hell for just ONE. I make cold molasses look fast.

Present 38

Bob,

I own a Present 38, it has the 225 HP Perkins Turbo Diesels as well.

I was wondering if you have any publications for the 38?

Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 70
As of I don't. The owner of the boat says he has all the manuals.
Is there anything you were looking for?

Wiring Diagrams, Systems Manuals, Operational or Owners Manuals that sort of thing would be handy.

Bob,

I own a Present 38, it has the 225 HP Perkins Turbo Diesels as well.

I was wondering if you have any publications for the 38?

Thanks
Our boat has the Ford Lehman SP225s. The only original docs I have are a wiring diagram, which after all these years is pretty worthless, and a drawing showing the major components like engines and tanks. I think it shows the forward water tank as being optional.

I did find out that the boat was designed by Jack Sarin, he's still designing big boats, and it was commissioned by Jerry Schei of Edmonds Yacht Sales. I emailed them but they have no documentation. Present was a broker in NY, don't know if upstate or on the coast, and I guess he bought some and put his name on them.

I ran across a boat on the west coast listed as a Nautique and from the pictures it looked identical to our Present. Nautique was the builder in Taiwan.

Greetings all. We are closing on a 1984 Present 42 with twin SP135's on Tuesday. We will be living aboard in Jacksonville, Fl.

Richard and Debbie

I know we have a few on the board. Graham for one. Who is out there?? Interesting note, using a Documentation website that Keith had mentioned years ago- I pulled up Patricia Louise and it gave a list of some past owners. With some creative Google effort I was able to locate and call a prior owner who is now 80 years old. I sent him a couple of current pics and hope to get some early shots of our boat back from him. I also found out they had made the Great Loop in her. I hope to get more info on that also.

Looked at one before I bought my boat (2002 Novatech 42)
Seems to be the same hull and deck (interior differences)
Also sold under Heritage East brand
And Nova in the 80’s (now Novatech)
Mine is over powered with 250hp cummins
135 Lyman’s would be the ticket
Nice boat

85 Present 42 Sundeck

I just joined this forum today and found the Present 42 roll call so I am checking in. This is my first post so I am not sure if I am doing it right but I am going to give it a try. Kind of a test if you will. Thanks. Bob.

PS- Not sure why my pic is not showing here. Maybe it has to be approved first.

Last edited:
I figured out how to get my pic on the post.

Back
Top Bottom