Flybridge windscreen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

senangsekali

Vessel Name
Senang Sakali
Vessel Make
North Sea 37
Good Day folks,
During the last wind storm we had here on Vancouver Island, the pressure from the bimini enslosure cracked my windscreen. It was made out of tinted plexiglass. I only have two support brackets that suppport the windscreen, leaving the center section not supported. So here is my question. What would be better to use as a replacement. Lexan or plexiglass? I am going to add two more supports as well. Or does anyone know of a shop on VI to cut it from the broken template that is all taped. I know of some but just curious if anyone had first hand experience with a particular shop.

Thanks again
Cheers

I do all my own plastic work. If the original is made of acrylic then I would stick with that. Polycarbonate is more flexible and expands less with temperature but it scratches very easy. I also find the polycarbonate dose not hold up as well to UV.

For tools all you need is a skill saw to cut the acrylic, a DA sander to work the edges and an electric drill with a buffing ball and rubbing compound to polish the edges.

I didn’t like the color of the acrylic on my current boat so I bought a sheet of bronze acrylic and cut out the 7 panels using a band saw. Two of the panels had to be heatformed around a 90 degree bend, did this using two heat guns. Took me one weekend.

I added a hardtop to our flybridge last year. In doing the work I decided to rework the way the enclosure was made. The previous enclosure went from the bimini top down past the windscreen to the fiberglass on the flybridge. I wanted a cleaner look so I reinforced the top of the windscreen with some 3/8 X 2” aluminum that I had powder coated black. Then used a keder strip bolted through the keder, windscreen and aluminum reinforcement. I had EZ2CY panels made for the front and fabricated the rest of the enclosure myself.

You might look at adding a reinforcement along the top of the windscreen. When I cut plexi or polycarbonate I use a scraper to finish the edge and then flame the edge with a torch to turn it clear. I will try to attach some photos of the aluminum reinforcement. Looks like one of the photos has the dreaded upside diesease...

Attachments

• 9BA15B5F-D3CF-484D-9DCF-183FA3E565FD.jpg
    9BA15B5F-D3CF-484D-9DCF-183FA3E565FD.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 80
  • 1783A030-03E6-4389-A335-7E9463028D78.jpg
    1783A030-03E6-4389-A335-7E9463028D78.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 92

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom