VMAX Batteries ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

David Rive

Vessel Name
currently boatless
I have a feeling I may be facing battery replacement soon. Have 2 x 4Ds as house and another 4D as engine start. The price for brand name 4Ds such as Lifeline and Trojan is pretty steep. Walmart sells a brand I am unfamiliar with, called VMAX - a lot less expensive.

Does anyone have any experience with, or know anything about them?

David

I have used the Large (group 31?) Walmart batteries for years with excellent results. ($100 each?) House (deep cycle) and start (Yanmar) in boat. My Diesel tractor starts below zero and in 90 degree heat. I replaced the boat batteries last year based on time. When I took them out the receipts showed 10 years. I am not generally the type of guy that uses anything but OEM stuff after 40 years in the Automotive service business. And I am definitely not a lover of Walmart but...... No complaints at all.

I have used the Large (group 31?) Walmart batteries for years with excellent results. ($100 each?) House (deep cycle) and start (Yanmar) in boat. My Diesel tractor starts below zero and in 90 degree heat. I replaced the boat batteries last year based on time. When I took them out the receipts showed 10 years. I am not generally the type of guy that uses anything but OEM stuff after 40 years in the Automotive service business. And I am definitely not a lover of Walmart but...... No complaints at all.

Well damn. I just did a google search of Vmax batteries and they seem to reate very highly...at least for their AGM batteries. If you got AGM GRP31s for $100 I am gonna go buy every single one I can find!!! Anyway, I may have found my next set of batteries......when it comes time to buy. I have 4.5 years on my current set and they have shown no signs of dying anytime soon.

Edit: I just shopped the GRP31 Vmax AGM on Amazon and it is $279. Still not bad for a premium battery but a lot more than $100!

Well damn. I just did a google search of Vmax batteries and they seem to reate very highly...at least for their AGM batteries. If you got AGM GRP31s for $100 I am gonna go buy every single one I can find!!! Anyway, I may have found my next set of batteries......when it comes time to buy. I have 4.5 years on my current set and they have shown no signs of dying anytime soon.

Edit: I just shopped the GRP31 Vmax AGM on Amazon and it is $279. Still not bad for a premium battery but a lot more than $100!

The Walmart’s are not AGM just plain old lead acid. Bit hard to beat for that price regardless.

I have a feeling I may be facing battery replacement soon. Have 2 x 4Ds as house and another 4D as engine start. The price for brand name 4Ds such as Lifeline and Trojan is pretty steep. Walmart sells a brand I am unfamiliar with, called VMAX - a lot less expensive.

Dunno about VMAX, but...

There are lots of ways to skin a house or start bank... without using the 4D word. Lots of threads about options, if you're interested, and if your battery area allows...

-Chris

There are lots of ways to skin a house or start bank... without using the 4D word. Lots of threads about options, if you're interested, and if your battery area allows...

-Chris

I agree Chris. There is a lot to be said for 6v GC batteries, for example. But I don't want to go through the hassle of changing the wiring, new battery boxes, etc.

David

I agree Chris. There is a lot to be said for 6v GC batteries, for example. But I don't want to go through the hassle of changing the wiring, new battery boxes, etc.

Yep, there is that.

:)

-Chris

Sure enough - the house bank is bad. I decided to stick with Deka (that's what's installed now) for the replacements - found a good price here in Ft. Myers.

Back
Top Bottom