Hello from Coomera Queensland

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Now there`s a local with single engine no thruster docking skills!

Coming in late on this, but a hearty welcome. The boat looks like a cracker, love the layout, and a Gardner to boot! Lucky you.

Pete ,sorry to hear of your travails............if only you had twins. :rolleyes:

Well, you're right Andy. The part that failed was one engine issue that would have allowed a limp home on a second engine. We're pretty sure it is the lift pump, not bad fuel or flat batteries or anything else that would affect both if twin engined.

As to my single engine docking skills. Thanks for the vote of confidence Bruce, and yes, I have found I can handle virtually any docking situation as long as that one precious engine is running, so would hardly ever have a need now for a thruster. But I can tell you, coming in under tow, with a honking 20kn south-easterly Wednesday afternoon, the thing uppermost in my mind was how in heck can we safely dock with no power for steering or, more importantly, stopping power..? The latter was solved by the skilled VMR Jacob's Well folk shifting from a front tow to side on tow, when we stopped temporarily outside the marina, then taking us in that way, and that allowed a reasonably straightforward docking on the fuel dock which is reasonably long, as there was no way they could take us into our berth finger. However, even though the marina staff walked her along to a nearby visiter berth the next morning, they obviously want us out of there asap. Hopefully the part will not be hard to get.

Welcome Arafura what a beautiful boat/home. How exciting moving to a new place and embarking on a new adventure in such a lovely vessel.

I’m also based in Coomera moored at Coomera Waters. I look forward to seeing you and your vessel out and about on our waterways soon. Always feel free to say g’day if you see me around.

Ryan

Welcome A II

I read through this thread. REALLY stout and nice timber boat you have there! Enjoy the heck out of her!

Pete - Bummer B-Day problem, sorry to hear that. I gave all my future B-Days to my grandaughter 5 yrs. ago... when she was born on my birthday! I've not aged a pinch since! LOL :dance:

Welcome A II

I read through this thread. REALLY stout and nice timber boat you have there! Enjoy the heck out of her!

Pete - Bummer B-Day problem, sorry to hear that. I gave all my future B-Days to my grandaughter 5 yrs. ago... when she was born on my birthday! I've not aged a pinch since! LOL :dance:

Thanks Art. Footnote to the above issue, for those interested...
It turned out to be a simple leak had developed at the join of the metal fuel line to the on-engine filters. This allowed an airlock to develope when I throttled off. Fixed by two nips of a spanner. If only I had found that we would still have had our birthday cruise. I guess, not having encountered similar before, (as I assume the mechanic had), I didn't pump the lift pump manually long enough for the tell-tale drip to show up. :facepalm:
Amazing thing is that join has been undisturbed for the last 15 years we've owned her. Karma..? :banghead:

Arafura 11, welcome on board. Have been away for a while so did not see you appear. I know your boat well, as Doug Fielding does a fair bit of work on my boat.
Will probably catch up with you in a month or so when I come down to GCCM for a slipping.
You will get used to the single engine no thruster , especially being a truckie. Bow thrusters are on the nice to have list, I have had my boat 23 years now still haven't got one.
Presently in Bass Strait working (bloody rough) home in about 4 weeks , will be good to catch up.
Did you buy the berth as well? those moor and store berths are a great idea.

Arafura 11 , by the way get on the Moreton bay Cruiser face book page , same to anyone cruising in the bay full of like minded people.

Arafura 11, welcome on board. Have been away for a while so did not see you appear. I know your boat well, as Doug Fielding does a fair bit of work on my boat.
Will probably catch up with you in a month or so when I come down to GCCM for a slipping.
You will get used to the single engine no thruster , especially being a truckie. Bow thrusters are on the nice to have list, I have had my boat 23 years now still haven't got one.
Presently in Bass Strait working (bloody rough) home in about 4 weeks , will be good to catch up.
Did you buy the berth as well? those moor and store berths are a great idea.

Hi Mate will check out the facebook page I am renting the birth off the PO at a very reasonable rate it would be good to catch up and get some advice as I am very new to cruising and still very nervous LOL I am getting a new Muir winch and chain counter installed as the old one crapped out.

Check out with Doug Fielding ( Regatta Marine) one of Garth's sons, the other son runs Lighthouse marine services also at GCCM. I use Doug and he has been pretty awesome on some of the more modern changes we have made to Tidahapah. Also Jim Grey (Odyssey Electrical) he works in close with Doug. Lots of good people down there.

All right another Aussie!!! Welcome aboard. Lots of fun here. Thanks for the pics. Very beautiful boat mate. We love pictures here on TF....

First off, Welcome aboard, Shane! That is one spectacular looking boat! Love the layout, love the engine room, love the flybridge, love all the interior wood.

...If you only had the lower helm on the proper side! :hide:

Glad you found us. You'll find lots of great advice and camaraderie here.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom