Mooring for the Season

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larman

Vessel Name
Livin The Dream
Vessel Make
Sea Ray
Hello All,

Just curious does anyone moor there boat for the boating season? What size boat would be to big to moor?

There is a 150 footer that hangs on a mooring near my mooring. You can moor pretty much anything if there is swing room.

Hello All,

Just curious does anyone moor there boat for the boating season? What size boat would be to big to moor?

We moored our boat for season last season. There is no such thing as a boat to big to moor. Only whether the mooring is appropriately sized for a specific boat. Size the mooring appropriate to the size of the boat. We were on a 1,000lb mooring with a 22,000lb boat in a fairly protected area.

Mooring

Thank you for the replies. I have submitted an offer and it was accepted for 38' Trawler pending a survey which will be completed after the winter. I can moor my boat at the town marina. They recommend a 400lb mushroom anchor for my size boat. I asked the question because I don't remember seeing any larger trawler type boats on a mooring.

i have moored my boat in a few places in New England:

A small family owned boatyard up the Connecticut River had seasonal moorings for $600. That did not include launch service, but you could leave your dinghy at the shore to get back and forth.

A Brewer's marina in Essex charged about $2,000 for a mooring with launch service.

A yacht club in Rhode island charged about $1,500 with launch service.

These were of course expensive Connecticut places, except for the place on the upper Connecticut River. That one could accomodate 45' boats. The others probably less.

David

Thank you for the replies. I have submitted an offer and it was accepted for 38' Trawler pending a survey which will be completed after the winter. I can moor my boat at the town marina. They recommend a 400lb mushroom anchor for my size boat. I asked the question because I don't remember seeing any larger trawler type boats on a mooring.

On the low possibility that you are in Rocky Point Long Island NY we have moored boats in Northport harbor for the past 30+ years. Our personal mooring is currently 1,000#s set by a local marine service center and we travel to and from the moored boat with a dinghy. We also have limited moorings in Pt Jeff, near Norwalk (Zieglers cove), and Huntington with our boat club. Our boats in Northport have varied between 34' and 52' over the years.

"I asked the question because I don't remember seeing any larger trawler type boats on a mooring."

Power boats moored do fine IF they can do without refrigeration .

With a slip being many thousands a season and a mooring only a few hundred , that pays for a lot of ice.

Sure the ice chest is a PIA to tale out and back , but like most PIA , it becomes just a drill.

An extra $5,000 at the seasons end is never a PIA.

If you are thinking about installing your own new mooring buoy, check your county or state regulations to see what that involves.

If you are going to use an existing mooring buoy, just make sure it has enough weight to hold your boat. There may be a reason you don't see boats your size tied to them.

This past summer I watched many larger boats come into a local bay and tie up to private mooring buoys, thinking they are there for the public to use. But I know they were installed for small 18-24 foot boats. Their going to find out the hard way.

I have seen large tankers hanging on a mooring. I just assumed they had BIG stuff on the bottom.

Sure the ice chest is a PIA to tale out and back , but like most PIA , it becomes just a drill.

We empty and dry out the huge cooler, and leave it open in the cabin on the boat. We bring 2 small coolers. One with refrigerated food and one with about 12 - 18 beers. The rest of the beer is hauled out warm or stored warm on the boat.

The small cooler gets us through until the warm beer in the large cooler is chilled down. Now all we have to shuttle is ice.

On the low possibility that you are in Rocky Point Long Island NY we have moored boats in Northport harbor for the past 30+ years. Our personal mooring is currently 1,000#s set by a local marine service center and we travel to and from the moored boat with a dinghy. We also have limited moorings in Pt Jeff, near Norwalk (Zieglers cove), and Huntington with our boat club. Our boats in Northport have varied between 34' and 52' over the years.

Yes I from Rocky Point And if all goes well with the purchase will be boring the boat at Mount Sinai harbor.

Here in Maine we tend to use granite block moorings. Mine is a 3,500 lb granite block with 30' of 1-1/4" bottom chain then 40' of 5/8" chain up to the mooring ball. I have a 25' long 1" mooring pennant from the ball. As far as refrigeration goes, I have enough solar to run my refrigeration 24-7 and keep my batteries fully charged. My mooring can hold up to a 50' boat, although there is only swinging room for a 45 footer.

You would be surprised at how little current a typical Danfoss compressor fridge uses if no one is on board opening it and rooting around inside. Mine used 30-40 amp hours. That is easily covered by 200 watts of solar panels.

David

I kept our 36ft IG on a mooring for 5 years. Previous boat was a lighter 34ft. We consulted with the mooring contractor and added a second 500kg block. No problems,and mooring was quite exposed. We used a bridle, ie 2 lines off the mooring,coming through hawse holes to a central bow cleat. Have it lifted and serviced every year, lots of wear goes on under the surface.

Yes I from Rocky Point And if all goes well with the purchase will be boring the boat at Mount Sinai harbor.

We had a 38 moored in Mt Sinai Harbor for one year about 20+ years back - we were out of "Old Mans Boatyard".
Good luck with your purchase, your new to you boat, and for the upcoming season.

"The small cooler gets us through until the warm beer in the large cooler is chilled down. Now all we have to shuttle is ice."

In the NE USA Ballentine Ale is avilable.

It is the only brew that can be enjoyed cool, not almost frozen cold.

A simple net lowered will put the ale in the colder bottom water which is cool enough for enjoyment.

Solar will usually make enough juice to keep a good grade cooler like an Engles cold enough to hold food.

But if you are gone for a week , the unit could have warmed , then cooled , and spoiled food can make you sick.

There are recording thermometers that can be left in the box that will record just how warm the interior temps reached.

Last I saw Steve Dashew had them for sale on his site.

Might be a good investment for any reefer setup , barfing , or having a stomach pumped is much ungood .

Kept my boats on a mooring in a boat yard for nearly 40 years. My current boat, 9 ton Nordic Tug 32+, was on a mooring for 12 years. I had the yard put in a 500 pound Dor-Mor, and the chain was examined every 3-4 years, and replaced when needed. Dual Yale Maxi-Moor 1" pendants running through 1" chocks held the boat strong. The boat rode out storms up to Cat 1 hurricanes without problems. I have a 130 watt, 16.5 volt, 8 amp solar panel, and generates enough to maintain the charge on house bank, and kept refrig running (on low), when we would leave the boat for days at a time.

In 2006, we have a big Fall low pressure system come through with 2 days of sustained high winds, gusts up to 60 knots. The boat in front of me, a 40 foot, 9 ton Hunter Legend broke free (no chaffing gear), and came down on my boat, impaling its bow anchor onto my transom. Boat yard staff came out and tied the sailboat on my 2 stern cleats, and the 2 boats rode out the rest of the storm. Damage to my boat was a hole at the bow under the anchor guards, scratches down the port hull, last window smashed in the salon, and a hole in the transom (from the sailboat's bow anchor)... mostly cosmetic, and repaired. As pictured, the mooring carried both boats.

Make sure your mooring and gear are strong, chocks and cleats properly sized, AND MAKE SURE YOUR NEIGHBORS ARE EQUALLY SECURED !

Attachments

• Picture 043.jpg
    Picture 043.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 48
@Puffin_NT32

I was moored in that mooring field last season. I moved to their sister marina late last year. I think we're neighbors.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom