Fuel Capacity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My 24,000 lb Carver 35' ACMY (40' LWL) Cummins diesel holds 330 gallons in 3, 110 gal tanks.

At 2300 rpm and 19 kts I get 1 Nmpg
no.gif

At 1400 rpm which is displacement speed, I get 1.36 Nmpg and 8.3 kts.
blankstare.gif

Single engine at 1400 rpm I get 2.5 Nmpg and 7.2 kts.
biggrin.gif

There are many no wake zones in FL and I usually cruise single engine when in these zones, swapping engines every 20 minutes.

However I figure on average 1.5 Nmpg and with a 25% reserve that gives me a range of 375 miles. This is probably a little optimistic however. Admiral likes to go fast with comments like "We're not on our sailboat anymore"!

We cruise the intercoastal so have no real need for long range capabilities, fuel stops are generally less than an hour away. Besides this is no blue water boat.

The original tanks were replaced and the new ones hold a total of 100 galons. More than enough for coastal cruising. This year I installed a 20 galon day tank. It makes it easier to manage fuel consumption and it gives me a bit more fuel capacity.

The American Tug (34 ft)*fuel capacity is 400 gal (2 - 200 gal tanks).*

At 7.5 Knots, she burns*2.1 GPH for a max range of*1643 miles, getting 4.1 mpg.*

For perspective, one could run from Chicago to Mobile on about 2/3 of a tank.*

While I don't need nearly that much capacity, it does make it easy to look ahead and choose a fuel stop based on lowest price.*
smile.gif

600 US Gals fuel, which, at 8 knots, gives me 1200+ mile range. In july I refuelled (1200 litres) and will likely refuel again before next july. The reserve is nice when prices are all over the map, as they have been for the last while. I was able to wait till I got to a place where the fuel was a little cheaper.
300 US Gals water, lasts two weeks without having to conserve, 3 weeks if we can bathe in the salt water. We do refill whenever we get a chance, as you never know when the next opportunity will present.

Great Laker wrote:
The American Tug (34 ft)*fuel capacity is 400 gal (2 - 200 gal tanks).*

At 7.5 Knots, she burns*2.1 GPH for a max range of*1643 miles, getting 4.1 mpg.*

For perspective, one could run from Chicago to Mobile on about 2/3 of a tank.*

While I don't need nearly that much capacity, it does make it easy to look ahead and choose a fuel stop based on lowest price.*
smile.gif

But how much would it use to run from Mobile to Chicago?*

For the 2600 nm round trip to Alaska from Sidney BC, the DF 48's *820 gal *useable is pretty good. I prefer +1/2**load for ballasting. If I wasn't taking long journeys, I'd still have a Searay trailer boat.

450 gal. in one tank.* It seems about the right amount.* Leave the East coast of FL and cruise to the Abacos and putter from anchorage to anchorge plus a few marinas for a few weeks*on 300 gal.*

At 27 knots get .95 to 1.0 mpg.* That includes idling time at bridges and slow zones.* So it is not all 27 knots.* Slightly less*if the seas are running a little high.* Measured distance against gallons used is the*best way I know to figure it.*

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Wednesday 21st of September 2011 01:11:44 PM

I want to fuel up where Capt Jerry gets his fuel ,

the boat that* i run holds 1600 gals, just fueled it up and it took 1176 gals* for 3,0150dollars,= $2.56 a gallon

Delta Swizzler holds 1400 gallons in two 700 saddle tanks. I can be alittle picky when and where I get fuel, but when I stop, I'm there for awhile. DD 6V92's are alittle thristy but they push the boat along well if need be, but I have more time then money so we putt pretty slow. Price of fuel at my marina in California is $3.94 so $2.56 looks really good from here.*

Dswizzler wrote:
I want to fuel up where Capt Jerry gets his fuel ,

the boat that* i run holds 1600 gals, just fueled it up and it took 1176 gals* for 3,0150dollars,= $2.56 a gallon

*Man you have it made my fuel cost is $4.27 per gallon

The last diesel I got was $2.59 per gallon on the ICW (anout a month ago) in SC. Actually less than what it was selling for at the corner gas station. It's too far away for my regular stop, though.

rwidman wrote:
The last diesel I got was $2.59 per gallon on the ICW (anout a month ago) in SC. Actually less than what it was selling for at the corner gas station. It's too far away for my regular stop, though.
*Where was that, Ron.* I am going to need a couple of hundred gallons before starting South.

rwidman:* But how much would it use to run from Mobile to Chicago?*

----------------------------------------------------------

Excellent point. However, I didn't factor in the downstream currents into this calculation.* I would probably use the same amount of fuel, and just get there faster!*

Great Laker wrote:
rwidman:* But how much would it use to run from Mobile to Chicago?*

----------------------------------------------------------

Excellent point. However, I didn't factor in the downstream currents into this calculation.* I would probably use the same amount of fuel, and just get there faster!*

I think you could go from Chicago to Mobile with no fuel use at all if you had a way to steer the boat.**

Moonstruck wrote:rwidman wrote:
*Where was that, Ron.* I am going to need a couple of hundred gallons before starting South.

Osprey Marina,* Mile Marker 373.* South of Myrtle Beach, SC.

http://www.ospreymarina.net/

-- Edited by rwidman on Wednesday 21st of September 2011 05:10:40 PM

rwidman wrote:Moonstruck wrote:rwidman wrote:

*I am familiar with Osprey.* They and New River in NC usually have the cheapest on the waterway, but $2.59 is an awesome price.* 400 mile round trip for me.* Otherwise I would be there.* That's over $1 cheaper than Florda Petroleum in Fernandina.

Cruisers Net shows that Osprey was checked on 9/21 at $3.69/gal.

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Wednesday 21st of September 2011 05:24:12 PM

1350 Gallons in three tanks. Single 120HP perkins pushes our 42' and 27,000 LBS at 8kts, 1.5 GPH.*

27K lbs sure is light JMYSS. And I see in your avatar pic quite an angle to your QBBL. Those 2 factors give you a big advantage in fuel economy. Unlike most trawlers w a straight run aft your boat is half way to a full disp hull.

My fuel capacity is 750 gal (3000 lts) With the Fiat I burned 17 lts/hr at 8 knts range 1200 N Miles with 10% reserve.
With this on long trips out to the reef for a couple of weeks I loaded a 500 lt bladder on the back deck.
Now with the Gardner fitted my fuel burn is about 12 lts/hr at 8 knots, range is now approx 1800 N Miles with 10 % reserve.
So it looks like I have a bladder going on the market pretty soon.

As I have always said you can make water but it's dam hard to make diesel when you are out at sea.

Moonstruck wrote:rwidman wrote:Moonstruck wrote:rwidman wrote:

*I am familiar with Osprey.* They and New River in NC usually have the cheapest on the waterway, but $2.59 is an awesome price.* 400 mile round trip for me.* Otherwise I would be there.* That's over $1 cheaper than Florda Petroleum in Fernandina.

Cruisers Net shows that Osprey was checked on 9/21 at $3.69/gal.

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Wednesday 21st of September 2011 05:24:12 PM

I think I posted (from memory) wrong.* I think it was what you posted minus 10 cents per gallon for BoatUS.* Sorry.

It was still cheaper than other marinas and even gas stations.

175 gallons in 2 tanks. I get about 5 gph@15kts....2800RPMs.... 240hp Yanmar. Obviously, if I slowed down to 7kts I would probably burn about 1.5....but who knows. This boat really isn't happy at that speed.

800 gallons in 4 tanks, but I usually only fill to about 600 gallons. Unless I find a really good deal on fuel!

Fuel burn 3.6GPH at 1600 RPM, which usually gives me 7.2-7.5 knots. 1800 RPM will give me 8.5 knots, but burn rate goes up to 5GPH. I keep it slow, I am no hurry to get to the next fuel dock!

We hold 444 gallons of fuel in our 48' boat.

At 1k rpm we burn 2.6 gph total, 6.8 kt for a 1160 nm range.
at 1200 rpm we burn 4.6 gph, 7.8 kt 750 nm range
At 2400 rpm we burn 26 gph, 16.4 kt, 280 nm range

>> Now with the Gardner fitted ...

Hi, Benn.* I was hoping someone else would ask so I wouldn't have to show my ignorance.* What is the Gardner and what does it do?* Where'd you get it and what was the cost?* That's a big boost in fuel economy.

Thanks.* Gary

Ken T - My 48 DF with about 800 gallons useable has nearly identical RPM vs*fuel burn numbers. I've got PS 225s, what are* your engines?

rwidman wrote:*How much fuel does your boat hold and what is the length?
*Grand Banks 36, original three tanks held 450 gallons, the five tank system the previous owner installed the year before we bought the boat holds 400 gallons.

Gary,
Gardner Diesel Engines are an old Pommie design and built.
They are no longer made but were so popular and economical that parts are still available .
These engines were both marine ann transport engines.
I have fitted a 6LXB 10.4 lt engine producing 127 Hp at 1500 RPM and they run at a cool 60 deg C (pretty big and heavy but Oh so good.)
Look up a previous post here re Transplant and you will see photos.
Other than the USA these engines are all over the world

300 gal in 2 tanks. We use approx 3 gal/hr @ 8 knts. Usually fill up twice a year. When these iron tanks go, we'll probably go back with only 150 gal. total, which is plenty for us.

Back
Top Bottom