Hi All!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JSLutz

My wife and I are seriously thinking about living aboard, as I have less than 10 years until retirement. We are looking at trawlers, and thinking about the doing the Great American Loop, as well as travelling the Bahamas and points south.

Oh, no, sorry - you're in the wrong place. We don't do any of that here......

:D :D :D

Welcome!

Welcome aboard, JSL! I don't live aboard, but there are plenty here who do and can share insights and lessons learned. I was in your position 10 years ago when I was 5 years from retirement. I wanted to buy a boat before I retired to

1. Make sure it's something I enjoyed and wanted to in retirement

2. Have 5 years to make the boat my own before cutting the cord of steady income.

I'm glad I did it that way because I found it gave me 5 more years to enjoy the boat while prepping for retirement and gave me a good benchmark for costs and complexities like maintenance and learning safe operation. I found this forum invaluable in both areas.

Tell us more about your intended uses. Do you like to fish or dive? How many aboard? Want to be able to sleep numerous guests? Lots of variables in picking the 'just right' boat.

In the meantime, here's something in your neighborhood to wet your whistle.

Jefferson Beach Yacht Sales (St. Clair Shores, MI)

Welcome aboard!

Great Loop what's that? LOL

Welcome J. Any boating experience? There is a thread here somewhere to help you with finding a new/used boat and livaboard. We have been livaboard for 4 years...

Thanks. I was a QM and a coxswain in the Navy at one time and have driven other peoples boats. I'm looking for information on live aboard, and find a boat that will fit what my wife and I am looking to do, or something to use as a stepping stone while we still live "up north."

Some information about me...

1. Make sure it's something I enjoyed and wanted to in retirement

We are beginning to search for boats now, and if we can swing it financially, get something to work with before doing the live aboard.

2. Have 5 years to make the boat my own before cutting the cord of steady income.

My plan if we can, swing it, is watch for openings, work-wise, in the south (i.e. Gulf Coast or Atlantic) so we can test out things before retirement age.

I'm glad I did it that way because I found it gave me 5 more years to enjoy the boat while prepping for retirement and gave me a good benchmark for costs and complexities like maintenance and learning safe operation. I found this forum invaluable in both areas.

Tell us more about your intended uses. Do you like to fish or dive?

We want to learn to dive.

How many aboard? 2 most of the time

Want to be able to sleep numerous guests? sometimes

Lots of variables in picking the 'just right' boat.

Yes there are.

In the meantime, here's something in your neighborhood to wet your whistle.

Jefferson Beach Yacht Sales (St. Clair Shores, MI)

Welcome aboard![/QUOTE]

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom