Broughton Islands

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

olegreg

Veteran Member
Hello Everyone,
Last year we had a quiet 4th on Sucia Island. This year we will be in the Broughton Islands. Just coming out of the Seattle Boat show, I am making early reservations. Any favorite resorts for Canada Day and the 4th?
Greg

July 4th is not a holiday in Canada. Have never heard any fireworks on Canada Day either. Thank goodness, my dog's go crazy!

Pierre's Echo Bay

Last August we did the Broughtons on a chartered boat out of Powell River. Pierres is the high point with the Sat nite pig roast. (Yes it's the whole pig) make reservations in the summer it's popular. Other great stopover was Kwatsi Bay, they have a pot luck that's fun as well. The Broughtons are great cruising grounds. Amazing scenery, quiet anchorages, Fort McNeil for reprovisioning, a complete mix of weather. Just watch the rapids and go at slack water. Enjoy!

Sullivan Bay puts on a great firework display. They celebrate the 4th and is a great place to hang...

We go to the Broughtons for peace and quiet, not fireworks and marinas! The good news is that there is room enough for both styles. My guess is that Sullivan Bay might have fireworks but they had no water last summer. Kwatsi has good water but is serene and secluded. Top off water in Refuge Cove on your way north.

Have never heard any fireworks on Canada Day either. Thank goodness, my dog's go crazy!

Possible you dont hear them in Anacortes, but in Vancouver it is an annual spectacle, with big barges full of pyrotechnics in Coal Bay.

One year we anchored near a barge in Deer Harbor and were asked to move away, but not given a reason. We complied, thinking we were in some sort of working zone only to learn, in the middle of a late dinner, that it was the fireworks barge and that some Microsoft guy with a mansion overlooking the harbor had paid for a 15 minute 4th of July show!

Possible you dont hear them in Anacortes, but in Vancouver it is an annual spectacle, with big barges full of pyrotechnics in Coal Bay.

Last year was Canada'a 150th birthday, so don't expect quite so much for 2018. Usually there is at barge of fireworks within sight of Canada Place, the east side of Stanley Park, and many of the marinas in Coal Harbour. We have enjoyed watching them from our own boat, when our slip was on the east end of the marina.
Later in the summer, towards the end of July, there are several more nights of fireworks, these in English Bay, viewable from the west side of Stanley Park, and all around English Bay.

Just as a sidebar to Broughton-area resorts, Farewell Harbor is operating again after being closed for many years. There is no dockage for transient boats, but it's a good place to anchor and the restaurant might even accommodate you.

Back
Top Bottom