Raymarine Navigation Acronym

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tamrow

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Chesapeake
Vessel Make
Mainship 30 Pilot II
On my Raymarine Axiom there is an acronym in the menu for adding navigation data to app screens (like the chart, radar and data screens) called BOTW. Anyone know what it stands for? It's the only one I can't figure out and Raymarine has no glossary of acronym terms that I could find. I even Googled it and couldn't find it. I'm imagining it is some variation of BTW (Bering To Waypoint).

I see it listed in the Axiom manual, but it does not describe what it means. Suggest you call Raymarine support, they are very good.

Easiest way to find out is ask at forum.raymarine.com

They have excellent tech support on forum.

John

Johnrupp, yes the Raymarine Forum was indispensable when I installed my electronics. Apparently BOTW must not be a common navigation term if the crew here at Trawler Forum hasn't heard it. Maybe it's their own proprietary acronym. Raymarine Forum is my next stop.

Bearing Over The Water?

Bottom of the water. Uh oh.

I wonder if it is as simple as a typo for BTW.

The Data Items listed in the Navigation Select Data screen include BTW and BOTW. I'm wondering if it is something along the lines of CTS (Course To Steer). Bearing Offset To Waypoint is the best guess I can come up with. I posted the question on Raymarine Forum and am waiting for a reply.

It isn’t a typo. I found it in the owners manual for Axioms but it did not define it.

I'm getting closer! Message from the Raymarine Forum...

"Unfortunately, the currently available documentation lacks an Acronyms appendix. Accordingly, a query has been submitted to the engineering team to provide definition for the BOTW acronym. Through some empirical testing here within the Product Support lab, BOTW appears to be the course angle created from the vessel’s position (when the GoTo was commanded) to the waypoint being navigated to … not to be confused with the bearing to the waypoint being navigated to. BTW will change as the vessel drifts away from the course line, while the BOTW appears to remain constant. This post will be updated upon receiving a response from Raymarine's engineering team."

I think "Break out the wine" is better.

In response to my question about the meaning of the acronym BOTW (which, by the way means "Bearing: Origin To Waypoint"), the Raymarine Forum Moderator posted the entire acronyms and abbreviations list used within Raymarine products. Here is the link...
Acronyms and abbreviations used within Raymarine products

Thanks for the update. I am going to save the list on my ipad for future reference.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom