converting a cozy cabin heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TugYacht_33

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Mhyzhen
Vessel Make
Custom 33' Glen-L design "union jack"
im the proud owner of a NOS force 10 cozy cabin heater
it was screwed to the wall of a consignment store i visited today out on long island several years ago and i couldnt leave without it
it is a natural gas model
question is, has anyone converted one of these to propane from NG? if so is it a simple orifice swap like in a home stove ? or are the burner units from force 10 non serviceable?

it didnt come with the deck cap, so that will be another 75-90 bucks, or i can just make something comparable, im hoping i can convert this, it is basically new, never used, still had some of the plastic protector stuff on it, but even if im forced to buy the new conversion piece i will still be in the ball park of new price ....... so i have to possibility of an awesome deal, with worst case being just a good deal so all in all a nice little find i think :)

and the consignment store i didnt find on the list so im going to put it here for any folks going through the area......

1st marine consignment of long island
30 carlough rd
bohemia, ny 11716
631-647-3628
open 7 days a week, 10-6
also open earlier or later by appointment (they are great to work with :))

this place has everything, and i do mean everything, packed neatly to the gills, and sorted for easy scrounging around a good 5-6 thousand sqft warehouse .... and new stuff coming in all the time!

You should just have to change the orifice. If the oem doesn't have them, any gas appliance store or large propane supplier should have them.

thats what i wanted to hear :)

i found a parts list for the new sig cozy cabin models, 89042 is the part number im looking for i think, but it will be monday before i can call and talk to someone

now im grinnin like a sneaky 10y/o lol

You should just have to change the orifice. If the oem doesn't have them, any gas appliance store or large propane supplier should have them.

Someone with actual expertise should chime in here.

I have changed a BBQ from NG to LPG. The kit from the mfg included new orifices and a new regulator, so expect to need one.
The NG orifices are much larger than for LPG. The difference is due to pressure, LPG being higher by a factor, so to properly regulate that pressure, the NG regulator may not be built within the right limits.

Greetings,
Mr. k. I agree, new regulator because of pressure but AFAIK the orifices for NG (methane) are larger because of the size of the gas molecule (LPG (propane) being the larger molecule).

Greetings,
Mr. k. I agree, new regulator because of pressure but AFAIK the orifices for NG (methane) are larger because of the size of the gas molecule (LPG (propane) being the larger molecule).

That may be (not a molecular chemist), but isn't a factor in the design of appliances. The orifices for Propane and for Natural Gas are measured in number drill sizes, not in microns. The one for NG is a # 72, for Propane, #55. How many molecules wide is that?
TEC STERLING II LP ORIFICIES - Great Savings on TEC Gas Grill Replacement Parts

natural gas consists of

methane
butane
ethane
propane

and is lighter than air

propane is heavier then air

thats why the orifice for NG is larger than that for LP

edit: in a simple "analog" burner cevice device the regulator would stay the same i think, just the orifice would be changed

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. k. Apologies for possibly providing erroneous information. I defer to those who actually know...

well, i said i think..... i converted a commercial flat top to propane a couple years back and when i asked about a reg when i picked up new orifices that is what i remember the service tech telling me

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom