View Single Post
Old 02-03-2018, 03:31 PM   #13
Aquabelle
Guru

City: East Coast, Australia
From post #6 in a thread by obthmas started 07-01-2014 by rduval: TheUniflow valve is a set of shuttle valves so the cylinder has a return path to the helms whether going to port or to starboard. The helms do not have checkvalves as the uniflow eliminates the need.

And from obthomas post #13 in that same thread: the purpose of the univalve isto eliminate check valves at the helms.

obthmas also posted a number of very useful Capilano documents in that thread, which explain exactly how the Uniflow valve is to be installed and how it can be used to simply & easily bleed the system. The key point I think is that theCapilano/Teleflex 250V-based systems are not true 3-line, but 2-line systems; the 3rd line from the Univalve is not pressurized for steering, but 'just' provides a return pathway back to the helm pumps. These systems were regarded as best-in-class in their day and were installed in many commercial vessels doing hard service.

There is also the mysterious, recurring reference to a Vetus solution: I think most of these are in fact quoting the one 2006 online source (details below),which says:

"What to do if your Univalve fails? I have found a company by the name of Vetus Den Ouden, Inc which is a Netherlands company. They have US distribution from Maryland, see www.vetus.com.
This company sells their own pumps cylinders etc primarily in the European market. Their pumps are sold with a built in return valve or without. For the "non-return" pumps, they route expelled steering slave cylinder fluid through a "non-return" valve block (same idea as the Uvalve). This valve
is available as part number K30/140 for $US260. The drawback is that the entire Vetus line of steering components is plumbed in metric fittings. With a little creativity, this speed bump can be circumvented. You could save your old sytle Capilano pump which use the 3 line system. Vetus [also] offers another valve which will serve as a Non-return block. This one also has a by-pass valve built into it which will allow for system bleeding and in the event you need to put a tiller onto your rudder in an emergency steering situation. This non-return/bypass valve is over $600,..."

[source: http://lists.trawlering.com/pipermai...l/103867.html]

I think it would be worth following up this Vetus reference, which isvery specific. And if not Vetus, another generic bypass-valve solution. I suspect Ski (Eric's)post could have the answer. While Teleflex & Seastar don't provide direct replacements, it doesn't seem like what the U-50 is doing is unique in the hydraulics world. SeaStar & others have a commercial interest in 'upgrading' customers to the newer...but not necessarilybetter....1250 (and equivalent) helm pumps. At around $1,000+ for each pump before the skilled labour involved in removing not just the 250V pumps but univalve and 3rd line (yes, it could be just capped off), those with 2+ helms who think they need to go this route might want to evaluate jumping even further along the technology chain to even newer solutions from other vendors
Aquabelle is offline   Reply With Quote