Furuno GP32 versus GP33 nmea0183 cable

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arthurc

Guru
Vessel Name
Sea Bear
Vessel Make
Kadey-Krogen 54
Hi,
I’m considering swapping my GP32 GPS unit with a GP33 as it would give me native N2K output. Does anyone know if the N0183 cables are the same for both units? I’m hoping it would be a bit of an easy swap of just the head unit.
The reason for doing this is I’d like all devices running off the same GPS signal.
Other option is to put one of the GP330 units wired into my DRS radar.

Thoughts?

Just Incase anyone has the same question, no the cables aren’t the same but the GP33 is a big step up. Doing the swap this weekend.

I would recommend putting the 33 to the drs radar (it was originally designed for this ) and leaving the 320 in place. Although older the 320 is actually a superior unit (according to Furuno itself ). No good reason to have everything needing gps input tied to the one instrument. ...much better to have redundancy/backup and having gps output to both nmea 0183 and 2000 gives you a lot of flexibility. I have both the 32 and the 330. In my nn3d configuration if the 32 failed the 330 automatically takes over.

Thanks, I was thinking the same but already have redundancy since my FA170 has 0183 out and my TZT2 has N2k out, I just want all equipment using one primary source. Also in talking to the furuno reps it sounds like the GP33 is better than the 32 in overall performance plus plugs into NavNet. Where did you read that the 32 was superior?

I would not connect via the radar, because then the TZ ( and maybe the radar too) needs to be on for other devices to use the GPS. TA anchor, the GPS is good to have for an anchor alarm, and to feed he VHF with position info in case of emergency.

Arthur there's a post about the 32 vs 330 on Furuno's customer forum where the Furuno tech says "newer not necessarily better". IIRC the 330 is basic other than having nmea 2000 connectivity. The radar does not have to be on the to power the gps.

I agree with twisted tree, in talking to the furuno guys at the boat show last weekend the 330 has some pretty big disadvantages, one major one is that the radar prioritizes radar traffic on the network (which makes sense) also since it’s doing n2k to navnet and back I don’t see how it could operate if the radar PS looses power?
Agreed the 33 from a reception standpoint isn’t better but it isn’t worse, and does add canbus support plus since I’m all furuno will integrate right in while keeping a 0183 output for my stabilizers.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom