Stern Thruster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GracieGene

Vessel Name
GracieGene
Vessel Make
35'Senator Sundeck
I have gotten a quote to have a 24 volt Stern Thruster installed
$8,000.00 is that in the ball park?

I put a 12 volt Side Power stern thruster on our boat last year. It cost about $4000 for the thruster and materials. I installed it myself. Easy to do, but I will tackle almost anything on my boat except internal engine work. Took me about 2 to 3 days with a helper. Love it.

That's about the price that New England Bow Thruster quoted me for a stern thruster here in Connecticut a couple of years ago. Including battery, new controller (I already had a bow Thruster) and complete installation.

Last edited:
There is the cost of the thruster.

The cost of the batteries

The cost of hauling the boat

There is labor to cut the hole

There is labor to build the battery platform

There is the labor to run the electrical wiring both for batteries and controls

$8,000 does not sound out of line.

A good rule of thumb that seldom lets me down is when hiring the complete job done by professionals is to double the cost of the hardware. Of course there are exceptions to that high end electronics being one. But for electric / hydraulic / mechanical systems it's good place to start rough planning and to check estimates from the pros.

We had one installed last year. Depending on the size, your price is in the ballpark.

But, be very careful about picking a company to do the installation. Although we love having the stern thruster, we had a bad experience with our installer. When it came time for warranty service they were nowhere to be found. Won’t make that mistake again. :banghead:

Paul

That is why I do most of the work on my boat, besides having fun.

I think it all depends on what your Install looks like and boat size, mine was over 20k but as a full tube similar to a bow thruster, and was oversized for a 54ft boat plus done at a great yard. The only problem now is it makes my bow thruster look weak :)

They also fully integrated the controls with the hydraulic bow thruster and provided a remote which is really great for single handing, especially such a heavy boat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom