1978 CHB 34' tri-cabin SURVEYORS...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Congratulations on your new acquisition. I'm sure that, like us, you will find it brings a huge value to your life. We've had our boat 14 years now and still enjoy and use it as much as we did when we first got it. Major big benefit to both our lives.

When maneuvering a single engine boat, particularly in reverse, I have found that intertia is your best friend. By altering the direction of thrust and the proper use of the rudder, you can back a single-engine boat for hundreds of yards in close quarters if necessary with total success. It takes understanding how to use the intertia of the boat in combination with thrust and rudder, but it's not rocket science and once you've begun to master it, it is, as Scott said, a lot of fun.

I first learned to do this in 60' narrowboats in England which have flat bottoms, no keel, very shallow draft, and tremendous propwalk in reverse. When we chartered a single engine GB36 I applied the same principles we'd learned in the narrowboats and lo and behold, they worked exactly the same way. The boat had a bow thruster but we never thought to use it unless we were dealing with docking in strong winds.

So learn the intertia behavior of your boat and how to use it to your advantage and you will do fine without a bow thruster. Although a bow thruster can, indeed, make life a lot easier at times.

image-430690639.jpg

Last edited:
Howdy ahoyvey...

I've read through all these posts. You sound like a level headed fellow. I recommend you don't let everyone/anyone scare you regarding the items they may be fearful of or have had happen to them. :facepalm:

I can tell you well employ KISS, CYA, and Thrift-Techniques of developing deals, choosing products and thoroughly accomplishing due diligence. BTW, especially in the marine market these days, cash purchase of a classic “Pleasure Boat” usually gives the buyer great leverage... good move ta pay CA$H! ;)

Now don’t get me wrong... some of the cautions, repairs and costs mentioned in this thread could well occur. But, with REAL GOOD survey check-ups (entire boat and all mechanical conditions) and by utilizing professionals in your area to give repair estimates on any items needing repair... you should be in a great position to convince the seller as to how much CASH $$$ you should pay for this boat. IMHO, if the seller will not sell at the fair CASH $$$ price you deem is the boat’s true value, then you should simply walk away!!! In today’s market there are plenty of boats at affordable prices and in darn good condition to choose from. Walking away from an eventual financial dud, to find a financial winner with further searching will make you (and keep you) very happy in the long run! :D

I look forward to hear of your success for purchase of this or another really good boat.

Also, as I can tell you already know, the estimates for repairs by professionals can usually be reduced considerably via self-work and outside hires. Working on a classic boats are half the fun as you and your craft get into “bonding”. :smitten:

TF here seems to have plenty of long-term mariners who can answer nearly any question that comes up... Upon purchase - - > Ask Away!! :thumb:

Happy Boating Daze! - Art :speed boat:

Hawsers and two transom steps? You must have gotten one of the upscale versions! That 4 bladed prop looks good. You'll be the fastest 34' trawler on the coast. Your rudder looks larger than mine. I don't have that tail on the trailing edge of the rudder. You should have good handling forward and backward. I'm so jealous.

Good luck with her! Changing the name?

Thanks! I am thrilled! She's a great boat! Gonna keep the name.... Kinda feel like its bad luck to change it.

I don't know what planet you are on but it sounds like a very nice place. Until we all find that place, I'll continue to advise others to do their own research, seek recommendations and hide the liquor.

Since you are a broker you should state that when giving advice. Then we'll know what it's worth.
Your witty dude!

Good info here.

Howdy ahoyvey...

I've read through all these posts. You sound like a level headed fellow. I recommend you don't let everyone/anyone scare you regarding the items they may be fearful of or have had happen to them. :facepalm:

I can tell you well employ KISS, CYA, and Thrift-Techniques of developing deals, choosing products and thoroughly accomplishing due diligence. BTW, especially in the marine market these days, cash purchase of a classic “Pleasure Boat” usually gives the buyer great leverage... good move ta pay CA$H! ;)

Now don’t get me wrong... some of the cautions, repairs and costs mentioned in this thread could well occur. But, with REAL GOOD survey check-ups (entire boat and all mechanical conditions) and by utilizing professionals in your area to give repair estimates on any items needing repair... you should be in a great position to convince the seller as to how much CASH $$$ you should pay for this boat. IMHO, if the seller will not sell at the fair CASH $$$ price you deem is the boat’s true value, then you should simply walk away!!! In today’s market there are plenty of boats at affordable prices and in darn good condition to choose from. Walking away from an eventual financial dud, to find a financial winner with further searching will make you (and keep you) very happy in the long run! :D

I look forward to hear of your success for purchase of this or another really good boat.

Also, as I can tell you already know, the estimates for repairs by professionals can usually be reduced considerably via self-work and outside hires. Working on a classic boats are half the fun as you and your craft get into “bonding”. :smitten:

TF here seems to have plenty of long-term mariners who can answer nearly any question that comes up... Upon purchase - - > Ask Away!! :thumb:

Happy Boating Daze! - Art :speed boat:
" plenty of used boats in good condition" LOL I just looked at 9 used trawlers not one was even in a condition to leave the dock....

" plenty of used boats in good condition" LOL I just looked at 9 used trawlers not one was even in a condition to leave the dock....

I surely did not mean there are not as many or more boats in simply rotten condition. Boat search takes smarts to not spend time looking at other than good condition boats. Buyer [i.e. looker] be ware! ;)

I surely did not mean there are not as many or more boats in simply rotten condition. Boat search takes smarts to not spend time looking at other than good condition boats. Buyer [i.e. looker] be ware! ;)
Most of the boat ads used old photos - One-from a broker hawking a Defever 41 in Naples- used 10 year old photos-- drove 400 miles to see this mess (which had lots of Irma damage ---also undisclosed)

Most of the boat ads used old photos - One-from a broker hawking a Defever 41 in Naples- used 10 year old photos-- drove 400 miles to see this mess (which had lots of Irma damage ---also undisclosed)

Yup - unfortunately that BS does happen. We also have been occasionally drawn-in by false ads, photos and/or statements. Luckily, there are so many boats in our region that we can limit our search to 125 mile radius... mostly closer.

When you step aboard the "correct" boat you may soon get "that" feeling. Of course, surveys and tests as well as financial negations need to also turn out to be in the "correct" zone.

Good Luck!

Happy Boat-Search Daze! - Art :speed boat:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom