$2 USD per pound for lead?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
FORTITUDE
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 54-8
I found a local supplier for lead bar or ingots (to correct a port list). Quoted me about $2.00 per pound for 500 lbs of 60 lb bars.

Good price?

I found a local supplier for lead bar or ingots (to correct a port list). Quoted me about $2.00 per pound for 500 lbs of 60 lb bars.

Good price?

Seems like money better spent on lead --- floating in electrolyte --- and increasing the house bank. Why not put the added weight to use?

8D batteries go for about $1.50 per lb.

I have not bought lead for ballast for about 10 years, but that seems to be a reasonable price. I understand the comment about adding batteries, but on our previous boat there was room for ballast and not room for an equivalent weight in batteries, besides I had enough batteries in that boat anyway. Make sure you glass the lead in so it won’t move around underway.

On the commodities mkt it is selling for $1.20, so he and and the middleman are making .80 cents a pound. Seems not to far out of line. The stuff is heavy!

My boat was in California at the time and lead in CA was about $4 a pound. I lived in Tucson and was able to pick it up in Yuma for about $1.50 on my way through. Had to carry about 800 pounds over the mountains to San Diego but it was still a big savings.

Go crawl on the outboard side of the low side of the boat. More than once I have been on boats that had lead on BOTH sides!!!

Good price?

Call Jeff at Sailboat Wrecking Yard up in Lynden. His primary business is recycling keels for the lead. I can assure you that if you're willing to drive up to Lynden he'll give you a much better price on 500 lbs. Call him in advance to ask about availability and ask about a cash discount.

Jeff can be reached at 360-739-8748.

Go crawl on the outboard side of the low side of the boat. More than once I have been on boats that had lead on BOTH sides!!!

I did exactly that last weekend pulling ever panel and accessing what I could. I was looking for trapped water or ballast. Other than about a gallon or rainwater in the laz(due to a clogged hatch drain) neither was found.

Call Jeff at Sailboat Wrecking Yard up in Lynden. His primary business is recycling keels for the lead. I can assure you that if you're willing to drive up to Lynden he'll give you a much better price on 500 lbs. Call him in advance to ask about availability and ask about a cash discount.

Jeff can be reached at 360-739-8748.

Great tip, thank you!

There is a guy in my area who salvages abandoned sailboats for the lead in the keels.

He is clearly nut case and very poorly equipped for the jobbut he gets them off the river and that's a good thing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom