View Single Post
Old 01-28-2018, 09:30 PM   #9
jimL

City: Cruising North Towards Boston
Vessel Name: Lemon Drops
Vessel Model: 2001 Grand Banks Europa 52
Jimmy & Chris and others,

I will call the Joe at Jatco. Putting the dink on the aft or fwd cabin decks are not options for a multitude of reasons, but thanks for the suggestions.

I think the concern is the weight of the davits and dink on the swim platform that ultimately stresses the transom is the concern. I have been trying to engage with other MS 430 aft cabin owners on their arrangements with success. The struts that support the swim platform are thru bolted thru the transom. Putting another less than 500 pounds may result in stress on the transom or may not. It would be great to know what the design specs of the transom and the swim platform were when the MS trawlers were designed and made.

I went to the NYC boat show this weekend and saw a few dinks under 450 lbs that would work - side console, AL hull, and a 20hp motor. All had good lifting hooks. Only one marina was there that would deal with the davits and the recommendation was St Croix.

Still looking and learning.

For those who have cruised the Caribbean and ICW, do you recommend a tiller drive or a center console? We are my wife and I with foldable bikes and love to explore and dive.

Thanks as always for your input.

Jim
jimL is offline   Reply With Quote