CANPASS program worth it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hamrow

Vessel Make
American Tug 435
-for entering Canada on a private vessel. From the CBSA site, it's supposed to make things a bit easier but i just wondered if anyone on TF recommends it.
It says everyone on the boat must be a CANPASS member if you're going to use it, and it lasts for 5 years.

...and on a related topic here, can anyone comment on doing the customs call check-in at Steveston Harbour south of Vancouver? This seems to be a logical port of entry when coming up from Washington State...

We used to have Canpass, now have Nexus. Nexus also can be used when driving into Canada.

We haven't used Steveston as a port of entry going north but we've been in there. I recall bucking a significant outflow current going up the Frazier river from Sand Heads to Steveston.

We use NEXUS and have for several years. Pretty painless entry process and it also make crossing on land a lot faster.

Depending on where you are going into BC there are several ports of entry. Sydney is a great stop. You also can check in at Montague Harbor, Pender, Stevenson and many other locations. Best to call CBSA on the phone and tell them what your destination is and check in at the closest one to that location.

Nexus is better than canpass simply because for the same price you have canpass+global entry+tsa precheck and you can use in to go in/out canada and us and mexico (never tried in mexico).

L

I use nexus and if I stop (Nexus allows call in if all on board are Nexus holders) I stop at Nanaimo. It's not crowded, etc. And Prince Rupert on the other side.

The Ports of entry, by boat, to BC can be seen here:
Canadian Customs - Reporting Stations and Ports of Entry

There are several that are convenient to boaters coming up from Puget Sound. I note that Montague is not mentioned, and I have never heard of CBSA allowing entry at that location. Poets Cove is one of the most convenient. Second for convenience is likely Sidney or Vancouver.

We have cleared at Montague several times. Dock is next to the fuel dock.

I second the Nexus for the reasons stated above. In addition, as a registered "trusted traveler," you're more likely to be able to report in by phone and never have to physically report to one of those entry ports. It is worth repeating that everyone aboard must have his or her own Nexus pass; if a guest is aboard who is not enrolled in this program, Nexus reporting procedures may not be used for anyone.

Being in the Blaine area, we have used White Rock to clear on several occasions. With Canpass or Nexus, there ar more options for entering. Also have used, Poets Cove, Sidney, Van Isle.

Here is a link to CBSA entry points, some may surprise you......https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/do-rb/services/canpb-canbp-eng.html

Mike: Thanks for that link. It seems there is a benefit to having Canpass or Nexus, especially if I could clear back into Canada at what is essentially my home marina. Too bad yours isn't on the list.

When I last investigated Canpass or Nexus, the application process and the cost seemed excessive for an average of one crossing to the US a year. Recently, however I have seen Nexus used to bypass airport lineups when entering from or leaving for destinations other than the US or Mex, for which it is designed.

Mike: Thanks for that link. It seems there is a benefit to having Canpass or Nexus, especially if I could clear back into Canada at what is essentially my home marina. Too bad yours isn't on the list.

When I last investigated Canpass or Nexus, the application process and the cost seemed excessive for an average of one crossing to the US a year. Recently, however I have seen Nexus used to bypass airport lineups when entering from or leaving for destinations other than the US or Mex, for which it is designed.
I can tell you that nexus is one of the best 50$/5 years I have spent. Speed up departure arrival with dedicated line and simplified process at the airport, same by car and same by boat. I am travelling by air 2 or 3 times a year and when I am back to Montreal airport I need less than 15 minutes to be in the cab back home.
L

Thanks, now that i've read this it sounds like it might be more convenient (& fun) to just pick a place like Sidney or nearby on the way up. Due to travel for work, we've had GOES (Global Entry) for many years simply because that's what my office uses. its great for airport travel and an alternative to Nexus, but sounds like it doesn't help in the marine world. Anyway, not sure i want to pay for Nexus when i already have GOES... but again this is all great info!

For entering the US from Canada by water a Boater ID Number is invaluable if all on vessel have it. You can phone in from anywhere on water once you've re-entered US from BC. Works both in WA and AK. I've used it to avoid delays in Ketchikan when headed North. Of course, cell phone or Sat phone needed.

For entering the US from Canada by water a Boater ID Number is invaluable if all on vessel have it. You can phone in from anywhere on water once you've re-entered US from BC. Works both in WA and AK. I've used it to avoid delays in Ketchikan when headed North. Of course, cell phone or Sat phone needed.

not sure what the "Boater ID number" is....?

You can also get a BR number from CBP in lieu of a Nexus Card for marine travel. My wife did that for a couple of years.

not sure what the "Boater ID number" is....?

Here's the drill using Nexus:

US Boat Into Canada: To use telephone check in, you call them on their 800 line and give them either your boat's federal documentation number or your state-issued registration number. They will ask you what you have on board (booze, tobacco, guns, how much cash, etc). They will then ask you where your first port of call will be in Canada, from the choices on the list referenced in an earlier post, and your ETA. (We usually use Miner's Bay in Active Pass, close to Montague). Finally, they will give you a clearance number and tell you that if an agent doesn't meet you at the location and time specified, you are free to go.

Returning to the US: Using telephone check in, you call them and tell where you are and where you're going for the night. They will want your documentation or registration number, and a BR number that you are given when granted Nexus. Your wife will have her own BR number. They will then ask you for the number on your Homeland Security decal that you bought for around $28 before your trip. Finally, they'll want your Canadian clearance number that you received entering Canada.

Regarding if all of the above is worth it in terms of being cost or time effective, the answer is a big yes......you avoid having to travel to a customs dock which might be well out of your way.:thumb:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom