Old 01-25-2018, 10:27 PM   #10
Nomad Willy
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Anchor Mod Update

Update;
My last mod to my Manson Supreme resulted in what I called the "Hogback Supreme". It set and worked fine on our 7-9 day trip to the South Sound. But it was a slow setter. I reasoned the slightly high CG was responsible and would eventually result in not setting at all. The mod was a bit odd looking and I decided to nix it and try something much different. See the #1 pic of the old Hogback.

My next creation is my new Supreme stinger. Notice I cut off all the metal above the trip slot thereby removing it along w considerable weight .. all of it high. Steve G (Panoope) did the same thing. I thought of it before but thought the shank would be rendered too weak. But Steve's anchor seemed to be plenty strong enough. So I made the cut.
With nothing but a better CG the anchor would probably get upside down at some time. Taking a que from a kayak anchor design and morphing it into something quite different that would keep the anchor right side up, cause far less trouble from drag, and add very very little weight I came up w this stinger concept. Because of the angle of the stinger it should roll the anchor over if upside down. May not work at extremely long scope but I don't favor that anyway. Now the Supreme weighs 12lbs. Originally it weighed 18lbs and no reduction in fluke area has been made.

So now I've got two anchors to test.
Want to drill holes in both but I'm going to put holes in the Supreme only right away. I'm quite sure the Claw will turn out to be a mud scoop and the Supreme does at least a bit of that . So I want to get an idea how much mud the Claw scoops up before I drill any holes in it. Since I don't have a drill press the holes in the Claw will be more challenging. It's thicker. I could be wrong as the Claw is made out of metal probably not as strong as the Manson.

To be continued ...
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF2090 copy 2.jpg   DSCF2561 copy.jpg   DSCF2562 copy.jpg  

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote