Old 01-25-2018, 02:51 PM   #5
LarryM
Guru

City: League City, TX
Vessel Name: Pelago
Vessel Model: Wellcraft 3300 Coastal
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLETF View Post
A marine surveyor has recommended that the raw water intake hose and clamps be replaced. He has recommended constant-torque SS hose clamps. The current clamps are the worm-gear SS type but not constant-torque. I am interested in TF members opinions about the type of hose clamp issue.
Thanks.
I recently replaced every hose and clamp on my boat. I used Breeze CT XXX L SS 5/8" 304 SS Band clamps on all engine water and turbo hoses. I used Shields T-Bolt 316 SS clamps (double-clamped) on the exhaust hoses. Finally, I used ABA SS Rolled Edge clamps everywhere else, on the smaller fuel lines, coolant recovery hoses, sanitation and water system, and double-clamped where indicated. Overkill, perhaps, but I am more confident and that's what's important to me.

The Breeze CT clamps were OE on my Cummins 6BTA's, so that's what I replaced them with. Their spring mechanism allows them to increase or decrease their diameter with changes in temperature. They have an inner liner that protects hoses from damage and helps maintain a constant sealing pressure. Finally, they have a "Torque Check" visual indicator of tightness. They are not cheap, but they are IMO the best you can buy.

I think I should have them all paid for by sometime next year