Thread: Creepy Crawlies
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2018, 11:17 PM   #10
Wayfarer
Guru

City: Oneida Lake, NY
Vessel Name: Sylphide
Vessel Model: Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom
The typical boat spider, in my experience, is the brownish/grayish speckled ones, no bigger than a quarter. The ships I work on will be covered with the damned things in the summer time. All of the smaller boats I've grown up with or owned have had them. I've spent so much time with them, that they really don't bother me at all any more.

I've adopted the same policy as Ted. They can hang out wherever they want, as long as it's not my room. I'll walk by 10 spiders on deck, but anyone I see within 15 feet of my bed, isn't going to make it. Likewise if they try to get too friendly and walk on me, or drop in from above and surprise me. Splattsville, population you.

I guess I'm more concerned with anything... bigger than that. The ones the size of a mouse that laugh when you step on them.

I can remember the day I became terrified of big hairy devil spiders. I was a little kid, maybe five years old. We were living in Florida at the time. I got up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom. I reached up, flicked on the light, and there it was, about 4 inches from the switch. A creature straight from the depths of hell. It was black, furry, bigger than my hand, and i'm pretty sure it's eyes were glowing red. Then I realized that there were about three more in the room with me. One had a knife. I screamed bloody murder.

I've even asked my mother recently If I'd dreamed that, or if my memory had exaggerated it over time. She said no. I'm not sure if I find that reassuring or not.