View Single Post
Old 01-24-2018, 06:21 PM   #8
twistedtree
Guru

City: Vermont
I'll chime in in favor of CE. Nobletec and MaxSea are now one in the same, and I used MaxSea a few years ago for about a year and never warmed to it. Despite the 'Time Zero" moniker, it was painfully slow, too forever to boot up, and was very inflexible interfacing to 3rd part hardware. After switching the CE, I never looked back. I'm sure MaxSea has improved, and it's the only thing that can display Furuno radar and fish finder images.

CE is fast, easy to use, and does an outstanding job of interfacing to 3rd party hardware, and especially good with their Nemo interface. One thing that CE does better than anything else I've seen is intelligently support multiple instruments. I have a sat compass (position and heading), another GPS, a magnetic heading sensor, two depth sounders, an AIS transponder, two radars, and an autopilot, all interfaced to CE. You can tell it which sensors are primary and which are secondary. In fact you can rank an arbitrary number of each device type, and it will automatically use the highest priority device, and drop down if that one fails. It works equally well with 0183 and NMEA 2000, which can't be said for many products. And you get all that for under $400.