Music favs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Greetings,
Sorry if I've posted this before. Not necessarily the tune, although it is catchy, but the "instrument".

You had or someone did. As a come back here is a fine grouping of "Our" age (Ancient) Country boys.

Al-Ketchikan

Moonstruck- Heard of this fellow-Buddy Greene?

Greetings,

ATTENTION: The senior crowd, who shall remain nameless, need not skip over the following. Some of the "Originals" go back to the 1870's so you should feel right at home...

Mr. Moon. GREAT BALLS OF FIRE!!!! Thanks for starting the thread, way back when...LOT'S of interesting tunes. On the other hand I'm sure everyone can find one that just doesn't appeal on any level.

I stumbled upon the following during a U-Tube marathon. It generated thoughts ranging from: Yup, I know who did the originals through...WHAT!!! I would have never guessed reactions, to HOLY COWS!

Last edited:
I had never heard of JJ Cale before this was on the radio today, not much in the way of lyrics, but, I enjoyed it.

About 135 into the above video shows the Aladdin theater marquis, it mentions Keola Beamer, here is one of my favorites by Keola and brother Kapono Beamer

Steve, great postings. I believe this number by JJ Cale appeared earlier in the thread.

Here's a couple of more by JJ Cale.

Last edited:
Last attempt to excite an interest in Incognito, with this 1975 Boz Scaggs "Lowdown" song cover by Incognito, lead vocal from Mario Biondi chosen from the surfeit of talent available to the band. Female lead is not named, is it Chaka Khan? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHnsBZ_kL0I

Last edited:
Greetings...NOT Chaka Khan. It's Vanessa Haynes. (I looked it up)
Vanessa Haynes biography
Thanks RTF. Glad you noticed. So much Incognito on youtube, though I have a good CD collection. They came to OZ late last year but we were away. Maybe next time, or maybe the Java Jazz Festival in Jakarta Indonesia, next year.

Last attempt to excite an interest in Incognito, with this 1975 Boz Scaggs "Lowdown" song cover by Incognito, lead vocal from Mario Biondi chosen from the surfeit of talent available to the band. Female lead is not named, is it Chaka Khan?

Bruce I think we had Boz Scaggs singing his Low Down earlier in the thread. It was with the Dukes of September.

Where to get older/rare CDs?

Bruce I think we had Boz Scaggs singing his Low Down earlier in the thread. It was with the Dukes of September.
Thanks Don. I remember the Boz Scaggs version, the original, very laid back in style.
Lately I`ve been buying CDs online from Ebay. Older and newer works by an artist are easy to search and find, and often remarkably cheap. I`ve found things I wanted in USA, UK,Germany, and locally. A set of 4 Bill Evans CDs in a pack, with a biography, brand new, cost around $20 AU from the US incl freight. Who knew Bill Evans had an interest in serious classical music, I long suspected it, the bio confirms it.
If there is something posted on this thread you`d like to acquire, search for it. You may be surprised how readily and reasonably it is available. For me it started with wanting to find some out of print Yutaka (Japanese muso living in USA doing Brazilian music!),they were inevitably 2nd hand, and went from there. So much music is online and downloadable these days,but finding the music you like and having it at your fingertips on CD still has it joys.

Neil Diamond Unwell,Cancels Tour

Neil Diamond cancelled his tour to Australia following a diagnosis of Parkinson's Disease. He may have ceased performing for all time, but let`s hope not. A great and talented contributor to music for many years.

Last attempt to excite an interest in Incognito, with this 1975 Boz Scaggs "Lowdown" song cover by Incognito, lead vocal from Mario Biondi chosen from the surfeit of talent available to the band. Female lead is not named, is it Chaka Khan?

Really tight, smooth sound, Bruce. I’d not heard them before. I like bands that fuse brass with pop/rock. The first big concert I ever saw was Chicago Transit Authority in early 1971, a pioneer rock band with a horn section. I remember walking to the concert at Kutztown State College in PA and hearing through an open window guitarist Terry Kath practicing that iconic opening to 25 or 6 to 4. I knew then that someday I’d try to learn some guitar.

This is a much rawer sound than Inconito, but still a favorite of mine.

Neil Diamond cancelled his tour to Australia following a diagnosis of Parkinson's Disease. He may have ceased performing for all time, but let`s hope not. A great and talented contributor to music for many years.

Really sad. I know it affects people differently. I hope he remains at least as functional as Michael J Fox.

https://youtu.be/Xm9tKoudTVE

Angus, I did enjoy Chicago Transit. Great brass section, timeless big band style music. Rather than finding it I posted it earlier I`ll post the Java Jazz Festival version of Incognito`s Nights Over Egypt. The live version is much better than the CD one.
Someone else who deserves recognition here is Quincy Jones. Veteran US musician, one time Orchestra leader and music arranger for Frank Sinatra, whose music would be equally at home in an Afro American Jook Joint, in fact he made an album under that name. Still alive as far as I know, he must be quite old.I`ll see what I can find.

Thanks Angus, great music from Chicago Transit.
Here`s a Quincy Jones composition I found, I have the record somewhere too. He deserves mention on the thread, over 80 now, worked in so many spheres of music. Amazing artists incl Barry White, verges on sexy, as you`d expect with Barry White performing.

Tragic for the folks, such as ourselves, who have and would again, attend a live show of Neil Diamond. What a dynamic entertainer, non-stop shows. Our favorite for ever man of music. That he has been diagnosed with Parkinson's will resonate with my wife, who too recently has been diagnosed with this damn disease. We shall share the adventure to the eventual end. Perhaps the best prognosis is that both at their ages, will pass WITH Parkinson's, not because.

Prayers-

Al Johnson-Ketchikan

Al,

I’m sorry you and your wife have to experience that. I wish you both the best. As you say, many of us will live long lives with problems our parents would not have gotten far with.

Bruce, thanks for those. Deep talent on both those stages. I also like to see multiracial bands like Incognito perform. Brings out the best in everybody.

No secret here, I suppose, that I’m a classic rock fan. Badfinger was all over the radio back in the day—until they weren’t; and then they became one of the most tragic stories in music. They had a Beatle-esque sound and some amazing high harmony from the bass player. This was always a favorite (and you might recognize the guy introducing them).

Angus, Badfinger is new to me, but from the mullet haircut,they have been around. I don`t mind some AC/DC, I heard one of their tracks today where the guitar lifts hard through several levels in an instant, can`t describe it well, three hard sharp "twangs" each higher than the one before, quite a hot riff, and though I`ve heard the track before it wasn`t back announced and I can`t name it. The Young family had 2 members in AC/DC,one died recently of dementia and one not in that band but in the Easybeats before it collapsed died too.
Hard to assign a genre to Incognito, the default is acid jazz which doesn`t sound good, but R&B,or soul, get close. The "black" voices add another layer, Jean-Paul Maunick(aka Bluey) who ? leads, is Mauritian born. Colored Mauritians are referred to by the French as "pied noir" which translates to black foot. Maxwell (USA) and Jamiroquai(UK)are similar performers.

So, here is an early Jamiroquai song "Canned Heat". Rock aficionados and guitar buffs should like it. English band,still going 20 years on. Lots of it on youtube,unfortunately not a live performance clip,but the music is there. The lead singer calls himself JK.

Another early Jamiroquai track "Cosmic Girl". It`s an animated clip too, but should appeal to auto enthusiasts as well as rockers and guitarists. Even the words are fun, worth listening.

Greetings,
Mr. 99. EGAD!!! I haven't seen a Coral electric sitar in 40 years! (Post#621...2 sitars, no less) Thanks. Yup, Badfinger was an Apple band (Beatles label).
Speaking of "historical" events, I stumbled across this:

Compare the 1969 version the 2007 one. Winwood and Clapton

More polished perhaps but....memories...

Great stuff RTF. Almost sounds like Michael McDonald(Doobies)had a hand in both arrangements.

hear from one of the early rockers that needs no introduction.

A couple of the masters

Angus, on Chicago......always a great favorite of mine with the great horn section and arrangements. A friend saw them recently, I think at Red Rocks near Denver. He was knocked out how tight they were and true to their original form. Maybe they will come up to the PNW sometime (?)

Back
Top Bottom