4-236 perkins sea pump for a bowman heat exchanger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pete

Hi All, I recently purchased a Norman R Wright cruiser (pictured) in need of some work but basically a very sound hull. The engine is a 4-236 perkins with a bowman heat exchanger, the sea pump for the heat exchanger*is missing does anyone have knowledge on possible part numbers or pictures as i am keen to replace while the dollar is up there, any help appreciated, thanks Pete

Pete:
Contact Sheri Moon at Trans Atlantic Diesel, email and phone numbers below. You need to have the serial number of the engine before you call her. I usually send a picture of the part I want to replace.
Mike
Baton Rouge

www.tad123.com
(T) 804-642-9296
(F) 804-642-0340

Just a warning, but TAD might charge you an arm and a leg for a H/E for an old Perkins, IF they use a Perkins part.*

I had a guy fabricate new H/E for two Perkins 6.354s for about 25% of the cost of the "real" Perkins parts.

TAD is a good source for parts for Perkins though so don't throw that number away.* For water pumps and such there are also other sources and Perkins.com will point you that way.

Good luck.

Pete,
I am in Mooloolaba just up the road.
I would contact Dicon Engineering in Brisbane as they do a lot of Perkind marinisations and conversions and will give you good advice.

The jabsco sea water pump is the same for all 4.236 marine engines regardless of which manifold / heat exchanger is used. The shafts on these pit badly where the seals ride so I'd suggest a commercially rebuilt pump over a used one. New shafts are expensive. We sometimes have to disassemble several used pumps to get enough parts to make one good pump and then put a rebuild kit in it (seals gaskets cover cam impeller etc). In addition to bad shafts, housings and bearings often need to be replaced. Last year I bought a new pump for my personal westerbeke because it needed a new shaft which was nearly as much as the complete pump. Hope this helps.

Don't know what part of the country you are in but I deal with Richard Kuhn at Hercules Engine Components, in Massillon, Ohio He's an excellent resource for Perkins parts. Be sure to have model and serial numbers available when you call.
800-345-0662
Not affiliated ,etc.

Back
Top Bottom