Cleaning Tank Watch Sensors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
FlyWright wrote:
I know you're kidding...there's nothing not to like on your boat, except for losing your FB on that low bridge. Other than that, it's great.
*I'll second all that.

Dumb question: do I unscrew each probe, unscrew the larger white ring, or remove the larger black ring that holds the entire assembly? Pls see attached pic. Thanks in advance...

Attachments

• 3FC3017E-0B70-4EDD-AB12-92ED620C67B7.jpg
    3FC3017E-0B70-4EDD-AB12-92ED620C67B7.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 37
Dumb question: do I unscrew each probe, unscrew the larger white ring, or remove the larger black ring that holds the entire assembly? Pls see attached pic. Thanks in advance...

No need to unscrew each probe. They are mounted into the top white circular disc. Unscrew the large white disc with the castellations on it. It will unscrew out of the black flange.

One thing we did was buy a complete replacement sensor unit. Every 2nd or 3rd pumpout, we swap the sensors. That way the alternate one can be cleaned separately and then stowed for next time (we made a PVC stowage tube). I did a project writeup here: Holding Tank Sensor Maintenance

Replacing the senders with a sender that attaches to outside of the tank would cost less than a "spare" Tankwatch sending unit...It'll work with the existing wiring and I'm pretty sure it'll also work with the same readout panel, so the sender is the only part you should need. Best of all, you'll never have to clean senders again! Check out the SCAD systems Scad Tank Monitors

--Btw...y'all DO realize that you've just resurrected a 9 yr old thread?

--Peggie

Replacing the senders with a sender that attaches to outside of the tank would cost less than a "spare" Tankwatch sending unit...It'll work with the existing wiring and I'm pretty sure it'll also work with the same readout panel, so the sender is the only part you should need. Best of all, you'll never have to clean senders again! Check out the SCAD systems Scad Tank Monitors

--Btw...y'all DO realize that you've just resurrected a 9 yr old thread?

--Peggie

Wouldn't work with our built-in tanks - 3/4" ply covered with fiberglass.

Just trying to help answering a question......

As long as you have enough slack in the wiring and hoses so that they can turn as you unscrew the white ring. I just did mine a few weeks ago and it wasn’t too bad as far as working on the holding tank goes...

As long as you have enough slack in the wiring and hoses so that they can turn as you unscrew the white ring. I just did mine a few weeks ago and it wasn’t too bad as far as working on the holding tank goes...

I cut the wires and put in a four-conductor quick connector to make the swap easier.

I cut the wires and put in a four-conductor quick connector to make the swap easier.

That would work. I haven’t had to clean my sensors yet in 5 years but I had to get a tube out of the tank that fell in. I opened the access port so I could get the tube out.

To clean holding tank sensors, I use uncloric acid.

Take sensor out, stick in a tall bucket or capped PVC tube, fill with uncloric acid, let sit overnight, shaking occasionally.

Also use uncloric acid to clean toilet, pumps, pipes and hoses.

They sell for around $5 to $9 per jar which makes 1 gallon

Marine Sanitation sells it by the jar.

The non contact tank monitors like Profile and SCAD work much better than in tank sensors and no cleaning required.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom