Color choices on hull cabin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mattie69

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Spirit
Vessel Make
Lien hwa
Hi
I am thinking about painting this boat with some colors , I am thinking grey on the hull and bollocks, white on the cabin,wings ,lower half of eyebrow and flybridge sole and sides, grey on upper half of eyebrow ,radar arch , and doing a the bridge hardtop( I want to add) in charcoal grey.....mast ,radar dome in white....do you think it’s to bold For an old trawler, ...it can be reversed white hull white ,grey cabin sides .( either way I think the wings need to stay white)..keep the charcoal black hard top.... I really like the color schemes on the Bering yachts ,but the colors might not work on the lines of an old trawler? .....any thoughts would be great
Matt

Attachments

• 65B906F8-C361-470D-B3A9-6508EE583EB1.jpeg
    65B906F8-C361-470D-B3A9-6508EE583EB1.jpeg
    39.1 KB · Views: 111
  • 9B1E51F2-527D-43DC-8447-6611D52CDABD.jpg
    9B1E51F2-527D-43DC-8447-6611D52CDABD.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 102
Hi Matt! I’m really not liking the battleship grey, but I can see where you are going with this.

I like the idea of how you want to paint it, just not the color. How about a steel blue instead of the gray?

Hi Matt! I’m really not liking the battleship grey, but I can see where you are going with this.

I like the idea of how you want to paint it, just not the color. How about a steel blue instead of the gray?

Nice idea Donna.

At first I was thinking blue, but blue kinda fights with the different blues of the water and there is a lot of blue boats out there, then I thought about a taupe but it fights with the teak ,grey and teak look good together , but without the sharp lines of these modern trawlers like the Bering yachts you might be right it will look like a battle ship, I want to do something bold ,it is defineatley safer to paint the cabin sides a color and keep the hull white, still have a couple months to decide , thank you for the input

Was next to a Bering yacht at Mackinac Island this summer. It may be my imagination, but that color showed every last scratch and imperfection. This is probably true of most darker colors on boat hulls. The other thought is that while this may be in style to some degree now, when it goes out....well think polyester day glow pants from the '70s (disco era).

Ted

I’d just buck up and paint her white with posibly a wide bootstripe of med-light yellow w a blue border. Then a blue stripe (or pannel) to match the blue canvas just below the gunnel. What 6, 7 or so inches wide down to the existing stripe or hull break line I see in the pic. She’s got a powerful straight sheer and lots of proud length to show off. Keep the cabin/house and FB white or very light as a light color looks light too. Makes for a better looking boat balance wise.

Wifey B: Brighten it up. Play with it. White and mix in some pizzazz. Boats are for fun. Have fun with the color. What color is the favorite of you and your wife? I'm with Donna on blue but if yours is green or yellow or red, incorporate some in it. The brighter the color, the less of it you need. :)

Mattie, choosing the color is entirely personal and if you're having the boat professionally painted then it will be extremely expensive - so you you need to be 100% self-confident on your decision. See if you can get a high resolution photo of the boat, download Gimp onto your Mac or Windows computer, and then paint it to your heart's content.

If I may also share my personal opinion... white is the last color I would ever paint my boat - unless your only concern is resale value.

Grey is stealth color. Find that not useful in most boating situations. White can be stealthy too in fog and heavy whitecaps at a distance. Believe in the advantage of multiple, contrasting colors. I delegate grey to the decks. Selected green, white, and yellow for my primary colors for greater non-stealthiness. Other colors can work too.

Mattie, choosing the color is entirely personal and if you're having the boat professionally painted then it will be extremely expensive - so you you need to be 100% self-confident on your decision. See if you can get a high resolution photo of the boat, download Gimp onto your Mac or Windows computer, and then paint it to your heart's content.

If I may also share my personal opinion... white is the last color I would ever paint my boat - unless your only concern is resale value.

Wifey B: Have someone photoshop your boat in the color you're thinking of. Don't go in blind. ;)

I had some dry rot repaired in the overhangs, eyebrows and bollocks so I have to paint them , the cabin and hull paint is actually really nice and probably 5-7 years old the bollocks and eyebrow are faired nice now and should look like the hull after being painted, as many of you know painting hull is really the easiest part of painting a boat and usually when you paint the upper half then old hull paint looks crappy ang aged, i was considering actually wrapping the cabin and inside bollocks with the same stuff they wrap cars with if I decide to put a color on the cabin and paint the hull white again, I was at a car show a couple months ago and a women had her Range Rover wrapped in black velvet , she said she has been to the snow and thru th car wash several times so I guess any thing is possible ? ...wonder how a black velvet trawler would go over at a boat show?

Grey is stealth color. Find that not useful in most boating situations. White can be stealthy too in fog and heavy whitecaps at a distance. Believe in the advantage of multiple, contrasting colors. I delegate grey to the decks. Selected green, white, and yellow for my primary colors for greater non-stealthiness. Other colors can work too.

Thanks I never thought about that aspect of of it, I guess that’s why navy ships are grey

Thank you actually , I do have someone putting together a 3D model on a computer for me so we can play with colors and possible transom modifications ,thinking about building an aluminum cap and covering the center transom door and adding a port and starboard door,along with extending my aftdeck hardtop...I agree life is to short to not put some color on it if you have to paint it ...

Attachments

• 2A285DA6-65AF-4D59-BBAE-EEE5FF8EB298.jpg
    2A285DA6-65AF-4D59-BBAE-EEE5FF8EB298.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 69
  • D963DF88-7AB4-4F17-BC31-994168BE1641.jpg
    D963DF88-7AB4-4F17-BC31-994168BE1641.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 67
  • CCAAC1DF-3B20-47BD-8CBD-B513C95C1FFA.jpg
    CCAAC1DF-3B20-47BD-8CBD-B513C95C1FFA.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 61
  • C9849619-0C95-42D2-B01E-C169A2A2B81E.jpg
    C9849619-0C95-42D2-B01E-C169A2A2B81E.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 59
  • 67A8CBD0-6C7C-4650-AFB4-8B34867E1F80.jpg
    67A8CBD0-6C7C-4650-AFB4-8B34867E1F80.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 59
Green hull, white cabin with a yellow roof and (if possible red sails and a very easily readable name in bold italics) :rofl:

Yeah! :thumb::thumb: I was blessed to be able to select my boat's color scheme.

Last edited:
Nice 3-D hand sketches Mattie. Translate those into a computer file and Bob's your uncle!

BTW, what in the world is a "bullock?" or do you mean "bulwark?"

The word I saw was "bollocks" and I was wondering if this was an Americanism with a naval meaning which I'm not familiar with as opposed to one of the most commonly used words in my native Ireland.

If you have an ipad or other tablet, take a photo and get one of the painting apps that let you try the paints on a "wall" and see how it looks. We know you won't be using sherwin williams paints but quite a few paint companies offer free apps to let you see what it would look like before you jump in with both feet.

Purely personal. No right or wrong. It's your boat.

Me? No haze grey on my boat - spent too many years looking at it. Likewise, peasoup green on the interior.

I did what stubones suggested. Not perfect, but it gives you a sense of what might be. And, if you find a color(s) you like, the retail color code is readily transferable to whatever you're spraying.

Nice 3-D hand sketches Mattie. Translate those into a computer file and Bob's your uncle!

It should bulwark,I don’t know why I keep calling bullocks

We are painting our new to us Ocean Alexander, just bit the bullet. The hull is Stars and Stripes blue below the rub rail with a grey boot. The house will be painted the original color, an off white, don't know the exact color. Cay Marine in Miami is doing it, good people.

I like it. No white boot stripe - outside the box. Post some photos when done.

We are painting our new to us Ocean Alexander, just bit the bullet. The hull is Stars and Stripes blue below the rub rail with a grey boot. The house will be painted the original color, an off white, don't know the exact color. Cay Marine in Miami is doing it, good people.

Wow, I would like to see pictures when your finished

So did you decide on a color scheme yet?

I am still thinking about it, leaning more towards painting the hull and bollocks white and the cabin a color , and a big strip at the top of the hull, splitting the eyesbrow with white and a color ,, maybe doing the hardtop in black...heading to the Seattle boat show this week end maybe I’ll get some new ideas, I am considering using a wrap on the cabin sides and getting some pricing on it, it will give the opportunity to remove if I don’t like it or safer for resale

Does anybody suggest a person or company that can put my boat on 3D and do some color schemes and tweaks on modifications the hard top lengths and radar placrement etc.

sbu22 wrote;
“Purely personal. No right or wrong. It's your boat”

Only true to a certian extent.
Dark and light colors can have a significant effect on visual function.
Dark appears heavy. So you can give your boat better balance painting the hull dark and all above light.
You can draw attention to specific parts of the boat w color or/and lightness or darkness. A bright orange hull will not be missed. Think Coast Guard orange stripe. Masts can be painted black or white or medium grey to show up or not. Perhaps grey railings will tend to visually hide them. Good IMO. Long straight lines amplify length and emphasizing them makes the boat or cabin look longer.

Lots of ways to use color or it’s brightness/darkness to have the visual effect you want to achieve.

Dark and light colors can have a significant effect on visual function.
Dark appears heavy. So you can give your boat better balance painting the hull dark and all above light.
You can draw attention to specific parts of the boat w color or/and lightness or darkness. A bright orange hull will not be missed. Think Coast Guard orange stripe. Masts can be painted black or white or medium grey to show up or not. Perhaps grey railings will tend to visually hide them. Good IMO. Long straight lines amplify length and emphasizing them makes the boat or cabin look longer.

Lots of ways to use color or it’s brightness/darkness to have the visual effect you want to achieve.

Agree with Eric. My research into "color psychology" as it pertains to potentially painting our vessel indicates that we need a darker hull, lighter superstructure.
That's because our boat can appear "top heavy" with the wrong color combination. Mattie, your boat is less likely to suffer from that particular illusion as you have the solid bulwarks up to the railing around the superstructure. But you're definitely on the right path.

Currently, our boat's paint scheme doesn't have two substantially different colors, but the saturation and hue levels are different enough that it makes the hull look smaller/shorter. If we could do it tomorrow, we'd paint the hull a flag blue, and we've already started painting the upper deck/flybridge the greyer or more taupe version of Grand Banks Beige, as opposed to the more pink/orange version we have now.

Attachments

• TravelerCURRENT.jpg
    TravelerCURRENT.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 93
  • TravelerBLUE.jpg
    TravelerBLUE.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 71

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom