Steering issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Speedy Charlotte
Vessel Make
Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Just curious if anyone knows what might have happened. I just got my autopilot pump replaced and they also replaced the steering fluid and bled the system.

When I got to the boat yesterday and went to leave the dock, the steering wheel at the lower helm wouldn't turn. I used some force and it turned a bit with some lumpy resistance. Then a little more, still with quite a bit of resistance. Then all of a sudden it loosened up and acted normal for the rest of the day.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mike

Just curious if anyone knows what might have happened. I just got my autopilot pump replaced and they also replaced the steering fluid and bled the system.

When I got to the boat yesterday and went to leave the dock, the steering wheel at the lower helm wouldn't turn. I used some force and it turned a bit with some lumpy resistance. Then a little more, still with quite a bit of resistance. Then all of a sudden it loosened up and acted normal for the rest of the day.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mike

Time to get the tech back out. You paid him to do the job right.

Time to get the tech back out. You paid him to do the job right.

Yes, of course, already sent an email. Just wondering if anyone here has experienced such a thing, and if so, what it turned out to be.

Yes, of course, already sent an email. Just wondering if anyone here has experienced such a thing, and if so, what it turned out to be.

I have never experienced that. Hopefully it's just some sort of residual air lock or hydro lock from the work that was done. I think the key is whether it happens again.

Not unusual to have a bit of binding on a newly bled system or if having sat for awhile. I'm assuming the manual helm pump located at the wheel worked ok after it "released"? It may do it off and on for awhile.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mike

Mike,

Yep, it's either the steering helm or the hydraulic cylinder (at the rudder) that has failed, and most likely the helm. (unless there's something physically blocking the cylinder.

Yep, there's probably some rust or wear in the steering helm (the "hub" part behind the steering wheel that the hydraulic lines go into.) They can be rebuilt for about $350. Here's a place that does it. He's also an expert on these things and diagnose the problem: Boat Steering Solution, Tim Howard, Owner, 941-484-6060, Venice, FL.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom