Looking for odd ball washer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seevee

Guru
Vessel Make
430 Mainship
All,

Looking for an oddball washer and screw. Used for holding on the windshield on the flybridge.

Washes rubber, and is "hat" shaped, with the narrow part goes into a hole on the boat, and the flange part on the outside, so when screwed in it's waterproof.

There's a finishing washer on the head of the washer. (I have plenty of them)

The screw is a No. 10 oval head (that, I can easily find)

Anyone know where to get this washer.

Attachments

• Washer Screw.jpg
    Washer Screw.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 112
Rubber Grommet washer, looks like the same used on some cars. Autozone (or equivalent) may have something, especially if you can bring in the old washer. May even find them in the loose screw/nut drawers at Home Depot or Lowes

I found this on ebay as well

Should be able to reuse the metal hat as well.

If you can't find that exact washer, it looks a lot like someone tool a standard rubber grommet (used for feeding wires through a hole in a metal chassis) and cut one end off.

I would send you to Radio Shack but it's been gone for a few years. Look in the electrical section at a home center or a hardware store. Or an electronics store if you can finds one.

Well, it's a bit harder to find than I thought.....
Tried McMaster, Grainger, Home Depot, Ace, and a few others. Close, but not yet.

I probably could take a standard grommet and cut the edge off on one side. Might try that, and stock a bunch of them.

But thx for the ideas.

I’ve used a similar washer / insert to mount mirrors and exhaust stack brackets on trucks. I bought them from Lawson a hardware supplier. I still have a bunch somewhere the brass insert I think was for 1/4 x 20 threads.

The ones with the treaded inserts are called well nuts. They are used to stick into an oversized hole that you can’t get a nut on the backside.

They hold the windshield onto my motorcycle fairing. KAWASAKI .

could you just use 2 seperate washers with the same inside diameter and different outside diameters ? One for the "hat" and one for the "brim" ?

Wind butyl tape around the threads enough to fill the cap once installed, pull off excess around outside of trim washer.

Wind butyl tape around the threads enough to fill the cap once installed, pull off excess around outside of trim washer.

Probably the best choice... thx.

Do I have to address the elephant in the room? You need an oddball washer.. not an odd ball washer... :) THIS is an odd ball washer:

I've bought similar washers from a glass supplier for mounting mirrors. They were sold with "mirror screws".

My rule of thumb for hardware. If I can't find it at McMaster Carr, then engineer for something else. Cause it's just going to be worse next time. Besides, if McMaster does not have it, good chance it no longer exists. Just a rule of thumb.

I found some at West Marine, Kemah,TX. I don't recall what their name is. I will look next time I am at the boat, I think I still have some remaining.

Here is pic of what I have. 10-24 machine screw thread, about 3/16" long at the bottom.

Attachments

• 20180131_172006.jpg
    20180131_172006.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 47
Back
Top Bottom