Roughwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
@Awaken. Good question! Where are you thinking of doing this and what size and weight of TV?

Tv installation from the ceiling.

Not sure I am doing this right. We just purchased a 1983 41 ft. Roughwater in Anacortes. Would like to open a discussion. We are about to hang a tv from the ceiling and wonder about a few things up there.
awaken; we wish to install our 32" Samsung,29"x17"x3", 8.3lbs. tv on the ceiling with a fold down bracket all the way forward in the saloon at the center windshield. Is there any substantial meat (good wood) under the woods strips of the ceiling? If so, how long of lag bolts can we use?

Hummm...what about through drilling and dropping in rounded head carriage bolts from outside in and nut down on the inside. Flat head would also work. Or sex nuts mounted flair on outside, screw into from inside out, grinding excess length off then (both cases) sealing and refinishing. This is a light load so small stuff will do fine, I suspect #10 or 12 would be OK.

Congrats on an excellent choice...BTW, ch your transmission and engine oil coolers. Easily overlooked on maintance. 8.2 Detroit?

Last edited:
Coming in from the outside is definitely an option, but it's going to put a hole for possible water ingress, into your roof. If you have the same style headliner as I do, removing one or two of the teak slats will allow you to drop down the white panelling.

Be careful when removing the panel (or panels) as they are quite thin and can be brittle after so many years and finding a replacement is a chore.

This will expose the wire chases and ceiling space. The "attic," so to speak.

You should then have sufficient space to mount a backer board or two using liquid nails or glassing them in or similar. You could then mount directly to those or drop the carriage bolts through from the outside while still keeping a good seal and keeping the roof rigid. If you don't want to drill from the outside, build a frame and then mount a sheet of plywood to it so that there is a hollow space underneath it.

Now, get a thin steel plate (another bit of plywood will do if you don't expect to ever mount a larger TV) about 2-3" wider and longer than your mounting brackets. Drill through the plate and plywood and mount your bolts so that the bolt hangs through the bottom, ready to accept your bracket and nuts.

You may also wish to drill a larger hole for the wires coming from your TV, to make use of the wire chase space under the headliner panels.

Last step would be to carefully drill holes in the headliner and fit everything together.

Hope this helps!

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. Ah, Mr. Mule. Mr./Ms. A is a newbie. Best, perhaps, not suggest "sex nuts" (YOUR post #63) until he/she gets a few more posts under their belt...

nonono.gif

To hang the tv I screwed epoxy a 1/2 board, stained treak red and varnished. The scews are only to hold the board until epoxy drird. I bought brass hollow tubing at Lowe's or lamp plus to hide the wirer. When rewiring and install the pilot house which requied bigger tubing, I used brass hand rails that I cut in half. For new ceiling lights i bought 1/2 round and routed out the center. So all the wire is external to the ceiling walls that are covered. That way no noticeable holes or damage done. :thumb:

Not sure I am doing this right. We just purchased a 1983 41 ft. Roughwater in Anacortes. Would like to open a discussion. We are about to hang a tv from the ceiling and wonder about a few things up there.

Welcome! Join the Yahoo Roughwater Group, you will get a reply.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RoughwaterBoats/conversations/messages

Right now there are 3 RW 35’s in the Boat Haven yard in Port Townsend. And one in the marina there. The Promise is getting her shaft log replaced. $$$ and bottom done. Some minor jobs too.

Hull of shame & other work

Welcome! Join the Yahoo Roughwater Group, you will get a reply.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RoughwaterBoats/conversations/messages

Right now there are 3 RW 35’s in the Boat Haven yard in Port Townsend. And one in the marina there. The Promise is getting her shaft log replaced. $$$ and bottom done. Some minor jobs too.

Pic of the bronze that came out of the hull, and pic of the new davit project. Having custom brackets made for the Weller arms:

Attachments

• 3AF514E9-4F67-46FE-8625-6F5826392997.jpg
    3AF514E9-4F67-46FE-8625-6F5826392997.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 122
  • BF28A057-EFAE-440B-AEE4-E2C2FA8DE217.jpg
    BF28A057-EFAE-440B-AEE4-E2C2FA8DE217.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 100
Davit project continues...

Pic of the bronze that came out of the hull, and pic of the new davit project. Having custom brackets made for the Weller arms:

Davits back from the powder coat. Fitting and fine tuning now. And a correction, the davit arms are Bremer.

Attachments

• 9EAB528E-2FC8-4CBE-939F-590AEC6585F0.jpg
    9EAB528E-2FC8-4CBE-939F-590AEC6585F0.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 86
  • B9CC0FE8-29C4-48B4-8476-208D27FC971C.jpg
    B9CC0FE8-29C4-48B4-8476-208D27FC971C.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 79
Looking good! I like those roughwaters . I never see them around here though. Sweet boats .

Last edited:
Looking good! I like those roughwaters . I never see them around here though. Sweet boats .

Thanks Marty! RW’s were mostly sold on the west coast, they did have a dealer in Miami, so there are a very few on the east coast as well.

New boot stripe and first coat of bottom paint on. All bronze is new, just waiting on new rudder log from Buck Algonquin.

Attachments

• 6686147A-737E-4874-A11A-A426B87F49B6.jpg
    6686147A-737E-4874-A11A-A426B87F49B6.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 103
  • E6145B48-40BB-4266-9DFA-19151CF284B6.jpg
    E6145B48-40BB-4266-9DFA-19151CF284B6.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 132
The Roughwater rendezvous will take place July 22-24 at Cap Sante in Anacortes, join the Yahoo group for more details.

Dave, a friend of mine owns a Roughwater 41 in Blaine WA, "Meredith". I'll pass this along to him. I don't think he is on TF.:confused:

Dave, a friend of mine owns a Roughwater 41 in Blaine WA, "Meredith". I'll pass this along to him. I don't think he is on TF.:confused:

Thanks Ken. I’m not sure how many are here on TF. The Yahoo group is somewhat active. There are many more 41’s around than 35’s.

The Roughwater 36, Cape Star, mentioned earlier, now has a new owner and new home. I took delivery of her yesterday.

Attachments

• Roughwater36 small.jpg
    Roughwater36 small.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 97
I think there is one right across from me on the dock. Would be a 35 I guess, has a FB, good looking boat.

Sweet! Congrats!

Congratulations Tim . That’s a good looking Roughwater. I really like the dark hull.

So is this one as well?

That looks like a 36, but with a flybridge added. It doesn't have the aft cabin of the larger models (or the 35). The windows of the trunk cabin look like the 36 and don't go as far back as on the 37.

Last edited:
Back in the water...

Leaving Boat Haven

Attachments

• A9C1AE16-CD97-4E50-BAEE-1A44B1EF4F38.jpg
    A9C1AE16-CD97-4E50-BAEE-1A44B1EF4F38.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 104
Congrats on splashing, Dave! It was nice to meet you yesterday. I’ll miss walking past your boat in the yard. She’s really a beauty! Hope to run into you “out there”...

Thanks Darren,

Likewise. We are hoping to enjoy the boat while we are building our house in PT.

Dave

I am currently looking at two Roughwater 41s, both with single-turbo (non-intercooled) Detroit 8.2Ls.

Does anyone have the actual experience on what the top speed should be?
I am also looking for actual fuel burn at hull speed (~8 knots) and cruise speed (~7 knots).

I am not a fan of the 8.2L at all, and one of the boats is cheap enough to consider repowering (if the structure is still good, I haven't been aboard yet to check for rot) if/when the engine dies. Is there enough room to squeeze a Cat 3208, DD 6-71, or Cummins 5.9L under the floors?

Does anyone know which model Twin-Disc gear was used behind the 8.2Ls, and what the ratio might be?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom