Waves 55.7 feet (17meters)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
on our way to Dutch Harbor in the Aleutians in 1984 on a USCG icebreaker...we had 60 plus footers for at least a day......I think it might have been close to 3 days....

had more foot prints on the bulkheads than the decks as we rolled up to 60 degrees..... way more than I prefer... :)

pic #1 is of a weather deck some 15 to 20 feet above the waterline ( tilt computer till horizon is level..:eek:.....a wave one night broke out a window 80 feet above the waterline (see plywood patch near upper right of bridge).....pic #2.

also...the nice ice that looks like frosting on the cake.... :thumb:

60 footers in the North Pacific I would think are not common but not all that iregular.

Attachments

• Real big waves.jpg
    Real big waves.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 95
  • nt.jpg
    nt.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
on our way to Dutch Harbor in the Aleutians in 1984 on a USCG icebreaker...we had 60 plus footers for at least a day......I think it might have been close to 3 days....

had more foot prints on the bulkheads than the decks as we rolled up to 60 degrees..... way more than I prefer... :)

pic #1 is of a weather deck some 15 to 20 feet above the waterline ( tilt computer till horizon is level..:eek:.....a wave one night broke out a window 80 feet above the waterline (see plywood patch near upper right of bridge).....pic #2.

also...the nice ice that looks like frosting on the cake.... :thumb:

60 footers in the North Pacific I would think are not common but not all that iregular.
My son was on the Polar Roller Sea and experienced a similar incident between Australia and Anarctica. Man do those things roll, even at the dock.;)

Icebreaker hulls are designed after footballs...then painted red... :D

You will probably appreciate this. One year at the turn of last century the ice was so thick that both "footballs" went down. They were moored next to one another. neat shot.. And on one of those summer days from another year the ladies were out for a run.:D

Attachments

• twins.jpg
    twins.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 104
  • teddyruns.jpg
    teddyruns.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 102
if that is Mount Erebus in th the background of the first pic...there is a crashed HH52 helo on it someplace.

thus the training I got for high altitude acrtic survival in the high rocky mountains of Colorado in 1983.

I never made it to McMurdo...just a lot of time around the Peninsula just south of S. America and Palmer Station.

Attachments

• helo0.jpg
    helo0.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom