From a go-fast to a go-slow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pokey2

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Pokey
Vessel Make
Fu Hwa/New Bedford 38
download.spark
New to forum and our first Trawler. Sold our 30' Formula and bought a 38' United Oceans trawler. Yes I'm having withdrawls. Had it about 2 months now,*but I don't miss the fuel pump.

Boat is titled as a United Ocean but build sheet says Fu Hwa. Found lots of info on Fu Hwa but nothing on United Ocean. Anyone ever hear of them?

*This is a great forum, with tons of information. Most of my questions are answered without asking any.

Clay**

Because of the system used by many of the Taiwan boatyards, particularly in the 70s and 80s, where the basic hull was molded by the "parent" yard and then the boat was farmed out to a smaller, family-owned yard for completion, the lineage of many of these boats can be tough to figure out. A boat that was called Pacific Roamer when competed by the parent yard might be called a Coastal Explorer by the family yard that actually completes the boat (I made those names up).

Or the Coastal Explorer name might have been applied by the US importer/distributor of the boat. This was especially true of boats that came out of the yard with a Chinese name, like Fu Hwa. In the 70s and 80s a Chinese name on a product carried a lot more negative stigma than it does today. So some importers or distributors-- or even the Taiwanese boatyards themselves--- coined English names for the boats, names they felt would convey a better image in the US and European markets.

It's very possible that one of these possibiities is the situation with your boat. I've heard of Fu Hwa, but not of United Ocean. Pure speculation on my part here, but having spent time working in China, "United Ocean" sounds like the sort of name they would conjur up over there, as they often have a somewhat different interpretation of how the English language works than the rest of us.

My all-time favorite example of "Chinese English" is the name of a small hotel on an island in the Xiamen harbor. The name-- in English--- on the signboard over the hotel entrance reads, "Silly Girl Coffee My Home Hotel."

-- Edited by Marin on Thursday 13th of October 2011 08:34:17 PM

Welcome to the slow lane. Now you get to cuss at the go-fasts as the roar by you causing everything on board to crash to the sole as they wave and smile.

Marin wrote:

"Chinese English" is the name of a small hotel on an island in the Xiamen harbor. The name-- in English--- on the signboard over the hotel entrance reads,

"Silly Girl Coffee My Home Hotel."*
*Marin - This*IS just*in jest.... BUT.... considering*"Chinese English"! *You really think America can go to #2 - - > PLEASE!!!* LOL - Art

Clay - Please forgive me, forgot to mention in post above, got too busy*making a joke re "China Eng"

Nice looking, comfy trawler you guys*gots!* Marin knows a bunch about China and other locations!* Best O' Luck in your Boat Joys - Art

My all-time favorite video clip from our travels all over the world was shot on a beach in Xiamen the other year. We had been shooting a fellow flying a really cool kite and there were a bunch of kids (all Chinese) of various ages playing on the beach, chasing the kite and making sand castles as kids all over the world do.

At one point a young boy about six or seven years old walked up in front of our camera, looked at it for a moment, and then said to my cameraman in an absolutely perfect American accent--- we could have been on a beach in LA--- "Salutations." He then paused a moment, cocked his head a bit at my camerman and added, "Do you even know what that means?"

All kids in China today take English in school. Almost all kids in China-- particularly the cities--- can speak English pretty much as well as you or I can. When we first arrived in China the Boeing site manager told us that if we went into the city and got lost or had some other problem, find a little kid. If they can overcome their shyness, you'll be able to have a conversation with them that's no different than what you would have at home. Their parents, and maybe even their older brothers or sisters probably won't have much command of English at all, but the young kids are right at home with it.

When we'd be wandering around the city the bolder of the kids would come up to us and say "Hello," and then ask us all sorts of innane questions about where we were from, our camera and tripod, and so on. There was no trace of a Chinese accent-- they all sounded like west coast Americans. They do this because, we were told, they like to practice their English.

These kids are the ones who will be running China when we go to #2 (or #3 or....)

Welcome!* Except perhaps for Nomadwilly, I've the slowest boat here.

-- Edited by markpierce on Thursday 13th of October 2011 09:35:45 PM

Attachments

• img_1093.jpg
    img_1093.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 115
  • img_1121.jpg
    img_1121.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 84
Yea, *6.15 knots is hard to beat...........if you're hav'in fun.

I made the same transistion Going from a motion cat the ran north of a 100mph to a mph marine trader, so far it been a great time, no withdraw

Attachments

• motionunderwaygo2.jpg
    motionunderwaygo2.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 114
  • photo07261802[1]  boat at inn.jpg
    photo07261802[1] boat at inn.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 138
Thanks everyone

Marin, that make sense. Boat is a United Ocean, model New Bedford 38.* *"Chinese American" for sure.

Sounds like alot of people here have had some great journeys. Were just starting, so our tales are mostly local. Were in Wisconsin on Lake Winnebago, which is connected to Green Bay*then Lake Michigan. and of course any where from there. What sucks here is I'll have to put the boat away soon. Until April.

Motion, 100 plus with outboards*is quite an accomplishment. I have a 300 promax sitting in my garage. No boat tho.

On our first sea trial I took it out of the harbor and the owner said " If you don't pick it up a little, that sailboat is going to pass you.

Take care

Clay*

Back
Top Bottom