View Single Post
Old 01-20-2018, 12:21 AM   #12
MurrayM
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
We normally have anchorages to ourselves, but we went to Pruth Bay on BC's central coast this summer. We dropped our anchor (with 30' of chain and rope rode) so we wouldn't go past the small buoys which marked a line the research institute had put out to keep boats from anchoring too close to their docks.

Late in the evening a sailboat came and dropped its anchor (all chain rode) on the wrong side of the floats and pretty close to us. If we had an all chain rode it probably would have worked, but at about 2:00am we woke up to a knocking on our hull.

Sailboat Dude said something like, "You guys are wandering all over the place and are going to hit us."

I said something like, "Well, you're more affected by currents and we're more affected by the wind."

He said, "Do you want to pull your anchor and side tie to us?"

Instinctively my nose was put out of joint, and not knowing what he had as an anchor and in what state his rode was I said, "No thanks, we'll just shorten up our rode a bit." He shortened his as well.

Not able to sleep for a while, I got out our copy of The Complete Book of Anchoring and Mooring by Karl Hinz and leafed through it to find out what the standard practice in such situations would be.

Turns out it was the sailboaters duty to note that we had a rope rode, what the depth was, what the tides were going to do, estimate how wind and current were going to affect the both of us, then anchor a safe distance away.

Which brings us to the Hinz tip for crowded anchorages; The last one in is the first one out if boats are getting too close and are in danger of colliding.