I love buying new tools

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
FORTITUDE
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 54-8
Going to get down and dirty with my Ford Lehman's soon and wanted to test the injectors.

Love getting tools that expand my DIY capabilities.

As my Dad says "you'll never regret paying for the right tool for a job. It'll pay you back for years"

Attachments

• IMG_5400.jpg
    IMG_5400.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 124
I bought an inexpensive pop tester 2 years ago....my engine seemed to be running fine and a head job last summet confirmed it. But I wanted to check things out.
The pop tester didnt like a couple injectors so I replaced tbe whole set.

I am not sure the cheap pop testers can be trusted a 100 percent.

But better than nothing when totally in doubt.

Just curious, how many folks carry spare injectors?

If a fuel line carries away, what is the proper recommendation, let it continue to pump the fuel or make an attempt to squeeze the pressure side of the line shut?

Tonight, I spent a hour reading the news. Nothing good is happening.

Going to get down and dirty with my Ford Lehman's soon and wanted to test the injectors.

Love getting tools that expand my DIY capabilities.

As my Dad says "you'll never regret paying for the right tool for a job. It'll pay you back for years"

I'm a tool junkie, boat and home. Here's an old DYI saying that I tell my wife when I'm tool-buying and it's pretty true....If you successfully do a job yourself without hiring someone to do it, the tools are free. The operative word is 'successful'. I don't always tell her when things go completely south, but the saying mostly holds true..:D

My problem is I can’t afford a boat big enough to hold all my tools, so I have resorted to driving a mobile dock box (pickup with construction type fiberglass shell)...

My pliers and screw drivers have paid for themselves over and over.

If a fuel line carries away, what is the proper recommendation, let it continue to pump the fuel or make an attempt to squeeze the pressure side of the line shut?

I carry a complete set of injector lines after losing the number 1 injector line while off the coast of New Jersey. No it is not a good idea to squeeze the injector line closed. You'll injure the injector pump and they are way expensive.

Your choices are try to contain the squirt in a bucket or shut down and get a tow. I chose the tow. It may have been psneeld that towed me back.

Can't help you with the news.

My wife says I have never met a tool I didn’t need.

...I tell my wife when I'm tool-buying and it's pretty true....If you successfully do a job yourself without hiring someone to do it, the tools are free....
Hahaha! I take that one and run with it all the time.

Just bought a second VHF for the boat. My converted fishing boat has an aluminum bipod mast with a crossbar at the top. It wasn't long enough to accommodate two antennae with proper separation. What to do?

Off to the scrap metal place for some aluminum. Off to Hardware Sales for welding rod. Spent half a day teaching myself to weld aluminum. Hey presto! Most expensive damned bit of aluminum on any boat I've ever owned! :thumb:

I'm just going to assume that everyone else here has noticed that magnetic attraction between any hand tool, and wait for it, water:banghead:. I contributed quite a few tools to Neptune and Poseidon - but I must admit more were lost on my sailboat than on my old wood cruiser:thumb:

I've always said - and acted upon - the thought that one should buy the tool one needs to get a particular job done. That tool will inevitably be used over and over on new jobs one never had contemplated doing. That said, I've begun collecting doubles or even triples of some tools and that's not counting those that live on the boat or in the car. I maintain a couple major tools in the basement shop and duplicates in the barn. Then, I inherited some multiples from my dad's collection...

Happily for those within hearing, I very seldom - dare I tempt fate - never have dropped tools overboard. I did drop a steel tape into a concrete block core at the top of a foundation wall; very annoying to look down several feet to see it shining away and know the non-ferrous case rendered it totally unreachable.

With respect to diesel fuel lines, I spent a lovely several hours going back and forth from cookstove to engine replacing a broken fuel line with one found in a heap in the forepeak of a friend's sailboat that I was crewing on, while taking it from St Thomas to Boston. I heated the line to cherry red, unbent and rebent it bit by bit to get it to fit the Perkins.

Successfully.

I have always found that buying the tools and the parts to do a job is much easier than actually doing the job.

With respect to diesel fuel lines, I spent a lovely several hours going back and forth from cookstove to engine replacing a broken fuel line with one found in a heap in the forepeak of a friend's sailboat that I was crewing on, while taking it from St Thomas to Boston. I heated the line to cherry red, unbent and rebent it bit by bit to get it to fit the Perkins.

Successfully.
A good hint to bend copper tubing without crushing them is to fill them with soapy waterr and put them in the freezer. Soapy water will freeze but stay like slush giving a support for the tubing interior wall and prevent crushing while bending. That is the way they bend tubing for copper instruments like trumpet.

L

I've always said - and acted upon - the thought that one should buy the tool one needs to get a particular job done. That tool will inevitably be used over and over on new jobs one never had contemplated doing. That said, I've begun collecting doubles or even triples of some tools and that's not counting those that live on the boat or in the car. I maintain a couple major tools in the basement shop and duplicates in the barn. Then, I inherited some multiples from my dad's collection...

Happily for those within hearing, I very seldom - dare I tempt fate - never have dropped tools overboard. I did drop a steel tape into a concrete block core at the top of a foundation wall; very annoying to look down several feet to see it shining away and know the non-ferrous case rendered it totally unreachable.
I also have duplicates like screwdrivers, you never have too many!
Before buying a tool I always think of reuse, if it is single specific usage it may become expensive.

L

Successfully.

Would it be practical/possible to have a couple of emergency fuel lines made using high-pressure hose and appropriate fittings? We have Lehman 135s and it seems like a one-foot and two-foot hose would cover the waterfront if we had a breakdown—enough to limp back to civilization perhaps—and allow for quick change-outs. Cheaper, as well, than carrying a full set of spares.

Would it be practical/possible to have a couple of emergency fuel lines made using high-pressure hose and appropriate fittings? We have Lehman 135s and it seems like a one-foot and two-foot hose would cover the waterfront if we had a breakdown—enough to limp back to civilization perhaps—and allow for quick change-outs. Cheaper, as well, than carrying a full set of spares.

You might be able to but the difficulty is the fitting at the injectors and also where the line goes through the rubber gasket just befor the injector. That could be a challenge. We bought a spare set 6 for our FL SP135 for less than $200.

When I had my 46ft trawler, I had 3 or 4 bags of tools and 3 metal boxes for screws, organize by # and length. Downsized to a 34ft trawler, 1 bag of tools, a small tool box, one metal box for screws and various small plastic jars of mixed size and # screws. Also a compliment of wire crimp fittings and lots of wire ties.

I tell folks, I have 2 screw drivers and two different sized adjustable wrenches, 1 plier and duct tape. Now one asks to borrow my tools. I guess they feel sorry for me. LOL

You might be able to but the difficulty is the fitting at the injectors and also where the line goes through the rubber gasket just befor the injector. That could be a challenge. We bought a spare set 6 for our FL SP135 for less than $200.

Thanks, Larry. I should have priced them before I asked. That’s surprisingly reasonable.

Thanks, Larry. I should have priced them before I asked. That’s surprisingly reasonable.

Shop around, a new set of injector pipes for a 120 is goingnear $800 with shipping.

Be careful, they rust easy if stored in the bilge. Worth vacuum packing if you can.

Shop around, a new set of injector pipes for a 120 is goingnear $800 with shipping.

Be careful, they rust easy if stored in the bilge. Worth vacuum packing if you can.

Thanks, Scott. Clearly, I need to do some research. ;)

Never cap it. If the line is shot. Remove it and run the line/hose down to a clean 5gal bucket and check the level frequently. also never clean the injector tips with anything but a brass wire brush.

I wouldn't attempt it unless it's a a very dier situation. If you have a hose rated for the psi the other would need to be as close to the exact length and id of the original line as possible. Any variations would change timing dimension and could potentially damage that cylinder. If you look at your injector lines you should notice the ones closest to the pump still have the same length as the ones that are the furthest away.

Good deal...thanks Larry....

I like supporting Bomac and AM..... but sometimes they are just a bit too pricey or are out if stock.... so good to know other sources... :thumb:

I wouldn't attempt it unless it's a a very dier situation. If you have a hose rated for the psi the other would need to be as close to the exact length and id of the original line as possible. Any variations would change timing dimension and could potentially damage that cylinder. If you look at your injector lines you should notice the ones closest to the pump still have the same length as the ones that are the furthest away.

Plus...not sure how the olive fitting thing would work out in the field.

I too love buying/collecting tools But I really don't like it when I need a tool and the only ones available are the "one use" cheap kind where the open end wrench stretches or the cheap screwdriver blade twists.

Getting harder to find good tools for less than Snap-On money.

Attachments

• NorthernTool_NoShame.jpg
    NorthernTool_NoShame.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 48

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom