Show us your ER

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The continuing project.* The engine is comming together slowl but shure.* Here are some more pix.** Still have to get a piece of 1 3//4" SS tube for the coolant water line on the stbd side of the engine and need a new exhaust elbo gasket as well.* Then will be just about done with the reassembly.

Attachments

• engine.jpg
    engine.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 148
  • engine stbd side.jpg
    engine stbd side.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 156
  • engine port side.jpg
    engine port side.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 147
  • transmission.jpg
    transmission.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 145
Dang!* Nearly a work of art.* Nicely done, sir.

Re:* Calling the engines Penta:* from Wiki --

<strong class="selflink">Volvo Penta[/b] was founded in 1907 in conjunction with the production of the first marine engine, B1. The Penta company soon became an established internal combustion engine manufacturer, which in 1927 delivered the engine to Volvo's first passenger car.

Volvo acquired Penta in 1935 and Volvo Penta has been part of the Volvo Group since then. It now provides internal combustion engines (ICEs) and complete power systems to the boating industry, power-generating equipment, and similar industrial applications. The business also manufacturers sterndrive and inboard drive systems such as the Volvo Penta IPS. The engine programme comprises petroleum fuel (diesel and petrol) engines with power outputs of between 7.5 and 1,500 kilowatts (10 and 2,039 PS; 10 and 2,012 bhp).

Interesting Al. But since Volvo "acquired" Penta in 1935 and Penta is no more in existence I think I'll just call Volvo's Volvo's. I had a Volvo Car once. Looked like a 47 Ford and was very hard to steer except going straight. Otherwise was great. It got totaled.

I am getting there ..... it's not a real big ER ... but I think I can compete*
biggrin.gif
*.... it's a crawl in ER .... and the engine is painted in fast red .....
furious.gif

-- Edited by shipshape on Wednesday 25th of May 2011 04:39:51 AM

-- Edited by shipshape on Wednesday 25th of May 2011 04:41:44 AM

-- Edited by shipshape on Wednesday 25th of May 2011 04:42:36 AM

Attachments

• dsc02308.jpg
    dsc02308.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 155
  • dsc02310.jpg
    dsc02310.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 159
  • dsc02303.jpg
    dsc02303.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 161
  • dsc02309.jpg
    dsc02309.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 146
  • dsc02304.jpg
    dsc02304.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 145
Seriously, I am embarrassed to post pics of my engine room after looking at all of your alls! I was thinking when I started reading this thread that asking to see an engine room is like asking a girl to lift up her skirt but I see Keith already even did that too!

My engine room is something I wish I could spend a season working on. *I have so many ideas and plans but it is rather daunting. *What i would LOVE to do:

-relocate battery banks to a better spot so they are not blocking the outboard access to engine on both sides.

- relocate sea strainer and muffler lift for generator as they both block my ability to get to main engine from forward hatch in front stateroom.

- Paint the entire bilge.

- replace both fuel tanks with new ones.

I dream of pulling my engine completely out, ripping out the fuel tanks and removing the pointless bulkhead between the main engine and the tanks that are outboard, cleaning the bilge like crazy, painting entire bilge, relocate battery bank and everything else that is in my way to a better location, then put in nice new fuel tanks with dual racors, etc. etc. and put humpty dumpty back together again all fresh, happy, and clean. *That would be the ideal and I am seriously pondering doing just that this winter!!! *The fuel tanks are holding up but I know they have a little bit of rust spots and well, I just like things nice and orderly and clean and ready to go. *:)

Part of my lack of real estate issue in my engine room is due to the huge 8KW northern lights generator she is equipped with and her associated sound shield. *It's a heck of a great generator and powers everything without issue and nearly new (not sure of exact year of install but only had 250-260 hours on it when I bought the boat last fall) but darned if it doesn't eat up a ton of space. *If I were putting one in I'd probably only get a 5KW or something....just big enough to power the stove and the 2 HVAC units at once would be ok with me.

-- Edited by Woodsong on Wednesday 25th of May 2011 01:23:10 PM

Attachments

• dscf3037.jpg
    dscf3037.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 155
Woodsong wrote:
Seriously, I am embarrassed to post pics of my engine room after looking at all of your alls! I was thinking when I started reading this thread that asking to see an engine room is like asking a girl to lift up her skirt but I see Keith already even did that too!
*"I see London. I see Rome.* I see Woody's engine room!"*
wink.gif

Woodsong, I didn't thought you'd post on this thread until you had a chance to clean her up.* You surprised me!* Gotta love that Perkins Blue!!

I know your ER will shine when you're done.* Can't wait to see your before and after shots.

Hi Woody, You know what made me start ? *I had a leaking diesel tank ... and I thought , OK, we just need to repair, cause it was leaking in the bilge and the bilge pump would pump it out, not nice for my neighbours in the marina .... so we started, we had to take the engine out, as the diesel tanks wouldn't make it next to the engine ... then when they were out , we noticed a leak in the water tank, so out it went, we saw lots of old hoses and skin fittings, so out they went ... so we had an empty bilge ... so we started cleaning it up, and painting it .... new tanks in .... all new skin fittings, and new hoses, new water pump and new hot water ... oh well .... once you're going you might as well do the lot as the engine is out ... and this is your chance to do all .... and really taking the engine out and putting it back in wasn't the difficult job ... don't forget to paint the engine before putting it back ....

the little leak in the diesel tank was really an eye opener ....

Attachments

• dsc01877.jpg
    dsc01877.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 138
  • dsc01878.jpg
    dsc01878.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 143
LOL flywright! This thread made me realize actually I don't have any real good engine room pics. I may have to remedy that this weekend.

Erik,
your process is a bit of what I am worried about....if I start one little project down there I think it will turn into pandora's box so it's like I shouldn't start unless I am willing to go hog wild and spend mega $$$ on the engine room makeover. For now, everything functions, everything works, I can get reasonable access to everything, etc. She may need a good coat of paint in the bilge but everything works great so I find myself wondering why mess with it if it ain't broken.

Woodsong wrote:*She may need a good coat of paint in the bilge but everything works great so I find myself wondering why mess with it if it ain't broken.
********* Tony,* A little cleaning and a gallon of rustoleum white, and you will be all "madeover" for about $30.

Enjoy your Summer.** JohnP

What is your all's favorite cleaner for bilge paint prep to decrease and clean thoroughly?

When I had an exhaust leak a couple years ago, my ER was left with more black soot than I care to remember. It was everywhere!! After completing a dry cleaning with an industrial shop vac, I used an orange-based, bio-degradable degreaser/cleaner. I think I used this stuff. http://www.parish-supply.com/citrus_cleaner_degreaser.htm

I soaked it down with a pump-sprayer, brushed it with a soft brush and let it soak a short while. Then I rinsed it off with a garden hose. I turned off the bilge pumps and shop-vacced the rinse solution from the bilge. I felt better using an environmentally friendly and non-flammable product. It was very effective and made the bilge smell great, if you like oranges.

Summer job at a boat yard during college. Since I was "the kid," I got the dirty work. They sent me down in an oily bilge with a 5 gallon can of toluene and a bunch of rags and told me to get it ready to paint. Never did remember much about the next few days. Later, in med school, I found out that toluene fumes can cause, among other things, irreversible fulminant hepatitis. Guess I got lucky, but something that smells like oranges and doesn't kill your liver sounds much better!

DVD

Golden Dawn's engine room was completely redone in 2001 due to an unfortunate sinking. But it looks good now!

Attachments

• engine_looking_forward.jpg
    engine_looking_forward.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 170
  • electrical2.jpg
    electrical2.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 168
  • golden dawn 0001.jpg
    golden dawn 0001.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 160
Woooow ... this is a great looking ER !!!!

Very nice layout and well done!

Erik

yup - it is a beauty. All to ABYC standards and the work supervised by an independent marine surveyor. I have never owned a boat in such good condition. Prior to the engine room rebuild, the steel tanks were removed (a known problem in the 25 yr old Krogens) and replaced with four aluminum tanks. It just goes to show what can do with an unlimited budget and I am glad to have inherited it.

Yup. Same w Willards. I put two new aluminum in mine too.

shipshape wrote:
I am getting there ..... it's not a real big ER ... but I think I can compete*
biggrin.gif
*.... it's a crawl in ER .... and the engine is painted in fast red .....
furious.gif

-- Edited by shipshape on Wednesday 25th of May 2011 04:39:51 AM

-- Edited by shipshape on Wednesday 25th of May 2011 04:41:44 AM

-- Edited by shipshape on Wednesday 25th of May 2011 04:42:36 AM
*Ship Shape

What is that exhaust muffler you have there? Looks small... a space saver !

thanks

R.

-- Edited by ralphyost on Tuesday 7th of June 2011 06:56:19 PM

G'day*ralphyost

The exhaust is a Vetus Waterlock LP75 .... yes it' small he .... looks like it does the trick ...

Found this picture that shows why I love the engine room on Moonstruck.* Yes, that is me standing up.* David James had asked to go down there.* It is great being able to walk between the engines.

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Thursday 18th of August 2011 04:29:10 PM

Attachments

• moonstruck engine room.jpg
    moonstruck engine room.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 158
  • moonstruck engine room.jpg
    moonstruck engine room.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 158
Moonstruck wrote:
David James had asked to go down there.
* * * ** You're a good man, Don Moon. David James is a lucky boy!

Moonstruck wrote:
Found this picture that shows why I love the engine room on Moonstruck.
******* Even though my ER is not a "stand up", I love the layout, plumbing & wiring.

Attachments

• img_4007.jpg
    img_4007.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 158
  • img_4008.jpg
    img_4008.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 159
  • dscn1172_1.jpg
    dscn1172_1.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 155
  • img_4000.jpg
    img_4000.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 159
Mine isn't stand-up either, but there are three hatches running the width of the pilothouse.* The port hatch provides access to the converter, master electrical switches,*engine and transmission dip sticks (wish those were on the other side), and house batteries.* The middle hatch is directly over the engine.* The starboard hatch accesses*engine battery, water heater, cooling water inlet, compressor and tank for air horns, water pump, and fuel routing valves.* The battery cases provide handy seats.

Seahorse did a professional job installing all that stuff.

-- Edited by markpierce on Thursday 13th of October 2011 04:46:56 PM

Attachments

• img_0968.jpg
    img_0968.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 158
  • img_0969.jpg
    img_0969.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 153
  • racor.jpg
    racor.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 153
  • polisher.jpg
    polisher.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 168
  • eng3.jpg
    eng3.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 164
  • engroom11.jpg
    engroom11.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 156
Am in the process of cleaning up my engine room! Has anyone tried 'De-Oil-It', or 'Z-Care' or 'Bilgebully'? I have quite a mess after changing oil, fuel filters and coolant.
The only product I've found here (Cayman Islands) is Bilgebully, but no product reviews. I can have things shipped in but don't want to spend the bucks without some confidence they'll work. Advice appreciated.

This is the first time I have seen this thread.
I was having a good day. Now I am so jealous.

I have the worst engine room imaginable. It is, without a doubt, the absolute worst thing about my boat. :nonono: It has only overhead access. Any dropped tools and parts go down to a bilge that can only be accessed by a trained orangutan with 5ft arms.
I have to disassemble the settee to access the alternator.
I do most of my engine work by feel due to no possible line of sight. Lots of fun when the engine is hot and I'm rolling it a rough beam sea, about to add my lunch to the contents of the bilge.
All the blood rushes to my head when I do engine work. Any contents of the shirt pockets get emptied into the bilge when checking the oil (including my Galaxy S3 two days after I bought it).
The engine and bilge need painting but the orangutan won't cooperate.

I'd post a photo but I'm embarrassed. I'd also need a camera mounted on a remote control arm to get a side shot.

You know why I really have sails? I need them when I drop my last impellor into the bilge and I've run out of bananas.

Last edited:
I have the worst engine room imaginable. It is, without a doubt, the absolute worst thing about my boat.

I'd post a photo but I'm embarrassed. I'd also need a camera mounted on a remote control arm to get a side shot.

You know why I really have sails? I need them when I drop my last impellor into the bilge and I've run out of bananas.
:D:D:D I think you should really level with us....It can't be that bad, can it?:D:D

:D:D:D I think you should really level with us....It can't be that bad, can it?:D:D

My engine "room" truly is that bad. Well maybe the orangutan isnt true, but the rest is no bull.
I have long arms, but to reach something that has dropped into the bilge (like my phone) I have to balance on the edge of the cockpit, with my center of gravity on the wrong side of the hole and stretch 3/4 of my body down alongside the engine with my legs in the air. My fingers just reach the shallow part of the bilge.

From that position I use a range of scoops on handles, and picker-upper gadgets, and extendable magnets to get to the deeper end of the bilge.

I am afraid to clean out the bilge pump suction strainer as I'm sure I would never return from that mission.

Definitely - the engine room from hell. :eek:

Last edited:
Well, if you can't get an ER pic, I'd settle for that picture of you 3/4 into the hole with your legs in the air.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom