Possible owner CHB 34

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mgtgrafix

Veteran Member
So we just put an offer in on a1976 chb34 trawler. Offer was accepted. Survey is set for jan 31st. Teak decks removed. New aluminum windows. Super excited but nervous. We currently have a Baylliner 2850 that we will be selliing this spring, so this one is a little daunting.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180116-120701.jpg
    Screenshot_20180116-120701.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 167
Survey? Is that a hull survey AND engine/generator survey?

Overall survey. No mechanical, but won't do a motor survey unless something comess up with the sea trial. It's 1k for the standard survey. Another 1k for mechanical. Won't do it unless it needs it

My advice is get both surveys. Worth every penny! If an engine craps out for a cause that a survey would have caught. That expense is far far more $$$ than the 1k for a survey. Well unless you are a certified diesel mechanic....Just say'in

BTW Welcome to TF!!!!

I have one of these, albeit the sedan version, not aft cabin, but otherwise the same. If the windows have been replaced, and the teak decks taken up, then so far it sounds good.

However, what is also important is, was the deck then reinforced and recovered with new fibreglass non-skid, as mine was.

Also, have there been any leaks down onto the tops of the fuel tanks, causing hard to see rust and holes on top, which is one of the commonest bugbears of the design. Actually a problem with all those Asian built trawler style boats in fact, until they stopped screwing the teak down, and went over to gluing it down.

This results in fuel tank leak issues and often replacement is needed on many of them, unless caught in time. Such a shame too, as would have been so easy to avoid with some forethought re the likely outcome of multiple screwholes into the upper f/glass layer.

Also check for the possible water damage to the interior and walls, as back then the cabin was not f/glass, but a thin layer of mat or just paint over timber, and not great timber at that. The window replacement hints at that being a real possibility.

Having said all that, however, they are lovely seaworthy and sea-kindly vessels and a delight to cruise in. So don't be too put off. Just be alert, but not too alarmed. Much of the cosmetic deterioration can be restored by the DYI approach if you are keen.

Last edited:
Fuel tanks are my concern as well. I spoke with the surveyor who is very familiar with clb's. We talked extensively about them and I feel confident that he is the guy I need for this survey.

Will there be bad, I expect there may be, but the bottom line is "what am I am willing to deal with". I'm good with that and will decide once it is done. I will be there with the surveyor and we will do the sea trial with the owner the same day.

I have one of these, albeit the sedan version, not aft cabin, but otherwise the same. If the windows have been replaced, and the teak decks taken up, then so far it sounds good.

However, what is also important is, was the deck then reinforced and recovered with new fibreglass non-skid, as mine was.

Also, have there been any leaks down onto the tops of the fuel tanks, causing hard to see rust and holes on top, which is one of the commonest bugbears of the design. Actually a problem with all those Asian built trawler style boats in fact, until they stopped screwing the teak down, and went over to gluing it down.

This results in fuel tank leak issues and often replacement is needed on many of them, unless caught in time. Such a shame too, as would have been so easy to avoid with some forethought re the likely outcome of multiple screwholes into the upper f/glass layer.

Also check for the possible water damage to the interior and walls, as back then the cabin was not f/glass, but a thin layer of mat or just paint over timber, and not great timber at that. The window replacement hints at that being a real possibility.

Having said all that, however, they are lovely seaworthy and sea-kindly vessels and a delight to cruise in. So don't be too put off. Just be alert, but not too alarmed. Much of the cosmetic deterioration can be restored by the DYI approach if you are keen.

That`s 2 common and expensive items fixed. As Peter says, look to see how far the knock on problems from a failing deck went before the fix was done, tanks being a likely victim.
Price, your diagnostic skills, and whether it gets a hard enough run during sea trial to bring out any issues,may help whether to do a mech survey too, it`s your call. Is there a genset, they can be harder to check than engine + gearbox.

Last edited:
No genset but that's ok. I will purchase a honda 2000 in the future if needed. But thank you for all that have responded so far. I appreciate the experience here, which is why I joined

Last edited:
No genset but that's ok. I will purchase a home a (? Honda) 2000 in the future if needed. But that No (? thank) you for all that have responded so far. I appreciate the experience here, which is why I joined

Voice recognition software is great, but not perfect. You need to proof read before clicking on submit. I find it great for txt messages on the iPhone, as on that it's very good, but some edits nearly always needed. I've been caught out with that too. :D

Good luck with your survey. We very recently purchased our old trawler and decided to get both a hull and mechanical survey.

For us it was well worth the expense as the hull survey saved us some significant money on the purchase price (which will still be spent mitigating the survey "list") and the mechanical survey gave us confidence in the machinery to move forward with the purchase.

Keep us posted!

Don't forget to inspect the electrical wiring, it can be a hidden fire hazard. There are a couple of threads here that reference the problems that bad wiring cause.

I'm pretty sure the surveyor will check but I will be there and make sure. Thank you for that

Don't forget to inspect the electrical wiring, it can be a hidden fire hazard. There are a couple of threads here that reference the problems that bad wiring cause.

Were trying not to get excited because you never know what the survey will bring, its scheduled for the 31st, so we will see.

I have one of these and have taken everything apart and put it back together countless times pm me anytime.

Where does the boat lie now?
$1000 is a chunk of change for many of us. If the boat is very near a mechanic you could, most likely get a survey covering most of engine issues that frequently come up. I moor at LaConner and there is more than one possibility here and perhaps in Everett too.
Look at it from an hourly basis. If you were a mechanic and perhaps even slow in winter and were only a few minutes from a boat spending 1.5 to two hours (two to $300) on a less than a full survey I'll bet you'd do it. You'd probably cover 3/4 or more of the usual survey for 25% of the cost. I wouldn't just throw $1000 down that hole either and I'm assuming this boat has a single engine and is in the water.
Just a thought.

1k includes the haulout The boat is in the water and in Olympia

Where does the boat lie now?
$1000 is a chunk of change for many of us. If the boat is very near a mechanic you could, most likely get a survey covering most of engine issues that frequently come up. I moor at LaConner and there is more than one possibility here and perhaps in Everett too.
Look at it from an hourly basis. If you were a mechanic and perhaps even slow in winter and were only a few minutes from a boat spending 1.5 to two hours (two to $300) on a less than a full survey I'll bet you'd do it. You'd probably cover 3/4 or more of the usual survey for 25% of the cost. I wouldn't just throw $1000 down that hole either and I'm assuming this boat has a single engine and is in the water.
Just a thought.

Should be able to do a pretty good survey in the water.
The haul out is probably for the hull survey.

We were in Olympia last spring .. when they broke the windows at Starbucks in the big demonstration.

Damn...that must have been crazy. Yes the haulout is for the hull survey

Should be able to do a pretty good survey in the water.
The haul out is probably for the hull survey.

We were in Olympia last spring .. when they broke the windows at Starbucks in the big demonstration.

If nothing else, you can purchase oil sample kits ($35-45) and pull an oil sample after the engine runs and heats up, transmission oil as well and send it for analysis of wear and other potential issues. Google Diesel engine oil and transmission oil analysis . . . at lest you will get a little insight.

Awesome...just ordered my kit. thanks for the info...

If nothing else, you can purchase oil sample kits ($35-45) and pull an oil sample after the engine runs and heats up, transmission oil as well and send it for analysis of wear and other potential issues. Google Diesel engine oil and transmission oil analysis . . . at lest you will get a little insight.

So survey went very well. Fuel tanks look great with so signs of rust on the outside. A couple of soft spots on the deck but nothing too serious. We plan to keep her in a covered slip. A few small electrical things need to be taken care if, as in terminals that need to be covered and wing nuts removed.

Th only major thing was it will need a new how water heater and that's something that should be pretty easy for my skills.

Next up is mechanical. A couple of the injectors show a small leak and the raw water pump has a small leak as well. Just want to be safe.

Haul out was done and the bottom is sound with no issues. Zincs are already replaced, just needs bottom paint.

Next up is mechanical. A couple of the injectors show a small leak and the raw water pump has a small leak as well. Just want to be safe.
If it`s a Ford Lehman,rather than repair your rw pump,consider the replacement updated version available from American Diesel featuring an improved drive, not prone to breaking like the original.

Good luck.

I purchased a CHB 34 last spring myself so am aware of the nerves lol. 2 small bits of advice. First, make damn sure you have a surveyor that knows his job top to bottom, stem to stern but also is totally aware of who he is working for. Second, do not pass on having a competent marine mechanic do a full inspection complete with oil analysis (both engine and gear box). If possible try to coordinate having the mechanic and the surveyor both aboard for the sea trial.

Done and done. Our surveyor, when we met said "I work for you". Our survey was 7 hours. He checked everything. I did my research from the advise here and the CHB checklist and made sure all was done. He's the one who told me to make sure to do the mechanical survey. Setting that up now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom