Burnt Store Marina?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Active Captain says that Boca Grande Marina is $3.25 per foot for transients. If they have long term slips I will bet they are really expensive like everything in Boca Grande.

It is a nice marina. I fueled up there many years ago. No pool though as I recall.

David

Yeah, and it’s pretty far from Tampa where I have to fly in. Will probably stick to Punta Gorda marinas or Burnt Store. But Boca has that beach!

Dude, you asked for input, and you are getting it. Here's mine. I agree with David on both points. Boca Grande Marina is pricey, and Gasparilla Marina is worth a look. I have loved Boca Grande Marina since it was the old Millers Marina. The location can't be beat. You can walk anywhere. The staff is accommodating, but they are mainly a transit marina. They make their money on group cruising clubs. It's a great location. Bathrooms were so-so with one shower each for men and women.

About 8 or 10 miles up near the bridge is Gasparilla. We have had Moonstruck there for 3 extended stays. There is a good restaurant on site plus the Fishery Restaurant is close by. They have fresh seafood caught on their own boats. A Publix Market is close. We loved the place. You can reach the great Pine Island Sound cruising without any bridges to worry about.

Slip next to me at Marina Jack has been open for a while now, but I think it might be only 35’. But if you find something there, I’d be happy to keep an eye on things for you when you’re away. And only charge the occasional cocktail.

I hate paying MJ money, but the location is really hard to beat. Beach / sandbars are easily within dinghy range, if you can launch it. Or bike range, or the bus.

Slip next to me at Marina Jack has been open for a while now, but I think it might be only 35’. But if you find something there, I’d be happy to keep an eye on things for you when you’re away. And only charge the occasional cocktail.

I hate paying MJ money, but the location is really hard to beat. Beach / sandbars are easily within dinghy range, if you can launch it. Or bike range, or the bus.

What sandbar is dinghy range?

My boat is 41’ loa but 4’ of that is bow pulpit.

Dude, you asked for input, and you are getting it. Here's mine. I agree with David on both points. Boca Grande Marina is pricey, and Gasparilla Marina is worth a look. I have loved Boca Grande Marina since it was the old Millers Marina. The location can't be beat. You can walk anywhere. The staff is accommodating, but they are mainly a transit marina. They make their money on group cruising clubs. It's a great location. Bathrooms were so-so with one shower each for men and women.

About 8 or 10 miles up near the bridge is Gasparilla. We have had Moonstruck there for 3 extended stays. There is a good restaurant on site plus the Fishery Restaurant is close by. They have fresh seafood caught on their own boats. A Publix Market is close. We loved the place. You can reach the great Pine Island Sound cruising without any bridges to worry about.

Thanks for the input Don. I will definitely check out Gasparilla Marina— I had never heard of that one.

I can also endorse Gasparilla marina good service and anxious to please and so very clean

I wonder if there is a shortage of dockage along the whole southwest coast? A whole lot of private docks and seawalls were damaged by hurricane Irma. The people who own those docks will all be looking for temporary dockage in commercial marinas until repairs are completed.

What sandbar is dinghy range?

My boat is 41’ loa but 4’ of that is bow pulpit.

Look at Google earth - or your charts - at Big Sarasota Pass. N side of the pass is a park, so all public access beach which follows along the pass and then turns N along the Gulf. Also within this immediate area are some nice mangrove tunnels which are fun in a kayak / SUP. It’s a small oasis within the larger ‘civilized’ area.

At the mouth of the pass, a bit S, is a large island /sandbar. If you choose to look out to sea rather than back at the buildings, it is beautiful.

All this is within 2-3 miles of Marina Jack, and it can be done either in the ICW or in a dinghy you could shortcut thru the canals in Bird Key and get out there with minimal exposure to weather or the ICW jockeys.

On the downside, you will frequently be far from the only boat out there enjoying it. But if you avoid the typical amateur hours, it’s not bad. IMG_4984.jpgIMG_4994.jpg

And FYI, both pics are taken from my boat anchored at the edge of the ~20’ deep channel which butts right up to the sandbar (great unless too many wakes on a weekend afternoon). Biggest downside for you may be that Big Pass is not the deepest, most confidence-inspiring way if you want to get to the Gulf. But if you can deal with ~6’ of water (it’s all sand) you’ll be OK.

Thanks. That sandbar and park look awesome. I only have a 10’ dinghy so I like the idea of cutting through bird key.

That pass looks scary IMO.

I wonder if there is a shortage of dockage along the whole southwest coast? A whole lot of private docks and seawalls were damaged by hurricane Irma. The people who own those docks will all be looking for temporary dockage in commercial marinas until repairs are completed.

I have not heard of a shortage. One large sailboat that draws 7' came into our basin at Isles Yacht Club for a month until he could find a private dock with an undamaged seawall that could accommodate him. Since Irma the City Council has urged neighbors to loan or rent their slips to those disposed from their own. It has been very successful.

The liability issue is addressed between the host and the guest.

Fort Myers filled much more quickly than normal this fall. Wasn't able to get my spot in the municipal marina this fall and had to hunt a bit. It was kind of like musical chairs, have a slip before the music stops. As more of the facilities reopen in the Keys, think there will be some migration South.

Ted

Thanks. That sandbar and park look awesome. I only have a 10’ dinghy so I like the idea of cutting through bird key.

That pass looks scary IMO.

Big Pass is not for the faint of heart, but certainly doable with your draft of less than 4’. Decent-sized boats go in and out on a daily basis, and the channel, such as it is, is marked. And the TowboatUS guys and plenty of charter boats operate out of MJ, so good local knowledge should always be easy to get.

But if it scares you too much, the downside of being here is the next good inlets are ~1 1/2 hours away in a slow boat; Longboat to the N or Venice to the S.

Has anyone stayed at Aquamarina at Palm Harbor? Allegedly one can dinghy across the ICW and access the gulf side beach? Can anyone confirm that’s possible?

It looks possible in a dinghy but there may not be a legal place to land. It all looks like private property on the Gulf side of the ICW. Maybe at the Palm Island ferry landing. From there it will be a half mile walk to the beach.

David

Has anyone stayed at Aquamarina at Palm Harbor? Allegedly one can dinghy across the ICW and access the gulf side beach? Can anyone confirm that’s possible?

Palm Harbor is a well protected marina with good power and depth. You can take your dinghy 1/4 mile south and enjoy the Beach State Park of Don Pedro Island State Park. Very nice. Both beach and slips for day boats.

Burnt Store is ultra protected and calm, but as others said, it’s pretty remote from the action.

A couple of the places up by Cape Haze were OK.

Boca Grande isn’t really for permanent dockage.

I really like Snook Bight, but it has a bad current and a bit of a wake issue being right on a very narrow stretch of the ICW.

I have kept my boat at both Cape Harbour Marina, which is right on the Miserable Mile but behind a lock, and at Tarpon Point Marina. TP was nicer for sure.

Palm Harbor is a well protected marina with good power and depth..

They have problems with 50 amp power on the transient dock. If you use 30 amps you will be fine.

It is a nice stop for Leverock's and Rum Bay restaurants. Nothing else is close.

Nice pool and friendly folks.

The reason I thought Palm Harbor (or Aquamarina they are called now?) might be good is because of the good access to the beach by dinghy possibly, and still pretty close to Boca and the good cruising of the Pine Island Sound.

But yeah, doesn’t look like many restaurants around close.

I can use one 30amp if I only use one AC. Or two 30s to run everything.

cardude01;630095 because of the good access to the beach by dinghy possibly said:
That is a very private island. You might have to be carrying to get the beach. :)

Dude, Gasparilla Marina had no pool as of our last visit, but the restrooms & showers were new and spotless. A short dinghy ride is Gasparilla Pass. It's a small boat, local knowledge pass. It's a good play area for families. You can get to the beach on either side. Oh, did I mention that the fishing is good?

About 10 miles south of the marina is a pass that you may squeeze through if your boat can handle 60-90' depths===Boca Grande Pass. The name means big mouth, and so it is. It's the deepest natural pass on the FL West Coast.

I have to +1 Moonstruck here. Gasparilla is out of the way by car, but not very, and way better than Burnt Store. And that would be a great dinghy ride to the pass, with what look like gorgeous beach areas when you get to the Gulf (as I see them from the road). And then you’re pretty close to Pine Island Sound for actual sailing, and the best pass on this coast if you want out.

If I didn’t live in Sarasota, that area would be my favorite in SWFL.

Dude, Gasparilla Marina had no pool as of our last visit, but the restrooms & showers were new and spotless. A short dinghy ride is Gasparilla Pass. It's a small boat, local knowledge pass. It's a good play area for families. You can get to the beach on either side. Oh, did I mention that the fishing is good?

About 10 miles south of the marina is a pass that you may squeeze through if your boat can handle 60-90' depths===Boca Grande Pass. The name means big mouth, and so it is. It's the deepest natural pass on the FL West Coast.

DW and I are making a trip soon to check out some marinas, and Gasparilla is def on the list. I think I can get out of not having a pool at the marina if I can access the beach in the dinghy or quickly by car.

I’ve been through the Boca Inlet. I’m an inlet wuss and even I wasn’t scared of Boca! [emoji23]

I have to +1 Moonstruck here. Gasparilla is out of the way by car, but not very, and way better than Burnt Store. And that would be a great dinghy ride to the pass, with what look like gorgeous beach areas when you get to the Gulf (as I see them from the road). And then you’re pretty close to Pine Island Sound for actual sailing, and the best pass on this coast if you want out.

If I didn’t live in Sarasota, that area would be my favorite in SWFL.

Cool. Yeah the fairly close access to the great cruising area is why I’m trying to get down that way.

Is Gasparilla hard to get to by car? From google maps looks like Gasparilla is 1:50 from Tampa where Bunt Store is about 2 hours.

Cool. Yeah the fairly close access to the great cruising area is why I’m trying to get down that way.

Is Gasparilla hard to get to by car? From google maps looks like Gasparilla is 1:50 from Tampa where Bunt Store is about 2 hours.

Burnt Store is not that hard to get to via the highway; to me it’s a question of what else is around it. Admittedly I’m not very familiar with that area, but my impression is that Gasparilla is closer to shopping, dining, etc. And if you want access to clear turquoise water and sandbars, Gasparilla wins.

In reality you just need to see them both before you decide, though.

Well, the wife needs to see them so she can be happy. [emoji23]

I like my current marina, but you know how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom