Is there a chemical answer to black water tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gaston

Guru
1st I have read Peggys Bible
2nd I have tried Noliflex but the stink comes back $45 a bottle in Australia
3 I have flushed the 100liter tank and inspected there is no build up
4 Im in brackish water ?
5 I have fitted carbon filter
6 Is Sodium Percarbonate the answer
7 Im fed up
8 Should I change diet :D

don't eat so many boiled eggs

If you have read Peggy's book you should already know the chemical answer is OXYGEN... O2... If you don't have enpugh it will STINK.

I ended up adding a bubbler and it has worked wonders.

See.
http://dkloeber.wixsite.com/bacchus/projects-pg-2
Tank Aeration

Last edited:
You could try rerouting your vent to the highest point on your boat. that would at least get the odor away from you.

You could try rerouting your vent to the highest point on your boat. that would at least get the odor away from you.

Good thought but we near live on the flybridge so best keep the stink away from up there .And I dont think all the stink is from the breather :confused:

Second on the oxygen. We had a previous boat that had a horrible smell outside at the vent every time we flushed the heads. We installed a Groco Sweetank and in 2 hours the smell went away and we never put any chemicals in the holding tank again. Never had any more problems with the venting smell. If you have a charcoal filter in the vent line, it will inhibit the oxygen flow in and out of the tank and make the problem worse. Ideally you wold have 2 vents, one on each side of the boat to let air flow through the tank. If not try a Sweettank to introduce oxygen into the tank.

4 Im in brackish water ?
7 Im fed up

The carbon filter may be inhibiting oxygen flow.

FWIW, we use Noflex now (KO, before) -- mostly just to head off sludge build-up -- but we actually had no odor before using either, nor after using those products. OTOH, ours is fresh water flush.

-Chris

Greetings,
Chemicals are NOT the answer unless you're Timothy Leary...

200w.gif

Put a couple of new vents in. You want 1 inch vent lines to get a good air flow.
The vent lines on most all boats are way to small.

400 litre black tank onboard and two years on the hook.
1 inch vent is all there is.
Only time we notice a smell is when we pump out.
Fresh water flush toilets.

Some good ideas introducing oxygen is a winter project but Im still looking for a chemical answer to black water tank? ??????????

I guess we do not understand what you are asking... What exactly are you looking for?

Put a couple of new vents in. You want 1 inch vent lines to get a good air flow.
The vent lines on most all boats are way to small.

Third on the oxygen!!
On a previous boat, by running two 1" vent lines to opposite sides of the boat, there was good cross ventilation and the stink was gone.

4 Im in brackish water ?
7 Im fed up

I have a whole bunch of questions that need answers before I can offer any solutions, and I think it'll be easier to tackle this problem one-on-one. So how 'bout sending me a PM?

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein

Some good ideas introducing oxygen is a winter project but Im still looking for a chemical answer to black water tank? ??????????

I think the answer is probably no. Hence the other suggestions.

You might be able to "perfume" the odor with chemicals; many don't think that's a real "solution."

-Chris

The question is, where is the odor coming from? If it's from the vent (and the tank), moving the vent might work but on many boats it wouldn't be practical. If the odor is from the vent, it's because the tank stinks. There are ways to deal with that.

If the odor is in the head compartment (not the vent) and is mostly the first few flushes after the head has been unused for a while, the odor is being caused by organisms drawn in by the raw water for flushing. In between uses, they dry up, die and rot. When you first flush after disuse, they are washed out into the head and stink up the compartment.

A screen or filter on the flushing water may help but the best solution is a new head connected to the potable water system for flushing.

You need to determine where the problem is coming from before you set out to fix it.

Have you cleaned your vent line by flushing it with water .
the waste might be in there . Noflex can't get to it

It could also be the waste lines themselves. They will, over time, absorb odors and will need to be replaced. Even hoses rated for 'head' use, eventually will fail.

Good thought but we near live on the flybridge so best keep the stink away from up there .And I dont think all the stink is from the breather :confused:

Not sure I understand. If the odor isn’t coming form the tank vent but you notice the odor in the boat, it could be your hoses are permeated and need to be replaced.

Back
Top Bottom