Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I continue to be in awe of this project and the high quality of the work. Beautiful.
Good onya mate!

Matt, you have exceeded my expectations. As Eric said the shadow lines created by the cabin facia over the large side windows, the rub rails, and the sheer line are pure design. No ornamentation needed.

Here are a few descriptive words that come to mind.

magnificent, sumptuous, grand, impressive, imposing, superb, spectacular, resplendent, opulent, luxurious, deluxe, rich, fine, costly, expensive, lavish, gorgeous, glorious, dazzling, elegant, regal, handsome, beautiful

Matt, you have exceeded my expectations. As Eric said the shadow lines created by the cabin facia over the large side windows, the rub rails, and the sheer line are pure design. No ornamentation needed.

Here are a few descriptive words that come to mind.

magnificent, sumptuous, grand, impressive, imposing, superb, spectacular, resplendent, opulent, luxurious, deluxe, rich, fine, costly, expensive, lavish, gorgeous, glorious, dazzling, elegant, regal, handsome, beautiful

Wow that’s quite high praise there mate, Thanks. Don’t know what to say. Thanks again

Test fitting the main rail of the bow rail for size. shape and height as well as the stanchon angles before taking it off to weld them and the midrail on and fitting the stainless cabling. Not sure what everyone’s height of their railings are but I’m making mine 600mm High. This pic shows the height at 800mm but I’ve since decided to drop it 200mm. 800mm is too high and 400mm is too low so I’ll run with 600mm I think.

IMG_8395.jpg

Last edited:
I think your good on the 600 mm. I measured the railing heights on 4 boats here. The low was 450mm, then 584mm, 635mm and ours is 813mm. The 450mm was smaller express cruiser. The 2 middle sizes look like the most common in the marina in the 34’ to 40’ length boats.

Matt that’s one good looking boat .

Test fitting the main rail of the bow rail for size. shape and height as well as the stanchon angles before taking it off to weld them and the midrail on and fitting the stainless cabling. Not sure what everyone’s height of their railings are but I’m making mine 600mm High. This pic shows the height at 800mm but I’ve since decided to drop it 200mm. 800mm is too high and 400mm is too low so I’ll run with 600mm I think.

View attachment 72050

Please notice the BIG smile on her chine! Goes all the way from stern to bow!! :thumb: :D

I think your good on the 600 mm. I measured the railing heights on 4 boats here. The low was 450mm, then 584mm, 635mm and ours is 813mm. The 450mm was smaller express cruiser. The 2 middle sizes look like the most common in the marina in the 34’ to 40’ length boats.

Thanks Larry. I really appreciate the recon work you did. That’s very nice of you mate. I feel better about my decision now.

Last edited:
I can't imagine how satisfying it must be to just take ten steps back and just look at her now. There are quite a few parents that are less proud of their children than you should be of that boat. Glad you're back M8.

I can't imagine how satisfying it must be to just take ten steps back and just look at her now. There are quite a few parents that are less proud of their children than you should be of that boat. Glad you're back M8.

Yeah I did have a bit of a moment when I stood there looking at her after I finished the primer. Stood there for a solid 30mins just staring. Felt like 10mins tho. I’m very happy with her mate. I’ve been asked a lot lately would I do it again. 100% I would and I don’t even hesitate in responding but this time I’d do it off plans or build a new one from scratch. Making it up as I go has cost me time and money. I’m very glad that this part of my journey is coming to a close but I’ll also be sad and eventually get bored with the extra 45hrs per week I will get back. It’s been like this for 7 years. I do however look forward with excitement of what adventures lie in wait for us and Solstice and the new chapter. I might need to start a new thread for that ;-)

Pouring with rain here today so I’m in my mates workshop making up the bowrail this afternoon. Here’s a sneak peak of what’s been done so far. I still have to drill the holes for the stainless steel cabling then fit it with some crimped turnbuckles and polish it all but I’m getting there.

IMG_8444.jpg
IMG_8443.jpg
IMG_8439.jpg

Yeah I did have a bit of a moment when I stood there looking at her after I finished the primer. Stood there for a solid 30mins just staring. Felt like 10mins tho. I’m very happy with her mate. I’ve been asked a lot lately would I do it again. 100% I would and I don’t even hesitate in responding but this time I’d do it off plans or build a new one from scratch. Making it up as I go has cost me time and money. I’m very glad that this part of my journey is coming to a close but I’ll also be sad and eventually get bored with the extra 45hrs per week I will get back. It’s been like this for 7 years. I do however look forward with excitement of what adventures lie in wait for us and Solstice and the new chapter. I might need to start a new thread for that ;-)

OMG, Matt, my buddy! 45 hrs. a week for 7 yrs... plus time on your regular job. Be careful of your health... please.

What you have done and are still accomplishing on Solstice [Axe reincarnate] is nothing short of miraculous. What you are is nothing short of fully needed in this world.

Everyone loves your boat and what your restoration on it stands for... but we love you much more than that... So, again I say; Be careful of your health... Please!

Your mate Art :D

PS: Immediately after posting this I went back to your 1st post... holly shaaaat! What you have done is astounding, magical, profound, and virtually unbelievable. You've got my vote for all of life! :thumb: :dance:

Last edited:
OMG, Matt, my buddy! 45 hrs. a week for 7 yrs... plus time on your regular job. Be careful of your health... please.

What you have done and are still accomplishing on Solstice [Axe reincarnate] is nothing short of miraculous. What you are is nothing short of fully needed in this world.

Everyone loves your boat and what your restoration on it stands for... but we love you much more than that... So, again I say; Be careful of your health... Please!

Your mate Art :D

PS: Immediately after posting this I went back to your 1st post... holly shaaaat! What you have done is astounding, magical, profound, and virtually unbelievable. You've got my vote for all of life! :thumb: :dance:

She’ll be right mate. On the home stretch now. The hard work has been done. I couldn’t have done it without your support Art. I can’t thank you enough for the help and guidance you’ve given me brother.

She’ll be right mate. On the home stretch now. The hard work has been done. I couldn’t have done it without your support Art. I can’t thank you enough for the help and guidance you’ve given me brother.

Number one - You are exceedingly welcome!

Number two - Any time Bro!!

Number three - Now, I'm blushing!!! :blush: :dance:

Tell ya what, if you get bored with all of your new free time, I'll buy some plans and ship them to ya. I'd like a Hendo 42 please.

Hi Matt,

Getting sooooo close to splashing are you? Might be a good time for a reminder of what you and Tad talked about quite a while back.

Seemed like you had it all figured out at the time, about how to test stability while your boat is still in the slings, but in all the excitement and waves of emotion of the first launch things could get missed.

Trawler Forum - View Single Post - Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

We'll all be there with you in spirit!

Hi Mr. H
Since your boat is named solstice you should have this on the boat
Its an vegvisir for protection and never to get lost in bad weather or times its from the vikings old norse people.
Hope the pic shows or i did it right :)

Attachments

• D40C21BD-10D9-4D53-9EE0-93D841F77E92.jpg
    D40C21BD-10D9-4D53-9EE0-93D841F77E92.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 49
I just want to say this is one of the most incredible projects I have ever seen. Your skill set is off the hook! Your vision and tenacity to see this through is inspiring. I've seen so many projects, (cars, boats etc..) that start with a vision and excitement, but end with a rotting carcass as soon as the enthusiasm fades. Keep up the great work, I'm looking forward to the finish project!

Thanks,
Steve

Hi Matt,

Getting sooooo close to splashing are you? Might be a good time for a reminder of what you and Tad talked about quite a while back.

Seemed like you had it all figured out at the time, about how to test stability while your boat is still in the slings, but in all the excitement and waves of emotion of the first launch things could get missed.

Trawler Forum - View Single Post - Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

We'll all be there with you in spirit!

Hi Murray,
Vessel Stability isn’t far from my mind, matter of fact it’s been the monkey on my shoulder this whole time. It’s hard to make something and not know if it will work or not. I was trying to explain the process to a visitor the other day. The original loading plan remains. Once lowered I’ll do a stabilisation test in the slings and have quite a few 20kg bags of sand from a hardware shop in my Ute on standby. Once she’s good to go I’ll take it from the slips for a trial run and move the bags around accordingly. Once that’s done I’ll look to make some lead ingots to replace the sand bags for a more permanent solution.

Hi Mr. H

Since your boat is named solstice you should have this on the boat

Its an vegvisir for protection and never to get lost in bad weather or times its from the vikings old norse people.

Hope the pic shows or i did it right :)

Thanks mate. I better wallpaper that whole insides with this lol

I just want to say this is one of the most incredible projects I have ever seen. Your skill set is off the hook! Your vision and tenacity to see this through is inspiring. I've seen so many projects, (cars, boats etc..) that start with a vision and excitement, but end with a rotting carcass as soon as the enthusiasm fades. Keep up the great work, I'm looking forward to the finish project!

Thanks,
Steve

Gday steve.
Thanks very much for you comments and support buddy. I appreciate it :)

Ok I’ve almost finished the bowrail. Just need to fit the stainless steel cabling, will then fit the bowrail once all of this rain passes, drill all the mounting holes then wrap it up and put it in the shed until I’ve finished painting the top coat then pull it out and fix it all off

IMG_1516087858.146938.jpg
IMG_1516087882.386396.jpg
IMG_1516087891.384604.jpg
IMG_1516087901.023123.jpg

Ok I’ve almost finished the bowrail. Just need to fit the stainless steel cabling, will then fit the bowrail once all of this rain passes, drill all the mounting holes then wrap it up and put it in the shed until I’ve finished painting the top coat then pull it out and fix it all off

View attachment 72158
View attachment 72159
View attachment 72160
View attachment 72161

Matt - BEAUTIFUL WORK ON RAILING!

You never cease to impress.

Seldom ever do craftsmen as fully competent in correctly accomplishing any style trade application come along. You are not only a virtuoso of the hand-trades... but also you are a freaking genius in mind's eye design follow through. Not to mention being damn nice fellow to know!

Go Solstice.... GOOOOO! :thumb:

Cheers!

Art

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom